A few questions

Charlese83

I have recently returned to the internet after a long absence and after reading a few post on the forums have some question. I currently have T:ANE, SP4, Build 105766, which I assume is T:ANE-DLX? I am quite happy and content to stay right where I am at, but I also saw that my version will no longer be supported, is that correct? And is this lost of support in the form of my not having the ability to upload any new content I create to the DLS? Playing solo and creating your own routes is great but doing the same in a MP session would be the cherry on the cake. If this is true and I am unable to upload how will I be able to upload a MP route and all the necessary files.

Are both of the two new versions based on the same engine and codes as my version? Do either of the newer versions, TRS19 or TRS22, play MP games better or are they limited by the same need for all the files to be identical? Would this perhaps be the reason why I do not see a lot of post from TRS19 players asking for drivers to drive trains on a particular route on a recurring day at the same start hour because most people have modified too many files by now, or are most MP games on TRS19 private?

If the problems for MP is as stated with the need for identical files, then the best way to solve that would be to have a separated hard-drive with your Trainz version on it dedicated solo for MP games, with it's own separate data base. Another hard-drive with the game is where you would tinker, modify and change files with its own separated data base. Thus, this could created a niche job of being a file manager and setting up of hard-drives for others, with hard-drives being mailed back and forth. Or would this be frown upon?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I currently have T:ANE, SP4, Build 105766, which I assume is T:ANE-DLX? I am quite happy and content to stay right where I am at, but I also saw that my version will no longer be supported, is that correct?

It will no longer receive service pack updates, so SP4 is the last version that will be created for T:ANE. You can, however, continue to use it.

And is this lost of support in the form of my not having the ability to upload any new content I create to the DLS?

T:ANE SP4 will happily load and use any new (or old) assets with a Trainz Build version number of 4.5 or less. Assets with build version numbers of 4.6 and above are for TRS19 and TRS22. There is a lot of new stuff still appearing on the DLS that will run on T:ANE. You can add the Build Version column to your Content Manager display (if it is not already there) by right mouse clicking on any column heading, select Insert and Build Version. This column will tell you if any DLS asset will be suitable for T:ANE or not (value of 4.5 or less).

Any routes you create with T:ANE will have a build version of 4.5 and can be uploaded to the DLS and downloaded by T:ANE, TRS19 and TRS22 users as well.

I don't use Multiplayer so I cannot comment on those questions. But I do believe that all players must still have the same assets installed. You don't need a separate hard drive to run different versions of Trainz on your system. I currently have Trainz Plus and TRS22 happily sitting on the same drive but they have different install folders in the C drive and each has its own userdata folder.

My thoughts.

Last edited:
Really the only improvements to MP in TRS19 is that the game will offer to revert any modified content to the version available on the DLS. That remains the ironclad rule, everything must be on the DLS or built-in so swapping hard drives would have no effect. Other than a few bug fixes, I'm not aware of any other improvements although I'm sure now the MPS will be part of TRS22 that MP might receive a new look. Certainly the way that MPS works with dedicated cloud servers is far superior to the peer to peer way the MP works.

My thoughts are that MP was a response to what Tony called "the most requested feature ever" that started well enough in a very simplistic way in TS12. It kind of got lost in the code changes done for TANE and nothing new was added. Much like a game of D&D, it needs a enthusiastic host to create an interesting operating session. Lacking that it is little more than users randomly running trains on the same route.

I'm not aware of any technical reason that TS12, TANE and TRS19 couldn't all take part in the same MP game other than the requirement that they all must have identical content. Which would reduce them all to only unchanged assets available to the lowest version being used by any player.

Thank you pware for your response and tip on the build version column. I have looked for, but so far have not found a way to filter out these incompatible items, similar to setting a minimum build, and way to set a maximum build.

I agree with you wreeder about the different platforms all running in the same virtual world. Instead of being specific about each item in game a generic placeholder is put in and then each client's build uses a version that is on that clients computer. For example the host calls for one of lilb fine looking 40ft boxcars to be sitting on a spur, each client would see the boxcar that matches their build. For example I played a Middle Earth Online on two computers, each character toon would see a merchant in the same spot, but one might have black hair and for the other computer it would show as blond. All the client needed to know was that there was to be a merchant in that spot and probably had a list or choices to choose from when placing in game.

So in my quest to find out if MP works for TANE I made sure all the routes that originally came with the box set of the game had all their files build-in or from the download station and non-modified. Then I tried to fireup each game, but to no success. Here is what I found:

C & O Hinton Division, missing, kuid2:39134:101378:127, kuid2:39134:101377:127, kuid2:39134:101363:127, and kuid2:39134:101374:127,
Kick Starter Country, missing, kuid2:104722:53230:127, and kuid2:104722:51150:127,
ECMC Kings Cross, missing, kuid2:60850:88000:127,
Healsville, missing, kuid2:102376:10093:127,
Season Town, missing, kuid2:46162:60001:127,
Warwick-Wallangarra, missing, kuid2:142454:23002:127,
Bidye Traction, missing kuid2:46162:60001:127, and kuid2:102376:10093:127.

