Small Layout Plans.

You too, eh.

Stumbled upon a specific circumstance to achieve that -

Was building a 600mm route and the specific tunnel I wanted to use was standard gauge only.
So ...
Put it in place then pulled a 600mm track spline clear through it, ignoring the tunnel end track attachment points.
Since the train does not ride on the tunnel track the view change does not get triggered.
I just did this and found my new best friend! I connected a piece of invisible track of each end of the tunnel, then laid the unconnected tunnel track directly on it. Perfect! The train appears to be on the tunnel track while I stay above ground...Thanks for the tip!

It's been a while since I was last here, but that doesn't mean that I've lost interest in the TMR format for making digital model railways.
This is Gilbert Thomas's Paddington to Seagood layout published in 1947. It was built up in a room in his house that measured 18 feet by 25 ft and it was intended for spring powered locomotives, - that's clockwork in case you were wondering. With having been a coarse scale 'O' gauge modeller before taking up with Trainz I've never really lost interest in this kind of layout.

Paddington is the large terminus station in the middle of the drawing, - and Seagood is the smaller terminus station at the top.

2DliJGn.jpg

Your bringing back a lot of memories! I had a small figure 8 plus side connections Lionel RR in my basement maybe 5'x15'. I would run it with the basement lights off. To see the RR run in the dark was a sight to see. I even got to the point of having a small control board. I also had a few of Lionel's electrical connected pieces. Trainz comes close to the real/model RR. With Trainz I can ride in the Loc Cab which I couldn't do with the model RR.

A few more Books from the publishes of Model Railroader that may be of interest to the community all free downloads direct from the publisher, not Pirate copies:

Whether you’re just starting out in the hobby and building your first layout or an advanced model railroader looking for a small plan, Starter Track Plans for Model Railroaders has something for you. Here you’ll find 27 detailed track plans for layouts from N through O scales. The plans, all of which have appeared in Model Railroader Magazine, range from small table railroads to around-the-walls shelf layouts designed to fit in a small room.
In addition, an introductory section outlines basic hobby fundamentals, including benchwork, track, wiring, and scenery.
This book provides:
• Detailed track plans for tables and small rooms
• Suggestions on appropriate scenery
• Operating tips and techniques
• Background information on appropriate era and prototype

Realistic modeling, or hi-railing, takes a toy train layout to a new level. And with this practical guide, it is easy to get started. You can try one or two projects or jump in with both feet and create an entire layout. Classic Toy Trains contributor Dennis Brennan takes you step-by-step through the construction of his hi-rail layout, the Sandy Harbor Terminal Ry., using clear, informal instructions and highly detailed photos. More than a how-to guide, the book explains the concepts behind hi-rail, and Dennis also provides his insights into the modeling process.
With Realistic Modeling for Toy Trains, you’ll be able to
· Plan an interesting and fun hi-rail model railroad
· Incorporate toy train accessories into realistic settings
· Model with common materials such as yardsticks and masking tape
· Build a variety of kits and kitbash original structures
· Use HO buildings to create a cityscape
· Ballast track and weather rails
· Create a harbor with a rocky shoreline
· Add bridges, streets, and scenery

In this book, you’ll learn techniques for:
• Selecting scenery techniques that are both realistic and quick to complete
• Making off-the-shelf models unique to your layout
• Narrowing your focus to increase efficiency
• Farming out work to focus on your major modeling and operational interests
• Getting trains running as soon as possible

Thanks for the first one -- the Starter Track Plans. They look interesting and not over difficult to construct. I might even have a go at one or two of them.

Phil

My number one go-to site for new trackplans is jomrd.com.

This is a trackplan blogsite as well as a large repository of small to large plans, all drawn up by the esteemed Rob Chant.

My Sissiboo MRR and the extended version I'm still working on both come from Rob's site.

The Journal of Model Railroad Design: Planning, Building and Operating

The Sissiboo MRR I built, is featured on his blog page with a nice little write-up, here Sunday, February 13, 2022 COMMENTARY: Sissiboo Lumber Company recreated in Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019

Rico

My number one go-to site for new trackplans is jomrd.com.

This is a trackplan blogsite as well as a large repository of small to large plans, all drawn up by the esteemed Rob Chant.

My Sissiboo MRR and the extended version I'm still working on both come from Rob's site.

The Journal of Model Railroad Design: Planning, Building and Operating

The Sissiboo MRR I built, is featured on his blog page with a nice little write-up, here Sunday, February 13, 2022 COMMENTARY: Sissiboo Lumber Company recreated in Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019

Rico
I agree I have also built several of Rob's designs in the past. But, unfortunately, Rob has decided to move all his future work to a members only Facebook Group, I do understand his reasons but, as I have managed to avoid the Dark Side of social media and maintain my personal privacy for 25 years of internet access, I have no intention of selling my soul to Facebook by creating an account, for a few track plans.
I have nothing against Rob and consider him one of my main influencers along with the top designers. I use many of Rob's concepts in my own designs and It is just a pity I will no longer be part of the group but I do not trust Facebook any more than I do a Russian Hacker site.

Last edited:
I agree I have also built several of Rob's designs in the past. But, unfortunately, Rob has decided to move all his future work to a members only Facebook Group, I do understand his reasons but, as I have managed to avoid the Dark Side of social media and maintain my personal privacy for 25 years of internet access, I have no intention of selling my soul to Facebook by creating an account, for a few track plans.
I have nothing against Rob and consider him one of my main influencers along with the top designers. I use many of Rob's concepts in my own designs and It is just a pity I will no longer be part of the group but I do not trust Facebook any more than I do a Russian Hacker site.
@caroper -

I was pretty sure you had the deets wrong for Rob's website plans, but I didn't want to respond until I heard an update on the new blogsite.

The FB group is still a great place for conversations/help/discussion on existing, and WIP trackplans.

This is Rob's latest statement re: the new blogsite:

"BLOG UPDATE: Progress on my new blog is going well. The development team took a while to understand my scripts and came up for a sleek and modern design for the new site that has been approved. Getting everything to work the way I want is the next step. Still not sure how much impact there will be on my old blog during the transition, but I'm very excited to see things rolling."

Followed by:

"I can't wait to be able to update it again. It hasn't been updated in over a year (or more) and I have been itching to add my new work. I can't wait until I can remove the need to sign in too. It had been a PITA dealing with that for so long."

Rico

@caroper -

"I can't wait to be able to update it again. It hasn't been updated in over a year (or more) and I have been itching to add my new work. I can't wait until I can remove the need to sign in too. It had been a PITA dealing with that for so long."

Rico
Thanks Rico,

I will definitely keep checking in at http://www.jomrd.com/
I see that he has already posted three track plans there this month.

cheers
Chris

Back