TRS 2022 hangs/crashes

I've been using TRS 2022 for well over a year, without any issues. My current Build 122418 and I'm using Windows 11 updated with the latest patches.

I've recently decided to try my hand at route building. I'm using Surveyor Classic. My route is not very graphic intensive yet as I've hardly put any scenery in.

When running a session, everything works fine for about 20 minutes, but then the system hangs. Unlike a true crash, even though my trains have stopped and the game clock no longer advances, the drivers heads still have motion and there is still smoke coming from the engines. So it's not a true freeze in the classic computer sense. From that point onward, the game may start and move again a few times, but for no more than 10 seconds. By the third hang there is no way to get out of it without a hard stop of the game (i.e. Task Manager). I rebuild the database whenever this happens.

I'm using the following Session Rules:
  • Driver Setup (only one diver with tasks)
  • Driver Command (with the "Drive To" Command activated)
  • Quick Drive Rule (defaults, i.e. 10:00 start)
  • Clean Up Derailed Trains (default)
  • IT Enhanced Manager Rule - TRS SP4 and Later (default settings)
  • Interlocking Tower Paths Selection UI
  • Quick Portal Manager with Timetable standard edition - TANE SP4 and later. There are several portals in the session.
My session only has a three trains being emitted form the portals. Initially I though that the system was being overloaded with trains, but nothing changed when I reduced the number.

I'm also using 5 Interlocking Towers in my route to control diamonds and major junctions. I have noticed that the game stutters for a brief instant whenever a train is emitted from a portal, so I'm wondering if there could be a glitch with the Quick Portal Manager rule.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this??? Thanks in advance

I am using 122418 with Windows 11 and do not have those issues. My thoughts are either your PC is perhaps a little under spec'd for your Route or, if that is not the case, you have other programs running in the background which is causing this. Perhaps Windows is trying to process an update? Regards. Colin.

Trainz stuttering when consists are emitted from portals has been an issue since T:ANE. I reported that and mentioned that in the forums and was told there's nothing wrong, so that's not the issue.

If the program is freezing like that, this could be a script error that's causing the problem, perhaps a corrupted asset, or even low disk and memory.

You can check the logs while you are running the session by running windowed, instead of full screen and using Show logs which is found under the Developer menu on the Launcher. Click on Clear logs first to clear old stuff and then Show logs before running the session. You'll see everything running by as signals are "talking", trains are doing things, industries are doing things, and so on. You can turn off the chatter by clicking on the colored dots. The ones you are interested in are the red circled X's. These indicate errors. Ignore precaching messages and look for script errors, or things that aren't loading properly.

Running windowed allows you to have both the logs up and run at the same time without needing to press ALT+ENTER or press the Windows-key to bring up the task bar.

What's supposed to occur at about 20 minutes into a session?

Is there anything special occurring?

If you use a regular hard disk, when did you defrag last?
How much free hard disk space do you have?

How much RAM (not hard disk space) do you have?
Triple the size of whatever that is for your page file.

There are probably other things but I can't think of them right now.

Trainz stuttering when consists are emitted from portals has been an issue since T:ANE. I reported that and mentioned that in the forums and was told there's nothing wrong, so that's not the issue.

If the program is freezing like that, this could be a script error that's causing the problem, perhaps a corrupted asset, or even low disk and memory.

You can check the logs while you are running the session by running windowed, instead of full screen and using Show logs which is found under the Developer menu on the Launcher. Click on Clear logs first to clear old stuff and then Show logs before running the session. You'll see everything running by as signals are "talking", trains are doing things, industries are doing things, and so on. You can turn off the chatter by clicking on the colored dots. The ones you are interested in are the red circled X's. These indicate errors. Ignore precaching messages and look for script errors, or things that aren't loading properly.

Running windowed allows you to have both the logs up and run at the same time without needing to press ALT+ENTER or press the Windows-key to bring up the task bar.

Hi and thanks for your reply and the advice. No, the issue is not my machine nor Windows. I won't bore you with the specs. Suffice to say that my PC is recent and was very close to top of the line when it came out. I play the built in routes and other DLC routes with max graphics and performance without any issues.

