Tips and tricks. What to do, and what not to do when uploading content to the DLS.

magickmaker

I'm posting this here because it seems new members check this more than any other sub forum. Consider this a must read. It's not just about uploading content though, the post deals with everything from freeware to payware, to even donation ware. A recent difficulty of mine prompted this, but I won't get into it on a public thread. I'll answer PM's on the subject, but suffice it to say that the difficulty doesn't pertain to the thread itself. I'd been meaning to post one before things happened.

So let's begin.

So, you've built something and are looking to upload it to the DLS. Everything is finished and good to go right? Maybe, maybe not. Before you do that upload, take a moment to read through this post and then ask yourself, "Is it really ready?"

When uploading content to the DLS, there are some key points you should consider before uploading. These points will help you produce quality content, and ensure that it is downloaded more than just once or twice. What's more, they may keep you out of trouble!

1.) Did you include a thumbnail picture?
This one isn't too hard, and there are a number of tutorials how to do this. The key point here is statistically speaking, players are more likely to download something that they can see a teaser photo of first, as opposed to content that has no photo.

2.) If you have a thumbnail, does it show the content you intend to upload?
Once again, time and time again you'll see users upload content that has a photo, but that photo only has the user's name, or some other object in it. Something OTHER than the content being offered for download. Unless you are a well known builder (there are a few) chances are that your content will simply be passed over. Keep in mind, players use the photos to tell them if the item you are offering will fit in with their route. If they can't tell by looking, then they're more likely to pass over the content and download something else, as opposed to taking a shot in the dark with yours.

3.) Do you have permission for everything contained in the content?
Sometimes called the "reskin" rule, what this means is pretty simple. If you modified content produced by another person, you need their permission (either written or verbal) before uploading the content as yours. However, sometimes you can't reach the user that created the original content. Either they're no longer on the forums, or the content seems abandoned for other reasons. Does that mean you should just upload it anyway? The answer here is no. You should make every possible attempt to contact the user. Use the PM button here on the forum, email if needed, or as a last resort, post a note in the forums asking for their permission. Give the person time to respond (a good minimum is two weeks) and then if you don't hear from them, you can't upload it. HOWEVER, you should always remember that if the user returns at a later date and discovers their content, then they may claim you uploaded it without their permission.

4.) Do you have credit in the content description for the original creators?
Especially in the case of content you can't get permission to upload due to a missing user, you should always detail what user created the original content you based your work off of. Offering credit means by name, and not a simple "Thanks to all who made this possible." If you credit the users in the description, users are less likely to complain that you stole or uploaded their work without their permission. This is really just a simple case of CYA. Cover Your Ass. (sorry for language, but it needs to be here to make the point.)

5.) Is the content Payware, or based off of Payware?
No matter what, you should NEVER upload payware content of ANY KIND to the DLS. Even if you created a reskin of a simple locomotive or rail car, the fact is that the original payware creator holds all rights to it. Uploading the content in this case, is a quick way to get the content removed, and the user out right banned.

6.) Does the content (in the case of a route) contain Payware?
Sometimes when creating routes, users will use items in it which are payware. (Such as structures.) If your content contains payware, you can upload it, so long as you do not upload the payware itself, as well as providing information where the payware content could be purchased. Barring that, a simple warning stating that the content uses some payware structures or items will at least give players a heads up what to expect.

7.) Have you classified it correctly?
Not as common as it once was, the fact remains that sometimes content is uploaded to the wrong locations. Whether it's a locomotive ending up in rolling stock, or a boxcar that thinks it's an electric locomotive, the fact is that this is still a problem. Before uploading your content, do a quick check to make sure you have the kind selected properly. It'll save headaches for users trying to find the content on the DLS, and produce more downloads for you.

8.) Are there limitations or licenses placed on the content that could prevent it's uploading? (other than payware)
Some users, or groups of users, prefer to host their content off the DLS. They have their reasons for doing so, and will often place "Licenses" in the content that states this. Before continuing your upload, check to make sure that there's not something like this lurking around. As always, you must respect the wishes of the original creator. As with everything, if you don't have permission (written or otherwise) to upload the content, then don't bother trying. You'll just get in trouble if you do.

9.) Is the content bug and error free?
One of the big headaches users have on the DLS, is downloading something only to find it won't show up because of a critical error or bug in the content itself. Before uploading, you should always check, and recheck the content to make certain it works without bugs or errors. This will save you a great deal of headaches in the future if you get into the general habit of checking.

Commonly asked questions on the forums:

Help! I uploaded a route, and now someone is claiming I stole their work! I only used theirs as a template/finished it/modified it.
In a way, you did steal their work. You've uploaded something without asking the user's permission, or offering credit. If you had credited them, or asked, then you wouldn't be having this problem.

