Kuji Rail sim release date Friday 5th October 2007

the downloadmanager tells me it will be available in 46 days and 2 hours... .

We will see... .

:hehe: Mine says now 6 days 5 hours and counting down or up, who knows?

Is EA pulling their customers' legs or some kind of October's Fool tricky joke?

:hehe: let's take it on the lighter side (of the moon).

Alberte :wave:

Chaps -

I think it would be a mistake to write-off Rail Simulator just yet. Let's not forget that its predecessor still commands a massive following. Although it may appear to be nothing more than an enhanced version of MSTS, that fact alone is certain to appeal to lots and lots of people. They can't all be wrong!

Let's wait and see if Kuju are smart enough to throw the community a few bones in the way of content creation tools etc. That's what would appeal to me.

:)

Perch

Alberte, where did you see the 6 days notice? When I go to the link you gave before, all I see is the Auran website.

The link to the EA store is this ;): http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/DisplayHomePagehttp://eastore.ea.com/

I can see those 6 days 3 hours inside the EA Download Manager software window, which is provided by EA to download their stuff, and that is acting as a donkey! :confused:

ea_download_manager.jpg

Alberte :wave:

Last edited:
Thanks Alberte, I must be blind, however. When I do a search for RAIL it comes up with nothing. Could it be because it is the US EA store and it has not been released in the US yet?

Okay, got a peek at Rail Simulator today. Some nice things, some not. First, don't base your opinion on the "review" of people who're running it without benefit of things like an instruction manual, as many things they say are just plain wrong. Switching junctions from the cab (or any other view mode) is as simple as hitting the "G" key. Likewise, many other "cons" are because the person posting either doesn't have a manual, or didn't bother to read it. Heck, they could have found most keyboard commands simply by clicking on the "Driving Instructions" icon at the bottom of the screen.

As I mentioned, some things are good. Wheels turn. I remember one particular Australian train simulator that was released without animated bogies throughout several incarnations of the product, spanning several years.

Passengers are visible inside cars (though for some reason, they're not the same passengers that appear on the platforms). None of the passengers look like hookers (of course, I've only noticed 3 different female platform passengers, and the guys didn't look like there were many more variations of them). Again, I recall a certain Australian train simulator that released a "passenger edition" that didn't even include passengers for over 6 months after it went on sale, so while not amazing, it's a start. They wander onto the platforms, and even stagger slightly once in position. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, so I'll list it as "different".

Cabs seem very much like the 3D cabs we're used to in Trainz. Wipers can be turned on or off, but like in Trainz, there's no real point to it. On the Intercity, the sunscreen can be flipped down into position, but I didn't notice any sun glare so fierce that you'd need it. The weather (and clouds in general) seemed to streak by awfully fast, I didn't run into any rain on my short sojurn, so I can't say how it behaved, but let's not forget Trainz own "acid rain" that cuts through everything, whose behavior hasn't changed at all in the entire history of the franchise.

Water (ie., streams) looked nice, BUT... from what I saw and in their demo, it looks like streams can be placed as a spline, however I haven't seen any way to vary the width of the water, and I've never seen any waterway other than a canal where the width doesn't vary. Nice looking, but not awfully realistic. I haven't played with the editor, so I don't know if more than one type of water can exist on a route at once (or even if they give you more than one type of water).

Trees and brush, lots of it, but it wasn't really impressive (I guess they don't have David Drake making the stuff for them). Ground textures seemed about on par with those on Auran's routes. Draw distances seemed very good (at least on my machine using their default settings), much better than Trainz early "fog of war", and probably on a par or better than with current Trainz versions.

Things did seem to have a lot of jaggies. I don't know if it wasn't using AA settings from the video card, or if it was because I've gotten used to a higher resolution on Trainz, and I was running RS at 1024x768. I'll have to try it again with the resolution pumped up.

Load times were horrible. Even after using the "free play" mode, reloading the same map to start again (say, after a derailment) took at least a minute, and that's on a fairly high end machine with 2 GB ram and fast drives. Of course, early Trainz load times weren't any better, and didn't get really good until TRS2006. Obviously these folks haven't had as much experience in this area, and it shows.

