Roymac's Edge County?

DELETED-6YZHbwBrrJjnpcj

Silence Earth Creature
Does anyone know if this is going to be released? I've checked the forums, and only have found old threads saying that it was released already. However, in searching for it, I've found nothing. Any help would be appreciated! :wave:

MarvinMartian

MarvinMartian......thanks for asking about my Edge County route. It has not been released yet. My original intent was to do so! It is TRS2004 and it has a lot of custom content which will make anyone who downloads it frustrated I am sure. Naturally I would like to have it well received if I made it available but I fear all I will get would be comments related to the the two issues mentioned above. The file is 7.36 MB in size which is not too large and if there is enough interest, then yea, I would make it available.

roymac

Roymac, thanks for responding :wave: I've seen the pics on your site, it looks great, so put me down as one who would be interested! :cool: Love your Cajon Pass, and Western Pacific, so keep up the great work!

MarvinMartian

...updated screenshots

I appreciate the interest shown about my "Edge County" layout. I have provided a couple of screenshots here to show some of the latest changes made to the route - it is always changing! The Sky is the big change shown. A good Sky can change the whole mood of a layout and I felt I had to try this one.

As for uploading it, most people now playing with this sim are new and are not all that familiar with some of us "old farts" and hence, a lot of really good 'original' routes are bypassed, missed or just plain forgotten about. I feel my "Western Pacific and Cajon Pass" are two such routes. My Edge County route (now finished) is nothing special as far as routes themselves go but, I feel it is a good representation of the kind of routes that I build. It is not proto-typical, nor representing any railroad route other than my imagination. Like so many of the good routes now available, it comes down to personal choices as to what makes up an interesting route and hence whether or not it will be of interest to others. Thanks "Railtrackdelay" and "MarvinMartin" for your interest. I will continue to monitor interest and make my decision soon. That way, you won't have to hold your breath for too long!!!

screen024copyvl8.jpg

screen025copytw4.jpg

screen026copyjs5.jpg

Roymac

screen027copytx5.jpg

I would love to download Roymac's route BUT as Roymac stated I am one of those who will not search all over the web for dependencies. It's a shame, I realise that the authors build their routes for themselves but with a little more thought towards maybe putting it on the dls a lot more people would be able to enjoy their work. From the screenshots that I have seen it looks like a very good route but one that I will not be able to enjoy.

Hi Roymac,

I would be interested in your route. I have your others and enjoy them greatly. Finding assets is not a problem, in fact I rather enjoy that aspect of the hobby.

William

I would love to download Roymac's route BUT as Roymac stated I am one of those who will not search all over the web for dependencies. It's a shame, I realise that the authors build their routes for themselves but with a little more thought towards maybe putting it on the dls a lot more people would be able to enjoy their work. From the screenshots that I have seen it looks like a very good route but one that I will not be able to enjoy.

..I understand where you are coming from stouthm, hence my delay in the routes availability. However, as with the other routes I have made available you can change or add anything to it you want as I don't get concerned with 'ownership' issues. I feel this is one way to compromise on the challenge of searching for custom items.

food for thought....roymac

Roymac, not a bad suggestion. Just how big is this route and any idea as to how many things one would have to change? I wouldn't mind changing some things because I think your routes look fantastic and would like to take a trip on this route but there again how many changes? Thanks for responding.

Roymac, not a bad suggestion. Just how big is this route and any idea as to how many things one would have to change? I wouldn't mind changing some things because I think your routes look fantastic and would like to take a trip on this route but there again how many changes? Thanks for responding.

.......exactly how many things one would have to change, I couldn't say for sure. When I reloaded Trainz 04 back onto my new system then reinstalled my routes I had about 100 items missing. The good news is that I was able to find almost all of them on the DLS with the exception of myabe 10 items. It was easy to replace those missing items. Some were textures, but most were buildings or road intersections. As for the size of the route - in terms of baseboards - I have not counted them. It takes about 30-40 minutes for a train to run a circut route depending on how many stops I include. As I mentioned, it is about 7.5MB in computer size which maybe considered on the smaller side of route creations. It is fairly detailed so some computers might have a challenge running it although it would have to be an older one as most new systems today should not have such a problem. Check out the screenshot section as I added some more to it the other day........you may have to go to page 2 as I don't see it anymore on page 1!

roymac

Last edited:
Ten items would not stop me from downloading this route. I had the impression that there were many more than maybe a dozen. So yes, put it on the dls and I'll give it a try. I use 06 so that should gather up all the items for me. Thanks again.

I would like to download this route also. Would it be possible to put the content not on the DLS in a file to a separate place? This would help everyone have the file and not have the useless and frustrating content search I always seem to find myself doing.

Another option could be to link the content,sites, not on the DLS via a main thread.

.....So what's the verdict, have you decided yet Roymac? I think there may be enough interest in it. Maybe by bringing this up again, more people will take notice. :D

MarvinMartian

.....So what's the verdict, have you decided yet Roymac? I think there may be enough interest in it. Maybe by bringing this up again, more people will take notice. :D

MarvinMartian

.....I will upload the route this week. It has been a long time since I have uploaded any route so bear with me while I figure it out. Thanks for your interest - as well as the interest expressed by others. Please keep in mind, it is TRS2004. Also, there is a lot of custom content which will mean a lot of searching. You should be able to find it all but if you can't, you may do whatever you wish to the route to fill in the missing holes. Once you have completed the upload and found all the 'stuff' I would appreciate any comments you may have - good or bad as they always can be used to improve the next project.

roymac

Thanks Roymac. Before I download this route with what may be a lot of searching will you describe this route for us? Is it mountainous, flat, lot of industries, point A to point B, etc.

Thanks Roymac. Before I download this route with what may be a lot of searching will you describe this route for us? Is it mountainous, flat, lot of industries, point A to point B, etc.

....if you have never downloaded any of my routes, the first thing you will notice is the detail. I take special care in trying to 'texture or paint' the scenery. Lots of trees with backgrounds are used to help with a sense of depth. The trackwork is straight - maybe even unrealistically so but that is the way I like to see it. This route will have a loop to it so that you can run trains on AI with pretty good success If you are good with signals or trackmarkers you may improve on what I have done so the incidents of collisions would be less. I have never had a head on one but rather, one train driving into the rear of another train. Most of the terrain that the trains drive on is flat. I have vaired the elevation in places but only slightly. The mainline is doubled. Two small yards exists but only 1 has a roundhouse. The other yard is more for industry than train maintenance. Passenger stations have been set up to allow for running in both directions. A logging camp allows for log pickup. Other industries include: pulp mill, grain mill, general goods, lumber and other bulk goods. It is set up to allow for aircraft via an invisible flight path. If you want to see more go to the Screenshots page and search for roymac you will come across threads about the edge county and its progress.

I hope this helps.

roymac

Back