Siemans/Cummins seek to topple duopoly of EMD/GE

Yay, more self-propelled boxcars. It's bad enough EMD & GE Ran ALCo out on a rail (two, actually :hehe: pardon the pun) but at least they were dyed-in-the-wool American locos. Stop trying to force your ugly looking locos on us Europe!!

...aaaand here comes the flame war.

They're kind of cool. We won't see them for probably another 30 years. We finally upgraded our locomotives here from F40PHs purchased around 1980.

John

They're kind of cool. We won't see them for probably another 30 years. We finally upgraded our locomotives here from F40PHs purchased around 1980.

Variants of the f40 were still being produced as late as 2000. 'finally upgraded' leaves a lot of room for error unless you have something specific in mind (MBTA?). Nothing wrong with keeping a good performing locomotive around for a while.

Variants of the f40 were still being produced as late as 2000. 'finally upgraded' leaves a lot of room for error unless you have something specific in mind (MBTA?). Nothing wrong with keeping a good performing locomotive around for a while.

I can't complain about the good performance. The "T" actually had some of the earliest of the F40phs and did have some refurbed about 6 years ago. These were/are like old Chevy and Ford trucks and have been running forever. The problem though is they're beginning to rust out along the wheel wells like the old trucks do. We have nasty slushy snow here that cakes up under the engines and ruins everything.

In general, MBTA doesn't upgrade much. When they took over the commuter operations from the Boston and Maine along with the south-side operations from Conrail during the 1980s, they inherited some interesting equipment. The south-side operations was still running Es and Fs pulling American Flyer coaches inherited from the New Haven along with Budd RDCs still lettered for the Boston and Albany, New Haven, and New York Central. The north-side operations were 100% Boston and Maine Budd Liners as we called them. In the late 1970s, the cars were de-engine and made into passenger coaches which were pulled by old rebuilt GM&O E3 units from the Paducah Shops which were designated FP10s. We referred to these engines as Easter Eggs. Eventually, the American Flyer cars went and were replaced by Horizons and Messerschmitt cars which we have north-side as well. The south-side also got some Kawasaki double-deckers, because they don't fit in one of the tunnels on the north-side.

John

Cost of maintenance is what it comes down to. These engines are getting up there in age, with that comes rising costs to maintain their worn parts- It only makes sense (from a maintenance manager's pov) to replace them with something a little more reliable and cheap to maintain.

The unstoppable force of globalization. I'll admit I'm not a fan of their designs but if the thumbnail is anything to go by, this upcoming locomotive doesn't look half as bad as the curved-platform-eating monstrosity that is the ACS64.

1499622ca366f4650db36fb44a16a588_XL.jpg

Well could be worse, you might end up with a fleet of Class 220/221 Voyagers or Class 180 Adelantes (replete with that lovely retention toilet smell.).

With the EMD F125 units currently being ordered, built, and delivered to commuter agencies on both the east and west coasts, I see these new Siemens units being a possible option for Amtrak should they ever want to replace their P42DC's (which I'm guessing that won't be for a while, which will give Siemens' locos time to get a foothold here in the US if they're found to be successful).

Seeing as how Siemens has already gotten into the lightrail business here with their electric LRV's, and now recently with their DMU's, I'm guessing their passenger locos will end up being as successful here as they are overseas.
It'll be nice to see more than the GE and EMD units at work. Maybe it'll rouse up some serious competition and bring about some awesome new designs. :D
Wouldn't be surprised if Alstom or Bombardier came up with something in the near future.

Last edited:
Well could be worse, you might end up with a fleet of Class 220/221 Voyagers or Class 180 Adelantes (replete with that lovely retention toilet smell.).

Ah yes, the hygenic blue water and stainless steel toilets with plastic seat. Brings tears to my eyes.
By the way there's nothing getting past Carstairs at the moment.

It would be neat to see Siemens experiment with EMD/GE on electric freight locomotives now that there is much better technology.

Repeat of the ASEA/EMD times anyone?

too bad it wont happen though

Semi-non-relevant question: IRL, which is louder for comparable output: EMD/FM 2-cycle or GE/ALCo/BLW 4-cycle?

Let's just say this is between my thermodynamics professor and me.

Oh yes. That smell!

The Messerschmitt cars had that lovely odor with the blue water to go along with them.

John

Noooooooo I like P42s - I really hope these don't replace them,

There going to have to be retired, soon. They're long in the tooth, and need to replaced.

I fully expect them to be ether these or the F125. (Which I think isn't that pretty, but hey.)

Back