The problem is only on the route I built. I'm starting to suspect that there's a conflict of some sort within the Session Rules. I'm using both the "IT Enhanced Manager Rule - TRS SP4 and Later" and the "Quick Portal Manager with Timetable standard edition - TANE SP4 and later" with several portals in the session. It's almost as if something in one of those rules, or the rules combined with portals themselves, doesn't play nicely with TRS 2022. Oh well... Cheers.

Hi and thanks for your reply and the advice. No, the issue is not my machine nor Windows. I won't bore you with the specs. Suffice to say that my PC is recent and was very close to top of the line when it came out. I play the built in routes and other DLC routes with max graphics and performance without any issues.

The problem is only on the route I built. I'm starting to suspect that there's a conflict of some sort within the Session Rules. I'm using both the "IT Enhanced Manager Rule - TRS SP4 and Later" and the "Quick Portal Manager with Timetable standard edition - TANE SP4 and later" with several portals in the session. It's almost as if something in one of those rules, or the rules combined with portals themselves, doesn't play nicely with TRS 2022. Oh well... Cheers.

Oops... seems like I forgot to read the first part of your post. Thanks for letting me know how tp check the logs. I'll do that!!!

I am using 122418 with Windows 11 and do not have those issues. My thoughts are either your PC is perhaps a little under spec'd for your Route or, if that is not the case, you have other programs running in the background which is causing this. Perhaps Windows is trying to process an update? Regards. Colin.
Hi Colin, thanks for your reply. No, it's not my machine, nor a Windows update. It only happens with the route/session that I'm building. It's starting to sound like a scripting error. Maybe it does like the rule combination that I have.

Like I said, this could very well be something wrong with the scripts. The sign of that is a frozen clock but when I've seen it everything is running but the clock doesn't update. That doesn't say that this isn't the same thing and is only manifesting itself in a different form. I haven't used ITs or QPM in a long time but I do remember both to be a pain to setup. You may want to clone your session first and use the clone to test and troubleshoot with so that if things don't go well, you can go back to your original.

Like I said, this could very well be something wrong with the scripts. The sign of that is a frozen clock but when I've seen it everything is running but the clock doesn't update. That doesn't say that this isn't the same thing and is only manifesting itself in a different form. I haven't used ITs or QPM in a long time but I do remember both to be a pain to setup. You may want to clone your session first and use the clone to test and troubleshoot with so that if things don't go well, you can go back to your original.
Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll try the cloning option and see how it works out. If I discover anything interesting in the form of script errors, I'll post a reply. Cheers,

So tried it with cleared logs. Admittedly, there are all sorts of errors, the most common being VE242: Unable to locate animation file 'anim.kin" (file not found or is damaged). But at the moment the session froze up, the following error was noted: DriverScript::ExecDriveTo> track name not specified for industry. Not quite sure that that was referring to. As I mentioned earlier, I'm new at Route/Session building. Is there anywhere that I can search/learn how to fix these? Thanks again.

DriverScript::ExecDriveTo> track name not specified for industry.
This is a hint.

Try replacing any Drive To commands with Navigate To commands in your session and see if that works.

I remember reading somewhere that the Drive To command is buggy now and to use the Navigate To command instead.

Thanks, but i had already found that hint and have been using the Drive To command since the start. I'll try removing the Navigate To command to see if it changes anything.

Thanks, but i had already found that hint and have been using the Drive To command since the start. I'll try removing the Navigate To command to see if it changes anything.

This is a hint.

Try replacing any Drive To commands with Navigate To commands in your session and see if that works.

