Asset Database Backup: Wow! Over 20,000 files!

Packaged assets are an all-in-one install for DLC and built-in. It was a direction N3V took with T:ANE to make DLC and built-in easier to manage and ensure that all the assets are available. With content getting larger, it became impossible to include more than some base content within program install and N3V included the built-in routes and DLC routes and content in the packages. You witnessed this with the 9.8 GB download. Imagine how huge that download would be with all of the built-in routes and content included.

Sometimes there are packaged assets that are updated outside of the normal full update. Instead of downloading the whole package again, these individual components are placed on the DLS where they can be downloaded easily. To download these assets, you need to right-click and choose View Asset Versions and then download the assets from that window.

When checking for updates using the filters as I specified, you'll see assets that have updates available. Installed assets will show this in the status column. "Installed from DLS, Newer version available". Right-clicking and then choosing download will then install the updated assets, while at the same time obsoleting the previous version.

Sometimes, if assets have been initially installed from outside of the DLS environment, then there may be an update available on the DLS if the author has uploaded those assets. Right-clicking and choosing download will not work in this case and in order to install the updates, the process requires an extra step. Here you need to right-click and choose View Asset Versions as you do with DLC.

Out of date and obsolete are similarly related but are considered two separate entities. Out of date assets are those that are installed and are then considered obsolete when replaced with a new version. I think you said that a bit later in so many words.

Managing the data in Content Manager can be complex and believe it or not, the tools we have are very powerful albeit limited at the same time.

(I just had my cursor jump to the top of the post randomly as you have. It's confusing and annoying!)

My claim to fame was a very simple memory test I wrote in Z80 Assembly language. I used this to write a march-test and a flip-bit-test for the terminals I worked on while at Visual Technology. The majority of Visual's terminals, except for their final product, the 600-series machines, were z80 based with the 600-series being 68K based. I learned a ton about discrete TTL logic working on these and later worked on the more complex Ontel OP-series machines which were more like small desktop PCs running a proprietary OS. These "intelligent" terminals came with disk-drives, Phoenix and Hawk drives, cluster setups, etc., all configured to the customer's wish with or without the peripherals. Walgreens used the OP-25 series as part of their Intercom pharmacy network. Those were those big ugly brown terminals with the big keyboards. They all ran 8085 or 8086 processors and all had 100% discrete TTL logic except for one unit which used a single "glue" chip and that was a dumb terminal. There was also a line of Z80 PCs by both companies and Visual then produced an IBM PC compatible, their Commuter Computer.

The Amiga computers were indeed ahead of their times. It's too bad that management got greedy instead of focusing on future technology.

We can discuss this in a separate thread since we've moved beyond the scope of this one.

Last edited:
Hiya, JCitron! I see you`re still around here somewhere as I begin typing this. In order:

I`ve learned most of that lurking about the forums the last few days. Yes, I did indeed experience that with my large downloads. It literally took HOURS on my once-top-of-the-line DSL connection, which is often flakey as well. Imagine trying to download the whole kit and kaboodle in one go with even the latest-and-greatest top-of-the-line acoustic modem. Then imagine trying it with the original three-hundred bits per second standard for modems. I doubt you could ever download the whole thing before it was time to download the next release of Trainz! No way you could successfully download it in a single go without errors, either! Remember having to redownload something big seven or more times before you finally got a usable copy? Heck, even those 7+ retry files were tiny by today`s standards. We`ve come a long way, baby!

I`ve seen a few of those and done just exactly that with them. Problem is when the replacement is also marked Payware. As I mentioned earlier, that one just will not download, and I know this because it bit me once.

Yup. Old news to me now, but I was a newbie once too. Perhaps one or more of the people reading this later will still not have learned it yet, though.

I was not aware of this, nor have I needed to be, because I *never* go anywhere else for my downloadable content. At least not yet, though I can foresee the the possibility of downloading content that has been privately shared with me here.

I`ve been paying close attention to this lately, and not only did I NOT say that in so many words, I said something quite different. The only difference between obsolete assets and out-of-date assets is the nature of the replacements. Out-of-date refers to an item with the same basic ID and a different third number. Obsolete refers to an item where the replacement`s kuid has either a different author or a different content number, the first and second fields. As you know, before the advent of kuid2 identifiers, any time an author issued an update, he/she had to give it an entirely new number and list the old kuid in the obsolete-kuids field (not certain of the correct name of the table) of the new asset. The **location** of the replacement is irrelevant to this categorization. As suggested by the above, I`ve had to do some digging, and this is what I found. If I am wrong, please, do prove it.

Agreed and agreed.

(At this point I thought I had lost ALL of the above text from an accidental page-close, but my half-typed reply came back when I re-opened the page. Not appropriate THAT it happened, but entirely appropriate where it the message it occurred.)

Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Oh boy did you ever get THAT one right! At one point, the fastest Mac around was an Amiga running a Mac emulator. Our beloved Chicken Lips could have continued that lofty position. Instead, they pulled a typical Commodore and expected the product to support the company without the company supporting the product.

We can if you want, no problem, but I`ve got nothing more to add on that topic at this time. I do, however, have something that is on-topic to add:

You know all those 5500 or so KUIDs that I had manually exported to a text file? I`m currently pasting them into a filter consisting only of an empty "list these assets by kuid", pasting them into my downloading pick list, and running them through my Downloading filter before selecting all of the results and hitting Download on them. Slow and tedious, but I haven`t (yet) gimmicked up anything with trainztools to do it faster. Even if I did, the actual download wouldn`t go any faster, and that is a major consideration when trying to install ~5500 assets at once. At least it is smart enough to pick up on new dependencies and skip already-installed assets. Gotta go; I`m needed AFK for a while. Type to you later.

Should I post that I`m back if that`s all I have to say? I have to think that that is probably frowned on.

The individual-asset redownload is going nicely, if boringly slow.

Just a reminder: this thread is still open for people to post the sizes of their trainzbases and their favorite/most useful content filters.

Modems and DSL... Slower technology by today's standards, indeed! I worked for Infinet a modem and T1 switch manufacturer. Cool equipment but old today as well.

The old obsolete-table method for the kuid system accomplishes the same thing the kuid2 system does except manually using, as you said a new kuid. This system is prone to mistakes. All there needs to be is a typo in the kuid, and we have an asset replaced with something else. Back in the olden days, this occurred but not too often and I had a textile mill become a canal lock. I was both shocked and horrified to find these populating my route until the user corrected his error. All it took was a transposition of two digits to cause this. The other issue is this is prone to hacking. If someone has a tiff with someone one, all they have to do is grab an asset, modify the obsolete-table and BOOM! and here comes utter chaos. The kuid2 system is also more extensive given that we can have 126 versions of each asset rather than being limited to the number of single assets.

Your method of hunting for assets is interesting. I never thought of doing that myself. You could check the DLS using TrainzUtil.exe. There are parameters to do that. Back when I was importing content from TS12 to T:ANE when I first set up T:ANE, I created a PowerShell script to take the kuids and format the list because TS12 produced a list without commas and I had to change that and also remove other formatting from the list. I used various string editing commands to do that, and then at the end I had TrainzUtil.exe run and import the content, that was opened for edit in TS12 into T:ANE. I was able to import well over 180K assets at the time into T:ANE with no issue at all. The number of repairs though. was another issue altogether!

We all learn a lot by lurking. I sure did and now I can provide assistance with the stuff I learned over the past 20 years to newcomers and seasoned members alike.

Yes; even with my one-month First Class Ticket, my current download speed as I type this is about 140KB/sec according to the Content Manager Downloading dialog. How does that compare to N3V`s throttle choke (now wouldn`t THAT be an oxymoron for an automotive repair person?) for people without a FCT? (I usually have reported speeds ranging from below 100KB/set to over 200KB/sec, but I think something is a little off with the calculations, as I have (rarely) seen them in excess of 300KB/sec when the activity lights on the DSL modem indicate that the bytes are actually arriving a little SLOWER than usual. Aren`t computers weird sometimes? Ah well, it helps keep life interesting.

Exactly. That is exactly why the kuid2 system was invented. Thing is people keep talking like they think the older asset changes from "out of date" to "obsolete" because the update has been downloaded, and advise procedures based on that "fact". To the best of my knowledge, that is not possible, and the procedures contain the possibility of producing disasterous results. (Censored unhelpful spell checker; flags the word as misspelled, and suggests totally incorrect correctly-spelled replacements. Bleah.) Anyway, I have attempted to suggest that someone take advantage of those exact properties to replace a faulty payware locomotive on a payware route, by editing a LOCAL copy of a nonpayware locomotive that the poster liked better. You may possibly have seen it. I just have no idea if anyone understood what I was suggesting, nevermind how to do it. Having a canal lock unexpectedly appear where a textile mill is supposed to be sounds like the kind of fun that we don`t really mind having happened to us in the past but certainly never appreciate happening to us in the present. Think of it this way: as frustrated and furious as you were at the time, you have an entertaining story to share now. No, that isn`t hacking. Hacking is what we do when we dig about in the innards trying to find ways to make it better. That is malware, possibly, though not necessarily, malicious. I am proud to consider myself a hacker and have no truck with computer criminals (that better fit the term "cracker"). Sorry; you hit a nerve with that one.

