Small Layout Plans.

21inch in HO Scale radius curve ... Radius is approximately 152 feet, 46 metres, in real scale.

❓ QUESTION: Have been searching tunnels - y'all got any thoughts on a good single track, standard gauge, US clearances, tunnel which has walls that can deal with those kinds of 'train set' curves?

Am finally getting around to laying track on 101 More Track Plans plan 86, the traction line Kansas City Kaw Valley & Western. 🚋
A 15ft by 20ft 'L' shelf.
It has a couple 18inch radius curves in tunnels.

I'm going to shorten the hidden hairpin curve bit by omitting about 8 feet of straight tracks - I do not care to have long hidden track sections.

Just one of the things I found it useful for is to replace the grid texture with another desired texture. This covers all those nooks and grannies that may be missed while texturing
That's something I haven't done yet. In the olden days, we'd select a baseboard and fill it with a texture such as grass but that had its own issues. In TRS2004 through TS12, we'd end up with spiny ridges and holes with occasional black patches right where the baseboard edges were.

❓ QUESTION: Have been searching tunnels - y'all got any thoughts on a good single track, standard gauge, US clearances, tunnel which has walls that can deal with those kinds of 'train set' curves?

Am finally getting around to laying track on 101 More Track Plans plan 86, the traction line Kansas City Kaw Valley & Western. 🚋
A 15ft by 20ft 'L' shelf.
It has a couple 18inch radius curves in tunnels.

I'm going to shorten the hidden hairpin curve bit by omitting about 8 feet of straight tracks - I do not care to have long hidden track sections.
The LP Tunnel works pretty well. I think it's built in now.

The alternative is to build your own using dig holes, tunnel entrances and tunnel splines. You basically poke a hole in the terrain, put the tunnel spline inside then lay your track inside the tunnel spline. You then may need to place retaining walls and things to cover up any holes that are still exposed.

LP Tunnel works pretty well
Thanks! Will look that up and give it a try here on a c-c-cold and rainy afternoon.

"Unknown Precip 34°F 1°C"
my body ain't ready for this
quite thankful to have a roof over my head, power in the wires, and Trainz in this PC

You're welcome. It's a really decent tunnel that doesn't have one of those honker-entrances that are really clumsy looking.

We've got the same here except that miserable cold damp rain with temps a bit higher.

tunnel that doesn't have one of those honker-entrances

That was an issue, because of layout arrangement limitations there was only a 12 meter depth to place it in to go under a section of a town.
And it took a 3.5 percent grade to get even that amount of depth clearance.

Just finished laying track on that 1 baseboard adaptation of the 24ft x 16ft HO scale Arcade & Attica in September 1978 Model Railroader.
Oh I would like to have enough income to commission someone to make that GE 65 tonner No. 112, with engineer waving; other GE-something locomotive No. 113; those 3 buildings; that lady and child watching the two GE centercabs.

@on30gn15 - I have a bunch of U.S. styled stone tunnel portals on the DLS that are specifically for model railroads.

The one's in blue.

image.png

a bunch of U.S. styled stone tunnel portals on the DLS that are specifically for model railroads
Ahh ... will look those up here in a bit over midnight late supper.
Thanks!
Hey, those DSPP buildings and water tank look good, will download those too.

Last edited:
A thread about RDC rail diesel cars brings to mind a layout which would fit in one base board - Kalmbach Books, Model Railroader, "Classic Railroads You Can Model", pub 2002, page 33, "B&M's Gloster Branch".
Layout is an around the walls shelf, with staging loop, to fit an 11ft by 19ft space.
Oh, wait, it isn't spelled like the Gloster Meteor airplane, Gloucester Branch.
It was the home turf of multiple RDC cars.

I know I'm not alone, but I REALLY hate tunnels in Trainz, and will offen "rework" a route to eliminate them. Sometimes I'll leave the cut and rationalize it by saying it was daylighted...LOL. But, I resently discovered "Portal Tunnel Shadow" which I really like. It's better then running into a tunnel without a dighole.
On the same topic...Is there a way to stay in "Chase" mode without getting sucked into the tunnel with the locomotive. Switching to "roam" and back is annoying.

Sometimes I'll leave the cut and rationalize it by saying it was daylighted
You too, eh.

On the same topic...Is there a way to stay in "Chase" mode without getting sucked into the tunnel with the locomotive.
Stumbled upon a specific circumstance to achieve that -

Was building a 600mm route and the specific tunnel I wanted to use was standard gauge only.
So ...
Put it in place then pulled a 600mm track spline clear through it, ignoring the tunnel end track attachment points.
Since the train does not ride on the tunnel track the view change does not get triggered.

I know I'm not alone, but I REALLY hate tunnels in Trainz, and will offen "rework" a route to eliminate them. Sometimes I'll leave the cut and rationalize it by saying it was daylighted...LOL. But, I resently discovered "Portal Tunnel Shadow" which I really like. It's better then running into a tunnel without a dighole.
On the same topic...Is there a way to stay in "Chase" mode without getting sucked into the tunnel with the locomotive. Switching to "roam" and back is annoying.

Try my RC Tunnel Shadow Entrance. It's a true vertical flat plane, easy to see in surveyor, and fits better than the one you're currently using. Try both, see what looks best :)
Regarding the tunnels themselves, you can use whatever spline looks best to you, and where the dighole would be, use rock, bush and tree scenery mixed with cliff splines to get better looking tunnel entrance area.
You can use stone wall splines to make angled retaining walls tangent to your tunnel portals.

Here some of my builds. Ideas for your layouts :)

image.png
image.png
image.png

image.png

Rico

You too, eh.

Stumbled upon a specific circumstance to achieve that -

Was building a 600mm route and the specific tunnel I wanted to use was standard gauge only.
So ...
Put it in place then pulled a 600mm track spline clear through it, ignoring the tunnel end track attachment points.
Since the train does not ride on the tunnel track the view change does not get triggered.
Good idea! I'll play with that for sure! I guess you could do the same thing with invisible track?

1 baseboard adaptation of the 24ft x 16ft HO scale Arcade & Attica in September 1978 Model Railroader.
Stretched the plan left-right to fill the 26ft x 26ft baseboard.

➡️ With the flange-squealing 'train set' curves 😲

Finally got around to looking at Google Maps - and that one 'train set' curve at lower right on layout is very much indeed one of those out here in the reality world,

➡️ also of note, they use a traffic light where track in Railpictures dot net image crosses Main Street,

& here is that image again for reference,

Right behind photographer's location is a thing of interest - a centercab locomotive, a boxcar, a caboose, displayed on a just long enough piece of track,

Hmm, interesting. Passenger cars behind office and depot.
Satellite view shows 3 there and 3 down by that train set curve - so, are there 6 passenger cars total or is that the same 3 cars moved between image captures?
:unsure:

Last edited:
Odd that in street view of your first link, they blurred out most of the letters in "Gettysburg" and parts of the logo on the old tender.

That blurring is probably decided by algorithm and indeed it does odd things.
Today on Main street it blurred one item of a repeating architectural trim pattern at top of a storefront.
AI is not yet ready for prime time.

Back