AnnouncingTrainz™ Simulator 2009 & Trainz™ Simulator X

Trainz Simulator X

What is the difference between it and RS-2009 ?

O t t o

P.S.: Phil Skene has recommended RS-2009 and my next question is where can I can buy it's DVD and get the latest version which already includes the SR-2 patch ? Amazon-UK selling it for £ 7 I think is an older pack.

Anything else I should buy ?

Last edited:
I have TRS 2009 and and am thinking about getting EE 2010.
I am also about to install Windows 7.
Will Trainz run OK on this new system?

John Baker

I dunno, my head is swimming with versions already. It's starting to feel like Windows Vista and 7 with the different version announcements that I have gotten in the email over the past year or so.

I'm often left wondering if I have the latest and greatest product or Auran stuffed something else in somewhere that leaves me with a product that is not the latest and greatest. I don't suppose I'd be buying anything else until I figure out what it is that I actually own and what the difference is between what I own and (*all*) the rest of the Trainz family of games/simulations is actually being sold.

If you continually wait for the "latest and greatest" version, you'll wait forever. Trainz is an evolving product and new releases appear all the time, just like Windows, Office, and up until recently Flight Simulator.

You're not forced to buy it - if you don't want it, don't make a purchase.

Basic Economics

I dunno, my head is swimming with versions already. It's starting to feel like Windows Vista and 7 with the different version announcements that I have gotten in the email over the past year or so.

I'm often left wondering if I have the latest and greatest product or Auran stuffed something else in somewhere that leaves me with a product that is not the latest and greatest. I don't suppose I'd be buying anything else until I figure out what it is that I actually own and what the difference is between what I own and (*all*) the rest of the Trainz family of games/simulations is actually being sold.

Really its not a problem :hehe:
You upgrade because you see a screen shot or see how well a new version does something better than the version you have. Or perhaps you keep getting told that steamer you want so badly is out there, but it requires a newer version. If that has not happened yet, you don't need to outlay your money.
However this is the important bit :( Auran have a large building and employs a bunch of people. They produce the upgrades and improve the game. They also run the Downloads area, which is free if you are happy with download limits and slow speeds.
They need to have cash to survive, and we need to hand that cash over at least once a year or they cannot survive, and we will be reduced to something like MS did to MSTS. However only if Train Sim.Com decides to pick up our Download Station, which would dissipate with Auran :confused:

So AU$ 40 a year is a pretty cheap way to keep Auran going, No?
Cheers
Rod

However this is the important bit :( Auran have a large building and employs a bunch of people.
:hehe:...the uninformed say the darnedest things...:hehe:

I don't suppose I'd be buying anything else until I figure out what it is that I actually own and what the difference is between what I own and (*all*) the rest of the Trainz family of games/simulations is actually being sold.
I find not being able to figure out what you own a bit of a stretch, but the information you seek about differences between versions is available from Auran's website and on this forum....

Well Sourdough
I guess you know what has happened since 2002 when I did visit the Auran Offices. I have no idea where they are now, and I doubt if Auran really thought it was necessary to send a special email to me when they collapsed a year or two back and had to find another location.
And I suspect the stupid bean counters at Auran could have wasted some of those "furious" millions on Trainz and got a much better return.
I suspect that you are trying to say the new lean, mean Trainz team lost their nice offices during the collapse? So what? The important thing is Trainz survived because those same bean counters saw that it could produce enough revenue to survive the other problems.

But you seem to have picked a location problem out of my message to ridicule, whilst belittling the main bit... what's left only survives if the money keeps coming in.
Thanks for nothing ;)
Cheers
Rod

Last edited:
So AU$ 40 a year is a pretty cheap way to keep Auran going, No?

Rod, I could not agree more with you.

I have been with Auran since the start and I love it.
I have no problem supporting Auran as this gives me more joy than what I could expect from AU$ 40 a year.

I have other hobies that cost me fare more than this, and I can even take it with me around the world when I´m on my business trips to the fare east.
:wave: :D

I love it, even if I do not always like the changes.

Auran Keep up the good work.

I'm planning on installing an older version of Trainz. Trainz 2006. Will I still be able to use all the downloads ie: engines, freight cars, routes etc. ?
I'm new to rail sims. Found this copy in my old sim collection.

Anything made for TRS2006 or older will work. If the Trainz-build number of a downloaded asset is greater than 2.6 it might have problems. This is especially true for those assets that have a script (.gs or .gse) file.

Bob

Trainz 2009

Hi all, I have spent a long time reading through this thread, and tend to agree with most all you say. I hope this time everything will be A1,and Auran come up with a winner, because i would like to import either, TS 2009 or, Settle Carlisle, anyone have a recommendation?. At the moment, I use TS2004/06 in Rasorback Railway mode, as I find this is a very good site, and easy to use, plus the annual subs are only 15$A. I would like to us more Trainz content, but like quite a few of you, I dont find it easy to get about, especially Downloading/Information/Instructions. I admit this is probably down to me not taking more time reading up on the subject.
I would like to conclude by wishing everyone here A Happy New Year and all success to Auran trainz for the future.:D

Trains 2010 does anybody mention this?

happy new year but what is the story about the ms trains?
Hi all, I have spent a long time reading through this thread, and tend to agree with most all you say. I hope this time everything will be A1,and Auran come up with a winner, because i would like to import either, TS 2009 or, Settle Carlisle, anyone have a recommendation?. At the moment, I use TS2004/06 in Rasorback Railway mode, as I find this is a very good site, and easy to use, plus the annual subs are only 15$A. I would like to us more Trainz content, but like quite a few of you, I dont find it easy to get about, especially Downloading/Information/Instructions. I admit this is probably down to me not taking more time reading up on the subject.
I would like to conclude by wishing everyone here A Happy New Year and all success to Auran trainz for the future.:D

What is the difference between it and RS-2009 ?

O t t o

P.S.: Phil Skene has recommended RS-2009 and my next question is where can I can buy it's DVD and get the latest version which already includes the SR-2 patch ? Amazon-UK selling it for £ 7 I think is an older pack.

Anything else I should buy ?

Otto! It's quite a nice surprise to see you here. You are a prominent and well-respected member in the MSTS community and it's an honor to have you here too. Now that Trainz 2010 has been release, I suggest you forget 09 and go for that. Digital Download version is ~29 pounds, filesize a tad above 5GB. SP1 for that is also out.

Good luck.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Still waiting for 2009 content promised

So Auran announced TS2010, Last I recalled they never delivered on content for TS2009. I wouldn't recommend anyone purchasing TS2010, it seems to me Auran pumps out new version of TrainZ every year when they never delivered on past versions, you guys are relying to much on user content and need to actually do some work on your simulators and deliver on your past promises before you ask your loyal customers to shell out more money on the same simulator.

Disatisfied customer.

Back