To what do you refer when you mention my method of hunting for assets? I cannot comment intelligently unless I know what I`m commenting on. Yes, I know that there are parameters for that; I just haven`t had the opportunity to look into it closely enough to try something like that. I`ve done some powershell programming. Windows XP would honor the setting to automatically log in as a given user, bit it would clear that flag every time. On a single-user system in a household where nobody else is computer-smart enough to mess things up on me, this was unacceptable, so I wrote a powershell script to turn that setting ON, and set it to auto-run at every login. With me, the issue is trying to download and install ~5500 assets. Relearning enough powershell to do that once strikes me as overkill, and by the time I`m ready to try something like that, I won`t need it any more. Repairs? That sounds interesting enough to want to hear more about that aspect.

I guess I`m what you might call a seasoned newcomer, or some other oxymoronic-sounding combo. Like I`ve said several times in various forms since I started posting here: I can do the impossible fairly easily; it`s the easy stuff that I can`t handle. :oops:;):cool:🤷‍♂️🚀⁉️🆒👽 Yeah, I`m kinda weird. Pretty much everything in my life is atypical in one way or another. I know that you`ve seen me helping other people too. what is your opinion on the quality and relevance of my help so far? (Yeah, I`m insecure, too.)

Heh, that happens. I figured that any ignoring was unintentional; that`s why I asked the way I did instead of sounding accusational.

Back in the old days, I had that many filters on a release right in the middle of that range, and I don`t recall ever having that problem. Can`t say for certain that I never had it, either.

I agree. I`m also aware that the ORDER of the operations can have a huge effect on the speed: putting a simple operation that excludes a LOT of records first will greatly speed up the slower, more complex operations that refine the search, because they have a lot less data to process. whole books have been written about this, but you already know this, given your background, I only mention this for two reasons: first to let you know that I am aware of these issues too, and second to help teach other people reading this who might not be aware of this, let alone know why it can be important.

I see no need to have separate filters for packaged and nonpackaged assets; what I do when the asset is out of date (or obsolete) is all the same regardless: I download the replacement from the DLS. The problem is when the updated assets canNOT be downloaded for various reasons.

Out-of-date and obsolete assets are pretty much the same thing, except for one difference: the out-of-date asset is replaced by a newer version of the same asset with an incremented third field in the KUID, while the obsolete asset has been replaced by an asset with a totally different KUID. That`s why they invented the KUID2 format in the first place: to make marking assets as having been "obsoleted" by the same author something that could be automated more easily. NOT removing the old assets can be viewed as a form of backup, in case the new one doesn`t work out, and sometimes you cannot remove them (when the old one is built-in or packaged, for example, which you already know but some might not).

As for payware, that doesn`t work if the replacement is also marked payware; this one has bitten me once already. Then too, how do we know when the separately-downloaded payware packages that come with the purchase price of the game get updated? Updates for whole packages will not show up in Content Manager.

I`ve already enabled most of the columns, and regularly click-to-sort. I also knew that the columns could be resized, but I don`t think that I knew they could be reordered. Thank you for reminding me to try.

I also already know about when one learns that an update is available, but that too might help others reading this in the future.

I don`t much care WHEN an asset was uploaded; if I want it, I want it, and older assets *can* be better constructed than newer ones, especially if the newer ones are constructed by people with less authoring experience. If they are, but are not up to current scripting standards, I can fix that. I can`t fix the models themselves, though. Other people have those skills and tools, not me.

The filters I had with the Win7 version of Trainz22 had separate filters for All, Installed, and something else (Updateable? No, not-installed and not-incompatible.) , for each category separately, so I could go looking for things by category without having to bother with reconfiguring filters. I agree that asset names changing unexpectedly can be confusing at times.

Hmm, that`s about all I can see in your message that I than think of something to say about at this time. I`m going to be AFK for a while now; I`ll see if you`ve replied when I return.

Thank you for the excellent discussion with Filters and such, the Propeller on my Cap is whizzing from all this dialogue. I need to go back and re read all the latest info so I can understand your Filter Techniques.I have over the years, told newcomers that this Forum, has a Wealth of Knowledge to Share and learn from.

Speaking of Filters, one thing that sticks in my Craw,, not having any Filters to effect what DBR process looks for. Essentially less would definitely be more in all the things it checks for Database Repair Run.

I don't care about Obsolete and a lot of other things it checks.

If I could cut some of this fluff out, I think the DBR would finish a lot more quickly.

But DBR will probably remain the Same.

You are very welcome, blueodessy, and thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, I understand almost nothing after "Speaking of Filters", though what starts with "I don`t care" through the end is understandable enough. Would you please amplify on that one paragraph?

All of these Likes that I`ve been getting, both here and where I try to help out elsewhere, are really driving up my Reaction score and Points, which already sit at 31 and 18, respectively.