Obviously, there were a lot of things I haven't looked at yet, and those that I did were no more than cursory glances. Counting bugs is rather pointless, especially when our own motto seems to be "but just wait until the service pack comes out". Seeing how fast any bugs are addressed is the real issue. At this point, it's no reason to run out and dump Trainz. There obviously isn't thousands of 3rd party items available (or even the link promised in the documentation on the Rail Simulator website to get info about it). Let's remember, most of the really neat stuff you can do with Trainz wasn't written by Auran, but by 3rd parties. It's a lot more user friendly and useable than MSTS was when it came out (heck, just running without crashing pretty much earned it accolades on that score). Would someone interested in trains be interested in it? Sure, it doesn't flat-out suck, and you probably get more for your money than you do with Trainz Classic. Would I recommend it over TRS2006? Not a chance. Is it something to keep an eye on? You bet. Nothing groundbreaking, but a nice reminder to Auran that they can't sit on their duffs forever dishing out the same old soup in fancy new cans...

A well-balanced review, ML. Thank you. Still waiting for the joking devilish EA Download Manager to get it and see. :eek: :sleep:

Take care,

Alberte ;)

Have you see the "FREE CAMERA" in this video:
http://www.uktrainsim.com/jw_flv_player/freeroam.html

For me it is a "FREE CAMERA" the same as in Trainz.

3.11 - 3.14
4.07 - 4.42
5.10 - 5.16
6.15 - 6.33
7.14 - 7.20
8.07 - End

I have the video on my HD: 61,2 MB.
It was not easy to become that, but we have internet and Yahoo :D

EA-Download is for me the same with music downloads from shops.
You become a file, you can only start the game with EA-Downloadmanager.

I have not found anything to save the game on DVD. I found nothing do re-install the game after reinstall windows.

I think you become a new licence from EA after reinstall. That is the same with music downloads from music-shops.

I will not go this way - I buy it on DVD.

Last edited:
Bit tricky the water spline especially when interested in narrow boats and canals;) precar age.

Although would be easy enough to make flat water sheets to any size or shape perhaps with animated textures although don't know if boats would move through them.

Maybe if a bit of invisible track can be found some day and maybe the pre-car age (includes trains and horse transport) can be discovered again.
;)
Barry

P.S. lot of maybes but there again, narrow gauge, mining, early steam etc so anybody's guess, "old" trams of course (boneshakers)? See if it is in Liverpool (UK) today.
www.barrywright.clara.net

Last edited:
I have to correct the Magicland review, in Rail Simulator it's raining inside the cab and also inside tunnels.

When the sky is very dark, you should have heavy rain and not light rain like in the sim.

The platformpassengers are behaving somewhat like superman, they can float and walk in the air.

Jan.

Hi,

Well tryed this sim for 2 days now and its not as bad but for 45 euro's you expect a product that is not as full of bugs as this sim has now. Also i tryed to use the editor. But i cant say alot about that because it was very difficult for me to build something with the editor. But i think thats because i,m not used to afther all these years with trainz now. But 1 thing i miss in this editor and thats a review of what you place on your tile. Imagine when alot of assets will be build, how do you find these in that sim?
-Also making a full stop with a train is also wrong. Even with an emergency stop the train stops like you have only 0.5 bar out of your trainpipe.
-On the German route you have aws protection but thats UK
-The signaling is compleet strange. After crossing a green signal i dont expect a red one but in this sim that is possible. I tryed the Oxford route but not one yellow light is showing there. You go from green to red.
-No timetable and that point is the most annoying. See if you release a racesim and the time or distance doesnt matter for a race.
-Well Magicland told about the sunprotection etc. Well i can tell you that in the Add-ons from BSI for Trainz this is also done and alot more
-The F3 button comes up with a screen that is very strange. You cant adjust this menu screen.
-When you build something with the editor you must save when leaving(no options for not saving)and also you cant delete the map you build.
But the great thing about this sim is the speed. Very little stutters sometimes(not annoying)all with full GFX settings under XP. When this sim will be patched and the third party community can make things for this sim(hope the code let them do) then this sim can have a future. But out of the box it doesnt impress me at all.
Remember what EA always say: Its in the game(do they mean tons of bugs?)