I uploaded something and now people are telling me there's a bug. It worked fine when I built it, so now what?
Sometimes bugs happen when you least expect them. Before uploading, make sure you put the content through its paces. Don't just see if it loads into the game, actually play around with it. See if it rolls right (if rolling stock or locomotives), make sure the textures are properly formatted, and most of all, just see if you can make a bug happen. In this case, your best option is to upload revised and fixed content using the same KUID, so it will replace the existing bugged content.

I downloaded (item) from another site but it's not on the DLS and it's needed for my multiplayer. Can I upload it?
Short answer, No. That doesn't mean it's not totally possible. Ask the original creator first and see what they say. As always if the original creator says NO, then don't upload it.

I painted a reskin for a payware locomotive. Can I upload it so long as I leave the payware content out of the upload and just do the reskin itself?
Technically you could, but it's not advisable. Try contacting the creator you purchased the item from. They may want to host it on their site, keeping you well out of trouble.

I downloaded a route and totally rebuilt it, but now someone is claiming that I didn't credit them. What do I do?
Unless you built every single baseboard of the route yourself, the person has a valid claim against you. Your best bet is to request Auran remove the content before the original creator does it for you. Remember: Unless you did 100% of the work, you can not claim total ownership of the creation. You MUST provide credit.

Edited to correct a mistake on my part in regards to DLS EULA. (Thanks Zec! :) )

Last edited:
Excellent post, magickmaker.

Especially #2. Once I see several assets with the same exact thumbnail of the creators banner and not the asset itself, I move on.

I take the more restrictive point of view with regards to #3 - it's better to seek permission than ask forgiveness.

I just printed out your post and put it in my binder of asset creation notes. :)

Andrew

Mostly, it's common sense when you get down to it. What I try to stress to people is a simple adage to keep in mind.

If you did 100% of the work from start to finish, it's yours. That includes building track, structures, and everything found in or on the route. Otherwise, you will need permission.

..snip..
3.) Do you have permission for everything contained in the content?
Sometimes called the "reskin" rule, what this means is pretty simple. If you modified content produced by another person, you need their permission (either written or verbal) before uploading the content as yours. However, sometimes you can't reach the user that created the original content. Either they're no longer on the forums, or the content seems abandoned for other reasons. Does that mean you should just upload it anyway? The answer here is no. You should make every possible attempt to contact the user. Use the PM button here on the forum, email if needed, or as a last resort, post a note in the forums asking for their permission. Give the person time to respond (a good minimum is two weeks) and then if you don't hear from them, you can upload it. HOWEVER, you should always remember that if the user returns at a later date and discovers their content, then they may claim you uploaded it without their permission.
..snip..

You need to edit the highlighted sentence, if you want to be 100% politically correct (and legal).

Regardless of if an item is Payware, Freeware, Donationware, Barterware or any other "ware" that is NOT "Public Domain", you should NEVER upload someone elses content, or derivitives there-of, of any kind, without expressed permission; written, verbal, or electronically transmitted.

Lack of communication is no excuse to use others intellectual property, without permission.

Just my $0.02

The point of what you high lighted is to deal with situations of abandoned projects. You totally missed the second point that follows after that warning that even in such a case if you do so, there is always a chance the user could return and file a complaint.

As for politically correct, you've quite lost me.

Hi, Just had a look at your site.There is a only one live link on it and that was to City Switch route . Nothing else on it. Also copied address into the address bar of my browser but no different. Cheers

Give the person time to respond (a good minimum is two weeks) and then if you don't hear from them, you can upload it.

This is not correct, as far as the DLS EULA/terms and conditions are concerned. You MUST have permission from the author to upload. If you do not, then your content is in breach of the DLS T&C's. If you cannot contact the author, then you cannot upload.

Remember, the DLS T&C's require you to give a non exclusive commercial usage license to N3V for content uploaded to the DLS. IF you don't have permission from the author to do this, then you cannot upload to the DLS.

As to reskinning payware, you might be able to release an 'aliased' reskin, as this would require the payware item to work. However these are very limited when it comes to advanced models, and you would still need permission to redistribute the asset with the scripts, and any add-on meshes (wipers, etc)...

Regards

The only freeware you can upload to DLS with out needing any permission is the stuff I make that has one of my logo's in the thumbnail as long as you use that logo you don't need permission.

The only freeware you can upload to DLS with out needing any permission is the stuff I make that has one of my logo's in the thumbnail as long as you use that logo you don't need permission.

Hmmm... That''s a good idea, Dragon. I'd still put a "license" in the config, though--- just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi, Just had a look at your site.There is a only one live link on it and that was to City Switch route . Nothing else on it. Also copied address into the address bar of my browser but no different. Cheers

There's a bug in the ordering system. If you'd like the route send me a PM. I'm working on tracking down why the linking isn't working properly, but I have a file host site with the content anyway.

Back