Yes; even with my one-month First Class Ticket, my current download speed as I type this is about 140KB/sec according to the Content Manager Downloading dialog. How does that compare to N3V`s throttle choke (now wouldn`t THAT be an oxymoron for an automotive repair person?) for people without a FCT? (I usually have reported speeds ranging from below 100KB/set to over 200KB/sec, but I think something is a little off with the calculations, as I have (rarely) seen them in excess of 300KB/sec when the activity lights on the DSL modem indicate that the bytes are actually arriving a little SLOWER than usual. Aren`t computers weird sometimes? Ah well, it helps keep life interesting.

Exactly. That is exactly why the kuid2 system was invented. Thing is people keep talking like they think the older asset changes from "out of date" to "obsolete" because the update has been downloaded, and advise procedures based on that "fact". To the best of my knowledge, that is not possible, and the procedures contain the possibility of producing disasterous results. (Censored unhelpful spell checker; flags the word as misspelled, and suggests totally incorrect correctly-spelled replacements. Bleah.) Anyway, I have attempted to suggest that someone take advantage of those exact properties to replace a faulty payware locomotive on a payware route, by editing a LOCAL copy of a nonpayware locomotive that the poster liked better. You may possibly have seen it. I just have no idea if anyone understood what I was suggesting, nevermind how to do it. Having a canal lock unexpectedly appear where a textile mill is supposed to be sounds like the kind of fun that we don`t really mind having happened to us in the past but certainly never appreciate happening to us in the present. Think of it this way: as frustrated and furious as you were at the time, you have an entertaining story to share now. No, that isn`t hacking. Hacking is what we do when we dig about in the innards trying to find ways to make it better. That is malware, possibly, though not necessarily, malicious. I am proud to consider myself a hacker and have no truck with computer criminals (that better fit the term "cracker"). Sorry; you hit a nerve with that one.

To what do you refer when you mention my method of hunting for assets? I cannot comment intelligently unless I know what I`m commenting on. Yes, I know that there are parameters for that; I just haven`t had the opportunity to look into it closely enough to try something like that. I`ve done some powershell programming. Windows XP would honor the setting to automatically log in as a given user, bit it would clear that flag every time. On a single-user system in a household where nobody else is computer-smart enough to mess things up on me, this was unacceptable, so I wrote a powershell script to turn that setting ON, and set it to auto-run at every login. With me, the issue is trying to download and install ~5500 assets. Relearning enough powershell to do that once strikes me as overkill, and by the time I`m ready to try something like that, I won`t need it any more. Repairs? That sounds interesting enough to want to hear more about that aspect.

I guess I`m what you might call a seasoned newcomer, or some other oxymoronic-sounding combo. Like I`ve said several times in various forms since I started posting here: I can do the impossible fairly easily; it`s the easy stuff that I can`t handle. :oops:;):cool:🤷‍♂️🚀⁉️🆒👽 Yeah, I`m kinda weird. Pretty much everything in my life is atypical in one way or another. I know that you`ve seen me helping other people too. what is your opinion on the quality and relevance of my help so far? (Yeah, I`m insecure, too.)
Your help has been pretty spot-on for the most part. We'll let you know if you're off base somewhere ;-)

If you download without an FCT, you'll see 4KB/sec and will hit a 100MB daily limit. This is where the FCT helps because with that you have whatever throughput your network can handle plus unlimited downloads. You have to remember there are a lot of factors that can limit your download speed in addition to what the servers can dish out. The servers can be busy plus there are networks that the data has to move across, busy times, etc. You do have the advantage of having your own copper for the last mile, but everything else before that is still subject to traffic.

The Data Subscriber Line (DSL) service is basically T-1s for home users, except T-1s have more complex stuff. You have faster service the closer you are to the TELCO home office, or central switch up to whatever limit they set. The further out you go, the slower the service goes because of the distance the data has to move. (I've always thought of this as a hose for the data to move through). Like a T-1, you have a dedicated switch connection, thus, your own copper as they call it, unlike broadband where everyone in an area shares the bandwidth over the cable.

PowerShell is a really powerful scripting language and what you want to download can be done easily using TrainzUtil. This can be run from a regular command prompt, but if you want to do anything, such as stripping extraneous characters from your list, or changing them from space to comma (,), then you need to do this using a script or batch. It beats keeping Content Manager open and lets this run in the background while you do something else - not using Trainz is a good idea because you may run into a database contention issue, or overall performance issue as the data is downloaded and decompressed from the CDP files and then converted to .tzarc files. Yes, all content is now .tzarc format, allowing us to save disk space.

Anyway, we can start a new thread on repairing content, or use a PM. There's a lot of things in there that are well beyond the scope of this thread.

Hi, JCitron. So far, it`s always been a pleasure to see you participating in a thread. It looks likely to stay that way, too.

In order, as usual:

Thank you; I figured you would, but insecurity likes positive reinforcement too.

That shouldn`t bother me *much*, because I`ll have slurped a lot by then, and there will be less of interest to download, having (theoretically) already downloaded most of what I want. The rest of the paragraph: I agree.