I remember reading somewhere that the Drive To command is buggy now and to use the Navigate To command instead.
SOLVED ! This appears to be a newbie error on my part: one of my trains was a 5000 ft CP Oil train. The issue was that one of my portals was less than 5000 ft away from the nearest interlocking tower junction. It was more like 3000 ft away. As soon as the loco entered the portal, it would confuse the Interlocking Tower Script. Worse yet, as I later discovered on the log chatter (the grey dots that I had previously hidden), every time a car would disappear into the portal, a new consist number was created for the remaining cars (e.g. 562, 563, 564...). This appears to have overwhelmed the Interlocking Tower Script and everything would freeze up. I moved out the Portals to a distance greater than my max train length and everything ran smoothly on the following try. The session ran for more than an our with multiple trains and no issues! It's interesting that the issue did not cause a red X error in the logs. At least now I know and I can carry out with route building. Thanks so much for the tips on how to use the logs. Cheers.

This is awesome news and something for "the books" and an interesting discovery. I wouldn't call this a newbie error either because what you found is really nothing anyone would think of.

I wonder if there's a but with the interlocking towers that needs to be addressed? Pierre might want to know about that and make some adjustments because unlike Europe, we run very long freights here and many people use interlocking towers along with them.

Thank you for the update and you're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

EIT's don't like a consist to to change any driver command while it is on a path. I found that TM;s placed in a path will often stop a consist if it uses that TM and also a command that changes its instruction while still on the path. It is not consistent and depends on other things happening at the same time. Trainz is failing to load all the rules and commands on a random basis.

I don't know if it's related, but my game keeps freezing while editing in Surveyor Classic and 2.0, making completing my HDT versions of the Indiana Western impossible because I can barely do anything.

It only happens when I'm editing the route(Placing scenery and splines or editing the terrain); it hasn't happened in Driver or when placing down consists and trains.

I don't know if it's related, but my game keeps freezing while editing in Surveyor Classic and 2.0, making completing my HDT versions of the Indiana Western impossible because I can barely do anything.

It only happens when I'm editing the route(Placing scenery and splines or editing the terrain); it hasn't happened in Driver or when placing down consists and trains.

Do yourself a favor and run a DBR. Once you've had a crash, the database will continuously have problems. When I've crashed, I always run a DBR and revert to the last save rather than continuing.

Many thanks John for your advice regarding monitoring the logs.
Another early start this morning, i swapped out the 'Drive to's for 'Navigate to' to hopefully cure the CTD, alas not so.
Next I cleared the logs (first time ever I have been there) then monitored the resulting stream, just before the CTD it gave a fault with <kuid:101046:103178> autoflood coal hopper.
I swapped them out and the CTD was cured. What surprised me was the constant stream of faults with assets which the game seems to ignore.

I'm glad you found the culprit.

I clear the logs when I'm troubleshooting to ensure I have a clear picture at the time. It does help as you found out to find a culprit causing a problem. With this asset, you were lucky in that you found it right away. I've had instances were an ecases,occurred only if I looked a particular way while driving in a particular area. I've told about this a couple of times and the issue turned out to be a bad Speed Tree that I found when I converted the route from TS12 Speed Trees to something else to import the route into T: ANE.

The reason for the errors is that there are issues with assets, but these errors are such that they don't prevent the asset from working but are there. In some cases it's due to a sound not playing or something else that doesn't matter such as an obsolete function. The only time an error makes it to the faulty asset stage where they show up in Content Manager is when the asset is really bad such as missing textures, or a faulty script prevents the asset from operating totally. As time goes on, these things will probably create a faulty asset to need repairing but for now they're just there.

Then there are situations such as the one you encountered where the asset passed the guards okay but still caused a problem and a bad one. These are rare but it does happen. Sometimes, there are glitches when downloading or uploading assets. It's not N3V's fault and has to do with power, or network things going on. If it happens more often, you should be concerned because that could be a disk or memory problem on your computer. With this being a one-off asset as it appears for now, you can try downloading it again and see what happens, but why rock the boat if things are working, right!

It keeps the brain cells active, this afternoons conundrum is why a consist sits acting dumb at a signal which gives it permssion to go.
After reading up it seems the AI looks four blocks ahead, this I cured by adding a 'junction to nowhere'.
And tomorrow's problem will be.... :)

Indeed, this is what's great about Trainz. I need that jumpstart too more often than not.

Sometimes an in between signal helps too even an invisible one works.

Back