Greetz laika:wave:

Last edited:
The physics of the HST seemed reasonably good but the QA seems to have gone seriously amiss in other areas, signalling being the main one. I've already put a mini review over on UKTS so won't repeat here but I have to concur early indications are it's not the new Grail of train sims that we had hoped.

Still it's early days and if the developer gets stuck in, sorts out the flaws and bugs and get the proper tools out instead of sitting on them there may be some hope for it.

Have you see the "FREE CAMERA" in this video:
http://www.uktrainsim.com/jw_flv_player/freeroam.html

For me it is a "FREE CAMERA" the same as in Trainz.

3.11 - 3.14
4.07 - 4.42
5.10 - 5.16
6.15 - 6.33
7.14 - 7.20
8.07 - End

I have the video on my HD: 61,2 MB.
It was not easy to become that, but we have internet and Yahoo :D

EA-Download is for me the same with music downloads from shops.
You become a file, you can only start the game with EA-Downloadmanager.

I have not found anything to save the game on DVD. I found nothing do re-install the game after reinstall windows.

I think you become a new licence from EA after reinstall. That is the same with music downloads from music-shops.

I will not go this way - I buy it on DVD.
the free-roam....so...versatile.....:eek:

*Gets a million and one video ideas using KRS*

What? I make videos. All I need is for the trains to run right and the cameras to move correctly.;)

Which one?

I lost my Trainz 2006 disk and am thinking about getting back into train sims. What do you recommend - buy the original Trainz 2006 again, is there a different version of it which is better?, wait for Rail Simulator, wait for MSTS 2 or any other option? Which is the best Train Simulator out in the market?
I would very much appreciate your opinion.

Bernd

I lost my Trainz 2006 disk and am thinking about getting back into train sims. What do you recommend - buy the original Trainz 2006 again, is there a different version of it which is better?, wait for Rail Simulator, wait for MSTS 2 or any other option? Which is the best Train Simulator out in the market?
I would very much appreciate your opinion.

Bernd

Go mad and buy both TRS2006 and TC. You need the built-in content that comes with TRS2006 but TC is the best there is at the moment. The American version of TC when its released is rumoured to include the TRS2006 content.

Cheerio John

Go mad and buy both TRS2006 and TC. You need the built-in content that comes with TRS2006 but TC is the best there is at the moment. The American version of TC when its released is rumoured to include the TRS2006 content.

Cheerio John

No rumour, fact. TRS2006 and TC 1&2 for under $20 US. Obviously, waiting for the US version and getting that is the way to go, even if you have to pay shipping to another country.

I have to correct the Magicland review, in Rail Simulator it's raining inside the cab and also inside tunnels.

When the sky is very dark, you should have heavy rain and not light rain like in the sim.

The platformpassengers are behaving somewhat like superman, they can float and walk in the air.

Jan.

Perhaps you meant "add to the Magicland review" and not "correct"? I did say it hadn't rained while I was running RS, so I had no idea what the behavior was. Obviously, raining in the cab is unacceptable, but then, raining in the tunnels also isn't acceptable, and Trainz still does that.

Decided will forget Railsim for maybe a later date, when stable, and plug-in for Blender and srtm2 satellite data as forecast, also other factors regarding user-friendly scenery making, etc.

So will get a new copy of 2004, and continue with old canals, horse drawn transport, old docks etc, as before. See download station. for 2004. Barry.

Maybe expand my Blender tutorials as I can import from Blender into gmax for static items.
www.barrywright.clara.net

Regarding interests UK old steam. narrow gauge prototypical mining and old ports etc.
Have Trainz Classics and will consider any relevant editions.
Next version 3 Settle seems OK for steam?

Barry

Back