Huh, I thought it stood for Digital Services Line. Whatever; they both fit, and I am not at all sure that my name for it is correct. I already new most of that (other people likely do not, though), but the third quarter of the paragraph is news to me. While I well understand that the longer the hose, the slower the flow, and even understand why for physical liquids, I just don`t get WHY this would be true for a wire. Wires have other effects on signals, like attenuation, requiring additional amplification (which is simply useless in the case of power lines, where the absolute strength of the signal is all we care about, but helps in analog signals, where extra length makes the analog signals more difficult to hear). Digital signals, however have properties that make the signal strength irrelevant until it drops so low that you cannot hear it well enough to understand it. No effect on the speed of transmission. So why do DLS lines suffer from this strange malady?

Save for not knowing that last point, I totally agree. I just don`t find it relevant at this time. Right now, I`m just trying do shovel over as much interesting content as I can before my FCT expires. Speaking of which, I just had to interrupt *this* to switch over and start another batch.

Do either, as you wish; just remember to mention my name so that I get an alarm for it. I`ve been trying hard to keep "on topic" as much as I can, but that`s kinda difficult right now, as most of what I have to say is variants of "I just downloaded another batch". The last day or three, I`ve been going through the part of the sorted-by-author list that lists all of the Dave E. Snow content that I had downloaded before the upgrade. I think that I had more of his content than anyone else, possibly including Auran and N3V, and probably close to everyone else besides those three combined. He has pretty much always been one of my favorite creators. I`m even discussing a possible collaboration between myself and davesnow, wherein I would contribute some custom scripting for him to use in his new creations. If things work out well, it might (might!) even be retrofitted into some of his older content, bringing it up to current standards but breaking it on older installations in the process. If it works well enough, I`ll even allow anyone to include in their own creations the portion I would be creating for Dave to put in his. The interesting thing is that if any of the content needs upgrading, it would update all content that uses it, regardless of the author, with a single upload by me. Would you care to participate in the development of this system?

I think that`s about it for now; I just wish I could say something on-topic more than "I downloaded some more stuff." All of the issues I had are resolved, one way or another, and no-one is volunteering additional answers to the other two questions raised in the first post:

People, this thread is open indefinitely for anyone to post the size of their trainzbase (in any units you know how to measure it by), post your favorite/most useful/most interesting filters, or both. Those questions were intended to be open-ended to provide an ongoing topic for this thread. I agree with JCitron that the two of us have dragged this rather far off-topic, and I apologize for my part in this. The transition was certainly not intentional on my part, and I think JCitron feels the same; it just grew off-topic organically, as normal conversations typically do.

You are very welcome, blueodessy, and thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, I understand almost nothing after "Speaking of Filters", though what starts with

All of these Likes that I`ve been getting, both here and where I try to help out elsewhere, are really driving up my Reaction score and Points, which already sit at 31 and 18, respectively.
Thank you Sir,

Ok
"I don`t care" through the end is understandable enough. Would you please amplify on that one paragraph?

When I do a DBR: I don't need to see all these items like Polygon Warnings, Packages not installed, which has to do with Payware, Multiple items of same things, this is all Warnings and Errors, that I cannot fix that has to do with what my Trainz installation.

This errata is a bunch of Visual Noise, that is unnecessary output by the DBR engine,, and I wish their were Filters to control this, suppress.

All I want to see is Asset Errors, like Triangle Issues, Uniform Color issues yada yada, that I can fix.

Also the Polygon Limit is Old School, if you look at a portion of the Assets made by our kind n caring Asset Makers, they are over the limit on Polygon allowed limit of 500, however with that being said, the Asset look a whole lot better. And of course we know, most of us, that there are density limits to all Routes be it Trees, Highways or Trackage etc, that will bring trainz operation,

Frame Rates below acceptable levels. Has to a lot with CPU and GPU capacity to render in real time. Hope I am making some sense here.