Do I see a pattern here in a unknown extension?

I even tried one called Chapaevo multiplayer, kuid:837267:100003, and kuid:942070:100003, both build 3.7. Unfortunately, they both had about a dozen files missing dependencies and few faulty files. The dependency that was missing was the same for all a 4.6 Incompatible item, vtl Light Lamp corona1 kuid:610762:260421, thus rendering the route useless for me. I can fix the issue for solo play but then MP play is destroyed. So here is a 3.7 build with a 4.6 item in it, I hope this is just an oversight?

So my next question, any suggestions on a route to download for MP that works! for TANE build 105766 version 4.5?

Thank you pware for your response and tip on the build version column. I have looked for, but so far have not found a way to filter out these incompatible items, similar to setting a minimum build, and way to set a maximum build.

Try this. I started with the Download Station filter but this could be done to any filter. I just added two extra lines to the filter as shown below.

Max-Build4-5-Filter.png

It will only list assets on the DLS up to and including build 4.5. Click the Save button and give it a name for future use.

The .127 version assets were either caused by the creator uploading an item to the DLS using a KUID2 format but failing to include a version number like KUID2:xxxxxx:xxxxxx when the proper format was KUID2:xxxxxx:xxxxxxx:x. The DLS would add the .127 to the kuid. I believe that problem was fixed years ago but the items remain. I have also seen some users reporting that CM will do the same thing but I have never seen this happen. Odd that included MP sessions are missing assets. That seems like a bug to me. Maybe someone in the MP/MPS forum knows how to did with that issue.

Based upon something Tony said recently, it may be that with TRS22 and Trainz+ that MP is restricted to users with the same version of Trainz. Maybe that means that improvements have been made to the way it works. We can hope.

Try a database repair too to remove the :127. Other users here have mentioned success with that.

As far as having multiple copies of the program installed, you are allowed to do that. The only thing not allowed is running the two copies at the same time. In your example of having a separate install for multiplayer operations, this is easily done.

- Create a new empty data folder on another hard drive such as your D-drive.

D:/TANE_MP_DATA (name it whatever you want)

- Install another copy of TANE and patch up to SP4 if you need to.

- Let the installer do its thing including build a new data-folder on C:

Once completed...

- At the Launcher:

- Click on Trainz Settings.
- Click on Install tab
- Click on the ... in the right corner.

This will open up Explorer.

- Browse for your D:/TANE_MP_DATA folder.
- Click Select Folder.

TANE will do something and require a restart.

- Start again.
- At the Launcher, click on Trainz Settings
- Click on Internet and put in your username and password
- While in there, set up anything else such as your backups.

- Once all this is completed, setup your performance settings and you should be good to go.

A bit of background here, slightly off topic.

The :127 in the sequence kuid2:abcd:wxyz:127 is the "end of the line" (pardon the pun) for updates for that particular kuid2 sequence. It is not possible to have a kuid2 asset with :128 or greater at the end of its number sequence because of the way that the kuid sequence is coded in binary - a signed binary number where the first binary digit means positive or negative so instead of 0 to 255 possible values, the range is -128 to +127. In this case only the positive values from 1 to 127 are used.

If an asset has a kuid of, say kuid2:1234:5678:127, and a new update is issued then the new update must be given a new kuid2 sequence, say kuid2:1234:9876:1. The new asset should include in its config.txt file an obsolete-kuid container which should list <kuid2:1234:5678:127> as an entry.

In my ongoing quest to find a MP route in TANE I purchased a gold ticket and started downloading. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding a route that is not broken with :127 kuids installed or missing. So I have decided to try my own luck at creating a small MP test module.

What I need to know know is the proper way to upload a route, and sessions. Should I:

1 - Load everything at once, route, solo and MP session,
2 - Load the route first and then load the sessions,
3 - Load the route, wipe my version from my hard drive, download this version, make my sessions from this version and then upload them?

Thanks for any replies

You can delete the 27 and submit the asset or do an asset version search and use download this version on the next lower version number.

This journey to find a functional multi player route in TANE A New Era like all journeys is never straight. I want to thank everyone so far that have replied to this thread. In another thread I discovered that there are two kinds of data base repairs, regular and extended. So this time after holding the control button to do a extended data base repair, this time it cleared up a huge amount of 127 files, not all of them but a big percentage.

Now the reason for this journey is I am setting up a hard drive for my brother who will be retiring soon. I figured I would get it set up with some multi player routes that we could play together in. I also have two computers so I am able to test that everything works before installing the hard drive in his computer.

