Has anyone else been experiencing these bugs in Trainz 2022

Little_Boy921

Route Building Rocks
So this is my second thread regard a bug I found in Trainz 2022. But instead of devoting it to a single topic, I feel like it would be better to make one about the other bugs that I've found because there are quite a few. If anyone else has experience any other bugs that I haven't mentioned here, feel free to reply with your own.

I've only had the game since Christmas, and I've only recently started playing it way more over the past month, and I've noticed quite an alarming number of bugs, and most of them can get really irritating. One is the selected area option in bulk asset replace being broken, and the other being object signs not retaining edits when saved (the latter of which I have made a thread on here -->https://forums.auran.com/threads/object-name-edits-are-not-saved-trs-22.176789/). But those arent the only ones that I've been experiencing. One bug I've noticed in one of routes Im working on is that any new rulers I place down are invisible. The measurement numbers are there but the neon colored ruler is not visible. And whats weird about this specific instance is that its only a specific section of the route. The route in question is an NEC project I've been working on since late 2021 (and which I have been taking a little hiatus from, but if you're curious this is the thread of it here:https://forums.auran.com/threads/northeast-corridor-project-wip.168155/), and the area where new rulers are not visible stretches from Rahway to Sunnyside Yard. Anywhere outside that zone, rulers can appear. I dont know why thats happening and why only in that specific area, and I dont really have any theories as to whats causing this. Another bug I've experienced is one I have experienced in Trainz 2019, but more so in Trainz 2022 to a more.....disheartening extent. Basically, there are times where, upon entering surveyor mode, half of any edits I had made the last time are gone. Like, the terrien, ground and embankments would be there but any tracks, junctions, signals, or objects would just be gone. Im pretty sure you can see how annoying this bug is, and what's frustrating is that the game gives me a warning sign that its going to do this upon me saving and exiting the game. If the junction/signal number resets to a lower number (example, the next junction I make after 'Junction 5433' being 'Junction 03'), that's the games way of telling me, "hope you're proud of the progress you made, because half of it is going to be gone when you go back into surveyor mode". Now like I said, it did happen in Trainz 2019 but it happened so in frequently, it never was a big issue. It happened about one or two times a few months, and I think once in 2021. In Trainz 2022, this has happened to me, a total of 3 times within a the span of less than week. I cant express how demotivating and awful the feeling is when I open up a route I've been working only to find that half of the progress I had made the last time basically deleted like it never happened.

Has anyone else been experiencing these bugs? Please let me know

Regarding missing edits, one cause is accidentally placing things on the session layer instead of the route layer. Then, the next time you load the route using "edit route", things will be missing.

To prevent this, what I do is "select a route", then "view sessions", then "select a session." Then, once it loads, immediately I go to layers and lock the session layer, then select the route layer. Then, unless I am placing or moving trains, I never go back to the session layer. This assumes that you will only have one session for that route. You can modify the driver instructions even with the session layer locked.

If you have multiple sessions for a route with some things on one session and some things on another, of course it becomes more complicated.

Another issue mentioned here, in addition to stuff not being there, is white space with no track, textures, etc. This is usually caused by a drag on your computer caused by some unwieldy assets, or the track. Some track is made better than others and so are assets. If you are using a lot of Sketch-up models, then this can definitely have an impact on your performance and load times. Using lots of assets with no LOD will put a big strain on your computer causing assets to load slowly. The larger the route too will make this even more obvious.

Using the same assets helps a lot with this issue because it's only a single object that gets referenced once from disk, the slowest component in your computer system. This is difficult with trees and other unique objects, but for run of the mill stuff, the same is good especially in the distance because no one will see it anyway or at the detail needed to really tell it's mostly the same. This is the same thing that used to be done in movies and is still done today with animated flicks.

Defragmenting a regular hard disk definitely helps with this issue, and please do that if you are using a regular hard drive.
I would also be concerned with low drive space as well with assets not only getting larger but also due to the backups getting larger as well because they are created every time you edit your route.

Sometimes, reducing your graphics settings helps a lot with this. Try Basic instead of Standard for your graphics and set your Vsync to half. I do this with my RTX3080 and it runs far better, and much cooler too. The only way to find out though is to try it yourself.

Regarding missing edits, one cause is accidentally placing things on the session layer instead of the route layer. Then, the next time you load the route using "edit route", things will be missing.

To prevent this, what I do is "select a route", then "view sessions", then "select a session." Then, once it loads, immediately I go to layers and lock the session layer, then select the route layer. Then, unless I am placing or moving trains, I never go back to the session layer. This assumes that you will only have one session for that route. You can modify the driver instructions even with the session layer locked.

If you have multiple sessions for a route with some things on one session and some things on another, of course it becomes more complicated.

I actually did learn this the hard way when working on one of my routes. But in this instance, none of the tracks, junctions, signals, or objects were not on the session layer. Unless the game somehow automatically put them on the session layer, there is no way they would be there unless I actually did it. For the specific route this has been happening to, I did check the sessions to see if the edits I made were in there, and they werent

Another issue mentioned here, in addition to stuff not being there, is white space with no track, textures, etc. This is usually caused by a drag on your computer caused by some unwieldy assets, or the track. Some track is made better than others and so are assets. If you are using a lot of Sketch-up models, then this can definitely have an impact on your performance and load times. Using lots of assets with no LOD will put a big strain on your computer causing assets to load slowly. The larger the route too will make this even more obvious.

Using the same assets helps a lot with this issue because it's only a single object that gets referenced once from disk, the slowest component in your computer system. This is difficult with trees and other unique objects, but for run of the mill stuff, the same is good especially in the distance because no one will see it anyway or at the detail needed to really tell it's mostly the same. This is the same thing that used to be done in movies and is still done today with animated flicks.