! <kuid2:1854:53425:3> : VE85: The file '20ft-bridge-ballast-cap.lm' is provided in LM format, however the high-detail mesh is comprised of less than 300 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance.
! <kuid2:1854:53425:3> : VE85: The file '20ft-bridge-ballast-cap.lm' is provided in LM format, however the high-detail mesh is comprised of less than 300 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance.
; <kuid2:276266:100500:4> : <kuid2:276266:100500:4>
! <kuid2:276266:100500:4> : <kuid2:276266:100500:4> is present in multiple locations.
; <kuid2:276266:100500:4> : <kuid2:276266:100500:4> is at arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276d_0/content||kuid2 276266 100500 4.tzarc|kuid2 276266 100500 4 [new.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid2:276266:100500:4> : <kuid2:276266:100500:4> is at arc:fld:$(builtin)/46472d/content||kuid2 276266 100500 4.tzarc|kuid2 276266 100500 4 [db.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid2:276266:100500:4> : Ignoring asset <kuid2:276266:100500:4> from package: arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276d_0/content||kuid2 276266 100500 4.tzarc|
; <kuid:-25:1301> : <kuid:-25:1301>
! <kuid:-25:1301> : <kuid:-25:1301> is present in multiple locations.
; <kuid:-25:1301> : <kuid:-25:1301> is at arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276d_1/content||kuid -25 1301.tzarc|kuid -25 1301 [new.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid:-25:1301> : <kuid:-25:1301> is at arc:fld:$(builtin)/core/content||kuid -25 1301.tzarc| [db.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid:-25:1301> : Ignoring asset <kuid:-25:1301> from package: arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276d_1/content||kuid -25 1301.tzarc|
; <kuid2:401543:2031:1> : <kuid2:401543:2031:1>
! <kuid2:401543:2031:1> : <kuid2:401543:2031:1> is present in multiple locations.
; <kuid2:401543:2031:1> : <kuid2:401543:2031:1> is at arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276d_1/content||kuid2 401543 2031 1.tzarc|kuid2 401543 2031 1 [new.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid2:401543:2031:1> : <kuid2:401543:2031:1> is at arc:fld:$(builtin)/core/content||kuid2 401543 2031 1.tzarc| [db.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid2:401543:2031:1> : Ignoring asset <kuid2:401543:2031:1> from package: arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276d_1/content||kuid2 401543 2031 1.tzarc|
; <kuid2:401543:2032:2> : <kuid2:401543:2032:2>
! <kuid2:401543:2032:2> : <kuid2:401543:2032:2> is present in multiple locations.
; <kuid2:401543:2032:2> : <kuid2:401543:2032:2> is at arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276d_1/content||kuid2 401543 2032 2.tzarc|kuid2 401543 2032 2 [new.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid2:401543:2032:2> : <kuid2:401543:2032:2> is at arc:fld:$(builtin)/core/content||kuid2 401543 2032 2.tzarc| [db.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid2:401543:2032:2> : Ignoring asset <kuid2:401543:2032:2> from package: arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276d_1/content||kuid2 401543 2032 2.tzarc|
; <kuid:-25:1012> : <kuid:-25:1012>
! <kuid:-25:1012> : <kuid:-25:1012> is present in multiple locations.
; <kuid:-25:1012> : <kuid:-25:1012> is at arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276f_2/content||kuid -25 1012.tzarc| [new.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid:-25:1012> : <kuid:-25:1012> is at arc:fld:$(builtin)/core/content||kuid -25 1012.tzarc| [db.ORIGINAL]
; <kuid:-25:1012> : Ignoring asset <kuid:-25:1012> from package: arc:fld:$(packages)/sc276f_2/content||kuid -25 1012.tzarc|

and this drives me up the wall, I know what my obsolete variable is a quick look in CM shows me.

! <kuid:370528:1273> : Skipping validation as asset is locally obsolete.
; <kuid:370528:1182> : Validating <kuid:370528:1182>
! <kuid:370528:1182> : Skipping validation as asset is locally obsolete.
; <kuid:370528:1273> : Validating <kuid:370528:1273>
! <kuid:370528:1273> : Skipping validation as asset is locally obsolete.
; <kuid:370528:1182> : Validating <kuid:370528:1182>
! <kuid:370528:1182> : Skipping validation as asset is locally obsolete.
; <kuid2:370528:1145:1> : Validating <kuid2:370528:1145:1>
! <kuid2:370528:1145:1> : Skipping validation as asset is locally obsolete.
; <kuid:370528:1184> : Validating <kuid:370528:1184>

and this precached data for package installed EEEK

<NULL> : Failed to download precached data for package 'sc425' at version '97563' for platform 'standard-7'
- <NULL> : Failed to download precached data for package 'sc425d_0' at version '97563' for platform 'standard-7'
- <NULL> : Failed to download precached data for package 'sc425d_1' at version '97563' for platform 'standard-7'
- <NULL> : Failed to download precached data for package 'sc425d_2' at version '97563' for platform 'standard-7'
- <NULL> : Failed to download precached data for package 'sc425f_0' at version '97563' for platform 'standard-7'

and this minutia 500 polygons.