Now after this extended data base repair when I tried to get into the multi player sessions in the routes that came with box version of TANE, a popup window appeared asking to install assets that I knew I already had on my hard drive. So downloaded these files. Most are still showing a few 127 files which I will try to track down a file at a time. The ECML Kings Cross Edinburgh would not load because kuid2:42884:37022:2 Telegraph 20wire is an unofficial asset. I was able to get into the Warwick-Wallangarra multi player session. It is a beautiful route but kinda dead with nothing really to do except drive from one end to the other. None of the industries function, which is a shame. There are no areas with double track long enough to test the perform of your connection by having two opposing trains traveling at speed pass each other. I looked into the possibility of fixing this route, but just adding a multi-industry track and stations would not be enough because all the rolling stock loads configures would also have to be changed which would entail changing and uploading them first before uploading the revised multi-player route. A easy fix for solo play. When i first got the game I remember getting into a few of the multi player routes like C&O Hinton Division, again a beautiful route but feeling hollow with no industries operating and I remember the first industry I tried to interact with froze my engine and I had to switch to another.

As I mentioned before I will try to upload a small test track. So far in my 5 years I have yet to upload anything do the download station. I decided to first try a test and upload a commodity. It has been a week and I have yet to see it on the download station. What is the usual turn around time for times to be uploaded and then to appear on the download station for downloading?

I have gone ahead and uploaded this test route to the DLS it is called TANE SP-4 Bennett & Bennett Pipe Co my kind number for it is kuid:662498:100082. I am not sure if and when it might show up for downloading, but if it does then I will upload a solo and multi player sessions to discover if multi player play is viable and thus if it is even worth the effort for a larger route.

As per my last thread I have uploaded 2 files to the DLS, and it has been many weeks and I have not been able to find them on the DLS so I can download them onto my second computer. I have found files to download that show them being uploaded the day before they appear on the DLS. So my new questions are how long does it take for these files and my files to go from being uploaded to the DLS and then being able to download them from the DLS? Is there a special procedure to get a file on the DLS other than using the Content Manager and the upload to DLS button?

Is there a special procedure to get a file on the DLS other than using the Content Manager and the upload to DLS button?

Normally the entire process takes about 24hrs (sometimes a bit longer) from when you complete the upload.

From my recent memory, the following is the normal process:-

1. The upload will go through an automated vetting process after which you will receive an email informing you of the result - accepted or rejected, with reasons given (e.g. faulty). Check your junk email folder as your email system may have placed it there. You may also have changed your email address since joining Trainz and have not changed your membership details.
  2. The upload will be held in a "storage facility" for 31 days waiting for you to:-

• [*=1]approve the upload (after which it will appear on the DLS), or
    [*=1]reject the upload and it will be automatically deleted during the next update cycle (typically within 24hrs), or
    [*=1]you upload the asset again (after making changes such as correcting any errors)

If you take no action (the three dot point above) then after the 31 days the uploaded asset will be deleted.

The 3 dot point actions listed above are found in the MyTrainz link at the top of this page, then click the My Content link found halfway down the left column

Thank you so much pware! That was the exact information I needed. You were correct in your assumptions of no e-mail address. Pointing out the alternate way of checking via MyTrainz, I found the route was still in holding and I was able to approve it for uploading. Now I feel excited again and am looking forward for tomorrow to continue this project.

I have recently returned to the internet after a long absence and after reading a few post on the forums have some question. I currently have T:ANE, SP4, Build 105766, which I assume is T:ANE-DLX? I am quite happy and content to stay right where I am at, but I also saw that my version will no longer be supported, is that correct? And is this lost of support in the form of my not having the ability to upload any new content I create to the DLS? Playing solo and creating your own routes is great but doing the same in a MP session would be the cherry on the cake. If this is true and I am unable to upload how will I be able to upload a MP route and all the necessary files.

Are both of the two new versions based on the same engine and codes as my version? Do either of the newer versions, TRS19 or TRS22, play MP games better or are they limited by the same need for all the files to be identical? Would this perhaps be the reason why I do not see a lot of post from TRS19 players asking for drivers to drive trains on a particular route on a recurring day at the same start hour because most people have modified too many files by now, or are most MP games on TRS19 private?

If the problems for MP is as stated with the need for identical files, then the best way to solve that would be to have a separated hard-drive with your Trainz version on it dedicated solo for MP games, with it's own separate data base. Another hard-drive with the game is where you would tinker, modify and change files with its own separated data base. Thus, this could created a niche job of being a file manager and setting up of hard-drives for others, with hard-drives being mailed back and forth. Or would this be frown upon?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You can contine to use TANE past the support date. When creating content, currently TANE still supports this as well as older TS12. As long as your build 3.5 (TS12) or higher. So TANE and TMR17 are in also.

MP has been updated for TRS19/TRS22, so if you want that, that may be the way to go. Remember that when you create something in a newer version, you can not use it in an older version.

As far as going to TRS19/TRS22, look into a better performing rig before jumping in. IMO, hope this helps with your decision.

Back