Questions re: What to Buy

fredyale

Hi,

I have been reading the product descriptions and am somewhat confused as to how to begin.

My primary interests in Trainz are:

- The ability to recreate layouts from the popular modelling magazines before building anything.

- Replication of portions of New England steam to diesel era prototype routes and consists, using as many existing "assets" as possible.

- Repliction of Maine narrow guage routes.

Based on my reading, there are many (some?) assets that exist on the download station that aren't compatible with Classic Trainz. But, Classic Trainz is said to have more "capabilities" than Trainz 2006.

So, my questions are these:

- Should I buy Trainz Classics vols. 1 & 2 (on 1 DVD); Trainz 2006; or both?.

- Do I overlap anything by purchasing both?

- Similarly, do I lose anything by choosing one or the other?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Fred

(the Flashing Rear End Device, I guess).

TC being the newest, means that you will have access to all content released to date(some may require tweaking); whereas with 06 you will not be able to use TC content. as for building layouts; both have about the same in the surveyor mode.
You say you wish to recreate layouts before building anything. in this do you mean building assets (trains, building track, etc) or building anything (including layouts)

Trainz comes with access to The Download Station which contains hundreds of thousands of various items for TRS (and TC). you can get things from old US stuff to the modern Japan Shinkansen (bullet train) and beyond that there are plenty of 3rd party site that have stuff that is not on the DLS. Although in general you should expect to have to use a bit of your imagination when creating routes because even though there are thousands of items, the one thing you need may not be in that list.

hope that helps

peter

Edit: I should mention that TC; being the newest there is considerably less TC-only content available, but you can still use TRS2006 stuff.
Also
I think most of the problems in converting 06 stuff to TC comes from people who own both.
I should also state my preferance;
Personally I would go with TRS2006, because it is the older and more reliably system and features almost all of the same features as TC that and it comes with a variaty (i forgot about this earlier) of "built in" items that do not come with 06 and are not available anywhere else.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

Thanks for that quick reply.

You asked: "You say you wish to recreate layouts before building anything. in this do you mean building assets ..."

I meant that I want to recreate model RR layouts as depicted in Model Railroader magazine and others, and see how they operate in Trainz before actually building the layout physically, using equipment from Walthers, my attic, etc.

It seems from your response that I would be OK to purchase Trainz Classics volumes 1 & 2. I guess that is how I will proceed.

Thanks,

Fred

Peter,

Oops, looks like we crossed responses.

Based on your recommendation, it looks like I might do well to get TRS 2006, see how that works out, and then obtain classics based on what they contain?

I am just confused as to what the classics volumes contain that I might miss by going with 2006.

I guess I can solve the whole thing by throwing money at it, but that has not always worked out well in the past.

Thanks for helping out a newbie,

Fred

Classics contains 1 or two routes and the required content to use them, along with Content Manger Plus (access to DLS and editing of content) and Surveyor (route building).
2006 contains a wide range of routes from a variety of places (including australia, UK, Germany, Spain, USA) in a variety of scales (ok, just normal gauge and Narrow gauge) along with a wide range of content for you to use at your pleasure, most of which were included so that the pre-installed routes will run.

peter

fredyale

I would recomend that you start with TRS2006 although as a creator I prefer the greater ease of content creation that TRS2004 provides.

I note that you mention a liking for Maine narrow gauge. There is a completed route for the SR&RL on the DLS but as it was made for TRS2004, it may need some work for TS2006. Structures for this route are available on the DLS. A large selection of SR&RL locos and stock is available from http://www.trainzone.co.nz, these are not available from the DLS.

There is also a complete narrow gauge route, 2ft and 3ft, included with TRS2006 together with suitable content.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

FREDYALE wrote:

"I meant that I want to recreate model RR layouts as depicted in Model Railroader magazine and others, and see how they operate in Trainz before actually building the layout physically, using equipment from Walthers, my attic, etc."

I got ideas from Linn Westcott's 101 TRACK PLANS when I got started in Virtual Railroading. I spent two weeks playing with TRAINPLAYER before I discovered Aurans' Trainz. Trainplayer has the 101 TRACK PLANS laid out on grids somewhat similar to the Trainz grid section blocks. Of course, Trainplayer is geared toward model railroading, and its' size and scope is for a model railroader. But still, they present operational ideas, and provided me with a reasonable start to designing my own virtual railroad. Alas, there is no room in my home for a real model railroad larger than a 4 x 8 board. I no longer find that to be fun. Not big enough.:wave:

Last edited:
......- Should I buy Trainz Classics vols. 1 & 2 (on 1 DVD); Trainz 2006; or both?......

TC, known as "Trainz Railwayz" in overseas markets is due to start shipping to retail stores shortly. Follow this link to the distributors website http://www.merscom.com/games/railwayz.php

The bit that I think will interest you the most is:

"Includes FREE Trainz Railroad Simulator, with over 150 authentic real-world locomotives and 7500 scenery objects"

You won't get the routes or driver sessions from TRS but all of the assets.

Steve:)

Personally, I've been running '06 for quite some time, now and after reading all the horror stories about TC on these forums, I've decided to revert back to '04. '04 is a much more stable train game.:)

Given the original poster's list of requirements, I'd advise looking for a new copy of TRS2004 which may well be available now at a very low cost in the bargain software section of a physical shop, or at an online retailer. Be sure to avoid purchasing a secondhand copy though as that will prevent registration on Download Station (DLS) to download more items. After purchase, make sure it is upgraded to SP4, the final service pack for TRS2004.

After getting to grips with the program for a while, a purchase of TRS2006 and/or TC can of course be considered. More than one version of Trainz can be installed on the same computer if desired.

John

Hi,

I have been reading the product descriptions and am somewhat confused as to how to begin.

My primary interests in Trainz are:

- The ability to recreate layouts from the popular modelling magazines before building anything.

- Replication of portions of New England steam to diesel era prototype routes and consists, using as many existing "assets" as possible.

- Repliction of Maine narrow guage routes.

Based on my reading, there are many (some?) assets that exist on the download station that aren't compatible with Classic Trainz. But, Classic Trainz is said to have more "capabilities" than Trainz 2006.

So, my questions are these:

- Should I buy Trainz Classics vols. 1 & 2 (on 1 DVD); Trainz 2006; or both?.

- Do I overlap anything by purchasing both?

- Similarly, do I lose anything by choosing one or the other?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Fred

(the Flashing Rear End Device, I guess).

TRS2006 would be my recommendation today, however TC 3 has improved steam stuff so I'd think about picking that one up as well when it becomes available.

TRS2006 has the built in assets that many layouts need, TC basically doesn't. I prefer TRS2006 to TRS2004 but actually run TC. Trainz can be a bit finicky about machines and drivers etc. so you may find that TC runs fine but TRS2006 has some problems or the other way round. Be aware that you must install SP1 before running TRS2006 to get a stable platform.

Cheerio John

Many Thanks

Hello to all,

Thanks to all of you for the insight provided in your posts. I now know much more about what is contained in each version, pros and cons, etc.

I am very much interested in some of the additional suggestions for 3rd party links and will certainly follow up on those.

I'll also be purchasing something in the next day or so - maybe more than one.

Again, thank you all very much for helping out.

Cordially,

Fred Yale
Guilford, CT USA

Final Update

Hi again,

I have initially ordered TRS 2006 based on your responses and, to a certain degree, the advertising hype. I suspect that there are more purchases to follow.

I look forward to becoming a part of this community.

Thanks,

FRED

Back