! <kuid2:45176:100254:1> : VE109: The low-detail meshes total more than 500 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance: 0: 1212
; <kuid2:45176:100255:1> : Validating <kuid2:45176:100255:1>
! <kuid2:45176:100255:1> : VE109: The low-detail meshes total more than 500 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance: 0: 1968
; <kuid2:45176:100267:1> : Validating <kuid2:45176:100267:1>
! <kuid2:45176:100267:1> : VE109: The low-detail meshes total more than 500 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance: 0: 3060
; <kuid2:45176:100257:1> : Validating <kuid2:45176:100257:1>
! <kuid2:45176:100257:1> : VE109: The low-detail meshes total more than 500 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance: 0: 2148
; <kuid2:45176:100253:1> : Validating <kuid2:45176:100253:1>
! <kuid2:45176:100253:1> : VE109: The low-detail meshes total more than 500 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance: 0: 2544
; <kuid2:45176:100256:1> : Validating <kuid2:45176:100256:1>
! <kuid2:45176:100256:1> : VE109: The low-detail meshes total more than 500 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance: 0: 1380
; <kuid2:45176:100270:1> : Validating <kuid2:45176:100270:1>
! <kuid2:45176:100270:1> : VE109: The low-detail meshes total more than 500 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance: 0: 3480
; <kuid2:45176:100268:1> : Validating <kuid2:45176:100268:1>
! <kuid2:45176:100268:1> : VE109: The low-detail meshes total more than 500 polygons. This may have a negative impact on performance: 0: 2616

If the summary at the top of the window, assuming that you are doing this from within Content manager, reports no errors, don`t even look at the output. Alternately, filter out the warnings by clicking on the yellow dot that you get when you do expand the window.

If you are using trainztool.exe from the command shell instead, you will have to filter the output through something like GREP. The filters we have been discussing here are applied long before you perform an action on the asset, or just never come into play at all. As such, they simply cannot do the filtering that you seem to want. These are diagnostic output, and not designed for general consumption. They are also generally unavailable anywhere else, and if someone needs them (and sometimes they do), then they bleep well need them. I get them often, myself, and they bother me less than the fact that something is wrong enough to trigger them in the first place.

My best recommendation? Just don`t sweat it; ignore `em, and I am deeply sorry if my comments are off the mark, nor do I intend any offence, but I think you know that already. Please, have a better day.

The output in the verbose log is similar to what we saw when we ran TS12 with the command prompts enabled as TrainzUtil.exe (not Trainztools.exe as there's no such thing but it sounds better.) goes about its business.

The precache-data information can be ignored and so can other warnings. Remember, those other warnings may eventually become errors as we shockingly found out the hard way with the scripts. The warnings are meant, at the moment, for the content creators to repair. The ones, though, for the 500 polygons or smaller are an age-old bug. N3V is aware of it and it really doesn't break anything, so it's on the lowest of the priority list.

Uniform colors can impact performance. There's a simple fix for this. You can do this through PEV's Images2TGA or by opening up the asset for editing, and then modifying the errant texture by adding a tiny dot of some other color. I use a pixel and it's enough to no longer make the color uniform. Once done, save, close the folder, and submit in Content Manager.

Networks have a limitation on their length, DSL included. Standard CAT-5 cables are about 100 meters or 328 feet. (Dusting off cobwebs here). In order to increase the length, the information needs to go through data amplifiers or boosters to increase the distance. The cause of this is both signal attenuations, meaning signals die off, wire resistance, and a host of other things I can't remember. If you recall, I worked for Infinet. Infinet, formerly Intertel, made modems, T-1 equipment, and other switching equipment. I was a hardware tech there for 4 years before moving up to MIS where I got to play with VAX 1170/80s and Sun systems.

If the summary at the top of the window, assuming that you are doing this from within Content manager, reports no errors, don`t even look at the output. Alternately, filter out the warnings by clicking on the yellow dot that you get when you do expand the window.

If you are using trainztool.exe from the command shell instead, you will have to filter the output through something like GREP. The filters we have been discussing here are applied long before you perform an action on the asset, or just never come into play at all. As such, they simply cannot do the filtering that you seem to want. These are diagnostic output, and not designed for general consumption. They are also generally unavailable anywhere else, and if someone needs them (and sometimes they do), then they bleep well need them. I get them often, myself, and they bother me less than the fact that something is wrong enough to trigger them in the first place.

My best recommendation? Just don`t sweat it; ignore `em, and I am deeply sorry if my comments are off the mark, nor do I intend any offense, but I think you know that already. Please, have a better day.
MasterTrackLayer,

No Offense taken, we are all here to learn and help on another, I absolutely enjoy your Honesty etc, and I figured I couldn't do much with the Output. I just needed to vent a bit.

I have many skill sets, but one of them is not programming, my best was playing with Basic. But by nature I am a Geek of many things, Jack of all, Master of none.

It has served me well, I try to be respectful to all, humble and just try to help where I can. As well, accept when I am wrong about something.

Thank you for your response.

I am not familiar with Trainztool.exe, is that located in Trainz Directory?

******Just read JCitrons response, I got it now.....Thanks******

I was up half the night with lower back pain, and some Sciatica, hope you never have it. Once had, it has a bad habit of returning. Such is life.

You have a great day as well.