Defragmenting a regular hard disk definitely helps with this issue, and please do that if you are using a regular hard drive.
I would also be concerned with low drive space as well with assets not only getting larger but also due to the backups getting larger as well because they are created every time you edit your route.

Sometimes, reducing your graphics settings helps a lot with this. Try Basic instead of Standard for your graphics and set your Vsync to half. I do this with my RTX3080 and it runs far better, and much cooler too. The only way to find out though is to try it yourself.

The thing is, when the tracks or anything disappear, there is white space where they used to be. Outside of embankments, tracks or anything the game selectively decided to not save is just gone. Also Im not really sure if Im using any sketchup assets (in fact I didnt know it was even a thing until now). Most of the assets I use for tracks are already packaged with the game or on the download station

Unless the game somehow automatically put them on the session layer, there is no way they would be there unless I actually did it
The trap here for the unwary is that when you load a session, the session-layer (usually the top layer in the Session Group) is the active layer where all new assets will be added but you think that you are editing the route, not the session. When you load a route the route-layer (usually the top layer in the Route Group) is the active layer.

The thing is, when the tracks or anything disappear, there is white space where they used to be. Outside of embankments, tracks or anything the game selectively decided to not save is just gone. Also Im not really sure if Im using any sketchup assets (in fact I didnt know it was even a thing until now). Most of the assets I use for tracks are already packaged with the game or on the download station
Some of the bigger famous buildings are usually Sketch-up models.

It doesn't matter if the track is built-in or not. There is some heavily-built track that doesn't draw well or puts a drag on your system. I highly recommend lowering your graphics to Basic and try that for a bit and see how things render. This will reduce the load on your system.

Crap I forgot to update this thread. In between the last post and now, I think @pware was right in assuming that the reason the "certain stuff not being saved" thing was happening was because I was somehow, placing stuff on the session layer. Initially, I didn't think it was because in my past experience, I only way I could see myself putting stuff on the session layer was if I was actively doing so. However, I think there might be some sort of keyboard command that switches which layer your on that's close to where the 'Z' key is. I say this because right after I was pressing 'crtl Z', I noticed that any new signals I placed down reverted back to earlier numbers, and that they were on the session layer, even though when you enter surveyor mode you're always on the route layer as default. I have to find what that specific keyboard command is, but I will concede that this wasnt a glitch thankfully. I'll just be keeping the session layer locked and being careful about which buttons I press going forward.

But, thats not to rule out the......ruler glitch (poor choice of wording I know). I probably should've included screenshots in my op post but here's an example from today
2024-02-15_%282%29.png

2024-02-15_%283%29.png

Are these actually the new rulers?

I thought the new rulers were real splines and not these horrible things that are difficult to select and move. The issue you see appears to be related to LOD causing them to disappear at certain distances and angles.

I thought the new rulers were real splines and not these horrible things that are difficult to select and move. The issue you see appears to be related to LOD causing them to disappear at certain distances and angles.
These are not the new rulers. They are the old ones. But if you place these in Surveyor Classic, they will be visible in Surveyor 2.0.

Those are the old ones. The new ones Im not entire well versed in just yet

Those are the old ones. The new ones Im not entire well versed in just yet
That makes sense then. The old rulers have had "issues" in TRS19 and TRS22 and apparently N3V has replaced them with the spline-like ones that work like telegraph poles, roads, and other spline assets. They are much easier to manage than the old ones that have always had issues and actually used to cause performance problems in routes.

That makes sense then. The old rulers have had "issues" in TRS19 and TRS22 and apparently N3V has replaced them with the spline-like ones that work like telegraph poles, roads, and other spline assets. They are much easier to manage than the old ones that have always had issues and actually used to cause performance problems in routes.

Hmm I see! I do know of the spline ones but I've barley been using them as Im much more accustomed to using the old ruler tool. Though in instances like the one I showed where rulers dont show for some reason, I'll use the new ones in their place

I was also reluctant to make the switch from the old colourful rulers to the new spline-like ones. Using the Classic rulers was the only reason that I was often switching from Surveyor 2.0 back to Classic. The old rulers were certainly easy to spot, particularly from a distance.

However, one day just recently, I decided to try the new rulers and, after a short period of "acclimatization" I now use them constantly. No more switching between Classic and S20.

I discovered that the new rulers have some advantages over the old:-
  • they can be placed into their own layer and all of them can be quickly deleted by deleting the layer - deleting lots of rulers was a pain in Classic
  • they can be easily isolated from surrounding objects by using the Assets Palette filter tools
  • they are much easier to move

I was also reluctant to make the switch from the old colourful rulers to the new spline-like ones. Using the Classic rulers was the only reason that I was often switching from Surveyor 2.0 back to Classic. The old rulers were certainly easy to spot, particularly from a distance.

However, one day just recently, I decided to try the new rulers and, after a short period of "acclimatization" I now use them constantly. No more switching between Classic and S20.

I discovered that the new rulers have some advantages over the old:-
  • they can be placed into their own layer and all of them can be quickly deleted by deleting the layer - deleting lots of rulers was a pain in Classic
  • they can be easily isolated from surrounding objects by using the Assets Palette filter tools
  • they are much easier to move

I think I'll check them out in that case.

But do you know why the old rulers are bugging out like in the pictures I showed (being invisible or being cut off)?

I did post a bug report on this a while back and started a forum thread on the issue - see vanishing-rulers-in-trs19-sp3. It applied to very (very) long rulers in TRS19. I do not know if the issue was ever fixed.

Dang. Didnt think it happened in Trainz 2019 too. Though in my case, I've only been experiencing this in Trainz 2022, and it only affects new rulers I place in certain areas. Weird :/

Back