Siemans/Cummins seek to topple duopoly of EMD/GE

Can't GE make more of them...?
Designs grow old and are eventually replaced by something better in terms of power, fuel efficiency, and/or pollution output. Just look what happened with the F40PH's. They were successful machines that were replaced after a couple decades of service. The same will happen to the P42's soon enough.

But, also just like the F40PH's, a bunch will probably be sold off to commuter agencies.

Makes sense that California wants something "high performance." The schedules here one the Surf Line are quite demanding, what with the long stretches of single-track between LA and San Diego.
Hopefully we can soon see how Siemens' compares to the F125.

Now I'd like to see GE introduce something to compete with EMD and Siemens.

Is it me or do the American passenger diesels seem to have rather short lives, I mean the GE Genesis diesels were built in the 90s and there is already talk of replacing them, in most other countries diesels tend to have a 30 year life span to them. I was wondering if it could due to the amount of mileage they perhaps rack up.

Last edited:
I really like the look of these locos and hope we can see the finished product in service soon! 9Well, even if I'll only get to see though YouTube videos)

Kieran.

Is it me or do the American passenger diesels seem to have rather short lives, I mean the GE Genesis diesels were built in the 90s and there is already talk of replacing them, in most other countries diesels tend to have a 30 year life span to them. I was wondering if it could due to the amount of mileage they perhaps rack up.

The lifespan was never this short. The old E's and F's lasted forever. The same with the old Alco diesels with some units being over 55 years old and still operating. These new GE units appear to be made like all the appliances we get today. Refrigerators, stoves, even old microwave ovens, lasted for 30-plus years. Today you're lucky to get a year out of a microwave oven.

I do know that the old F40s we had up here dated back to the late 1970s and early 1980s. The weather and long miles did beat these critters up. We get lots of sloppy icy snow that builds up around the wheels and under carriage and that did a number on the body panels as well. Some of the units still operating have flopping body panels that are all rusted out near the wheels like old Dodge Dart Swingers.

Perhaps the transit agencies found the Genesis units didn't quite have the power and reliability that they expected to have over the years. Now that something new has come along, the engines are being replaced.

John

The P40DC was introduced in 1993, it is currently 2013. There was an interim program to uprate the engine to 4200hp, producing the P42Dc with a P32AC-DM variant for NYC service.

For the sake of accountants and the IRS, most equipment is classified as having I think either 10 or 15 year MACRS schedule, which means that it is fully depreciated after 7 or 12 years, respectively. Anything after is considered good. As for unusually short lives, the 6000hp SD90MAC-H and AC6000CW lasted really only about 6 years with the full-rated engine. For mileage, consider running 2000 miles once every 3 days, then spinning around to do it again in another 3 hours or so without fail, at least on long-distance ops.

The first passenger diesels in the US lasted about 15 years, when the later model E and F units took over everything. They had to last until the F40PH came out, with the exception of the boiler-added freight engines (see FP45, SDP35). We then ran the wheels off the F40s until the P42 came along, so it appears that although there may be some overlap, the major epochs in American passenger locomotives are about 20 years long.

Don't forget, we can retain many common parts between models, so the Blomberg trucks on today's cabbages could very well be salvaged from one of the first covered wagons. Not sure if we will be able to say the same about GE's fabricated German-designed trucks on the Genesis.

The P40DC was introduced in 1993, it is currently 2013. There was an interim program to uprate the engine to 4200hp, producing the P42Dc with a P32AC-DM variant for NYC service.

For the sake of accountants and the IRS, most equipment is classified as having I think either 10 or 15 year MACRS schedule, which means that it is fully depreciated after 7 or 12 years, respectively. Anything after is considered good. As for unusually short lives, the 6000hp SD90MAC-H and AC6000CW lasted really only about 6 years with the full-rated engine. For mileage, consider running 2000 miles once every 3 days, then spinning around to do it again in another 3 hours or so without fail, at least on long-distance ops.

The first passenger diesels in the US lasted about 15 years, when the later model E and F units took over everything. They had to last until the F40PH came out, with the exception of the boiler-added freight engines (see FP45, SDP35). We then ran the wheels off the F40s until the P42 came along, so it appears that although there may be some overlap, the major epochs in American passenger locomotives are about 20 years long.

Don't forget, we can retain many common parts between models, so the Blomberg trucks on today's cabbages could very well be salvaged from one of the first covered wagons. Not sure if we will be able to say the same about GE's fabricated German-designed trucks on the Genesis.

Ah fair enough that explains it, just seems a rather short life, I mean Britain has a lot of stock built in 1992 and we only count it as halfway through it's life. The HST's were built between 1976 and 1981 and on average they rack up between 2000 - 3000 miles every three days, there are are plans to replace them but even so most HST's still have another 10 years of service. But I suppose the operating conditions in the US are far more arduous, with extreme weather and temperature changes and some very heavy loads which will take a toll.

But I'm sure most of the P42's will end up on commuter railroads rather than in the scrapyard, from the looks of things they use some very old stock that could do with replacing.

Last edited:
Ah fair enough that explains it, just seems a rather short life, I mean Britain has a lot of stock built in 1992 and we only count it as halfway through it's life. The HST's were built between 1976 and 1981 and on average they rack up between 2000 - 3000 miles every three days, there are are plans to replace them but even so most HST's still have another 10 years of service. But I suppose the operating conditions in the US are far more arduous, with extreme weather and temperature changes and some very heavy loads which will take a toll.

But I'm sure most of the P42's will end up on commuter railroads rather than in the scrapyard, from the looks of things they use some very old stock that could do with replacing.

Up here in New England, we have the high humidity in the summer and damp cold in the winter. This definitely takes its toll on vehicles. Have you ever heard of the term "rust bucket?" This is where it comes from, I think. Recently our state-owned transit agency, the famous MBTA, has started replacing the F40PHs as I mentioned. Just prior to this they replaced Boston's LRVs (trams where you come from). The LRVs were totally rotted out underneath from the ice melt chemicals put down on the roads where they run. This stuff ate through the body panels and the traction motors to a point it was time to replace the train cars. We have to keep in mind too that many of these LRVs were going on 30 years old by the time they got to this point. These were the original Boeing and other early LRVs that were brought in to replace the ancient PCC trolleys. We're finally seeing some replacement diesels for the commuter trains. A handful came in from MARC (Maryland's public transit agency), and are used on the South Shore lines. There are also some newer diesels on order and I think they will be in service next year some time.

John

FWIW, in Northern MI (read Keweenaw Peninsula), its too cold to even think about salt. Instead, they lay down old stamp-sand from the copper mining and processing facilities. It don't melt, but at least you have traction. In the spring (summer?) they scoop it all back up for next year.

FWIW, in Northern MI (read Keweenaw Peninsula), its too cold to even think about salt. Instead, they lay down old stamp-sand from the copper mining and processing facilities. It don't melt, but at least you have traction. In the spring (summer?) they scoop it all back up for next year.

We use plenty of sand where I am too in areas where they can't put the salt and chemicals down. The MassDOT crews do the same here. Like you have up in northern MI, we too have plenty of glacier sand. Where I live there are the famous rounded sandy hills called drumlins. Many of the towns around have sand and gravel companies that haul out the fine white sand which is great for cement making and other industries. We don't have much in the way of other minerals though, just a lot of sand.

John

Back