The output in the verbose log is similar to what we saw when we ran TS12 with the command prompts enabled as TrainzUtil.exe (not Trainztools.exe as there's no such thing but it sounds better.) goes about its business.

The precache-data information can be ignored and so can other warnings. Remember, those other warnings may eventually become errors as we shockingly found out the hard way with the scripts. The warnings are meant, at the moment, for the content creators to repair. The ones, though, for the 500 polygons or smaller are an age-old bug. N3V is aware of it and it really doesn't break anything, so it's on the lowest of the priority list.

Uniform colors can impact performance. There's a simple fix for this. You can do this through PEV's Images2TGA or by opening up the asset for editing, and then modifying the errant texture by adding a tiny dot of some other color. I use a pixel and it's enough to no longer make the color uniform. Once done, save, close the folder, and submit in Content Manager.

Networks have a limitation on their length, DSL included. Standard CAT-5 cables are about 100 meters or 328 feet. (Dusting off cobwebs here). In order to increase the length, the information needs to go through data amplifiers or boosters to increase the distance. The cause of this is both signal attenuations, meaning signals die off, wire resistance, and a host of other things I can't remember. If you recall, I worked for Infinet. Infinet, formerly Intertel, made modems, T-1 equipment, and other switching equipment. I was a hardware tech there for 4 years before moving up to MIS where I got to play with VAX 1170/80s and Sun systems.
Hi John,

I was Local Admin for 20 years, Wow do you remind of some things, T-1 Lines etc cable capacity.

Does MasterTracklayer have a potential cable issue affecting his Download Speed?

Hi John,

I was Local Admin for 20 years, Wow do you remind of some things, T-1 Lines etc cable capacity.

Does MasterTracklayer have a potential cable issue affecting his Download Speed?
It's amazing how that stuff comes out of the cobwebs, isn't it! I haven't dealt with any of this stuff either in about that long.

He may, but it's difficult to tell. He may only have a 720KB/s line or 320K down, 720K up.

It's amazing how that stuff comes out of the cobwebs, isn't it! I haven't dealt with any of this stuff either in about that long.

He may, but it's difficult to tell. He may only have a 720KB/s line or 320K down, 720K up.
Yup copy that, when I first started Admin, was working in a office with other employees, small startup, and they used a 1/4 pipe of T-1 , the boss couldn't figure out why Network was so slow for our Remote OPs. How shall I say this, it came down to Budgeted Expenses....LOL

Just walking up to this mess, I had to get help and quick education on Network Sys....LOL.. And from there it was put my Pencil n Pen Protector in my pocket and goto Computer School.

I don't regret any of it, best and hardest Job I was ever hired to do. But the Wealth of Knowledge and Experience still serves me well today.

Yup copy that, when I first started Admin, was working in a office with other employees, small startup, and they used a 1/4 pipe of T-1 , the boss couldn't figure out why Network was so slow for our Remote OPs. How shall I say this, it came down to Budgeted Expenses....LOL

Just walking up to this mess, I had to get help and quick education on Network Sys....LOL.. And from there it was put my Pencil n Pen Protector in my pocket and goto Computer School.

I don't regret any of it, best and hardest Job I was ever hired to do. But the Wealth of Knowledge and Experience still serves me well today.
I had a similar thing. After the MIS gig, I ended up after some years at Polaroid then a spin-off. The spin-off was lucky and had dual full T1s already installed in the new building. This helped with the remote sales people and our phone and internet. When the company downsized, we ended up with a single T1 which did the work just fine. Like you, I fell into a pool and swam with the sharks. You do learn a lot that way really quick. :)

In no particular order, and I apologize if I miss something:

Trainztool was a typo; I misremembered the name. No offence taken. I definitely do have local networking issues beyond my control that affect my speed. Aside from not being familiar with the details, I am well aware about the length limits, et al, but I still do not understand how that can affect the data rate of a digital signal. I don`t see much else directed at me that I can answer while feeling as rushed as I do right now. Everything off-topic that you gentlemen posted was at least interesting, informative, or both.

Status update: I have finally finished redownloading the assets in my list that were created by davesnow, from which I think I omitted some non-ARN railcars when extracting from the old trainzbase the kuids of assets that I wanted to download into the new trainzbase. Even without those selected assets, when I filtered my asset list by his name, I find 9423 assets, of which 2161 are currently installed in my current trainzbase. davesnow, man have you ever been busy!

Status update: I have finally finished redownloading the assets in my list that were created by davesnow, from which I think I omitted some non-ARN railcars when extracting from the old trainzbase the kuids of assets that I wanted to download into the new trainzbase. Even without those selected assets, when I filtered my asset list by his name, I find 9423 assets, of which 2161 are currently installed in my current trainzbase. davesnow, man have you ever been busy!
Congrats on your accomplishment, it always feels great when a large Project finally completes!

Back