Is there a way to fix those pesky junction overlays that pop up?

JonMyrlennBailey

Even while the mouse is parked off the screen on the right, the overlays will pop
up when the camera angle is low and the camera is near the junction. I would
like my overlays to please stay out of site unless I hover the mouse there or
select show junction overlays.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there isn't and has been one of the complaints since that occurred in TS12 H4. It's really annoying to see red and green arrows flash as the trains traverse the junctions in a larger terminal or yard.

Unfortunately, there isn't and has been one of the complaints since that occurred in TS12 H4. It's really annoying to see red and green arrows flash as the trains traverse the junctions in a larger terminal or yard.

Or, I have to have the camera higher off the ground in Chase to prevent these stupid things from appearing at switches. I'm not sure if this also occurs in TANE or later. Another thing I long for is to have views flip between lineside and in-cab instead of between lineside and chase or at least have an option to select this.

Another disturbing thing is camera views and AI. AI will not drive a schedule reliably in in-cab view IF it has to back up or reverse direction of the train. The train might go forward instead of backing up as it should and vice-versa while driving with in-cab view. Putting the camera in the cab throws AI for a knuckleball here. One must have a non-cab view in order to not have issues with train direction. Trains have to switch directions while switching. If the train only goes forward over a given schedule, then I can have in-cab view without any driving error.

Last edited:
Or, I have to have the camera higher off the ground in Chase to prevent these stupid things from appearing at switches. I'm not sure if this also occurs in TANE or later. Another thing I long for is to have views flip between lineside and in-cab instead of between lineside and chase or at least have an option to select this.

Another disturbing thing is camera views and AI. AI will not drive a schedule reliably in in-cab view IF it has to back up or reverse direction of the train. The train might go forward instead of backing up as it should and vice-versa while driving with in-cab view. Putting the camera in the cab throws AI for a knuckleball here. One must have a non-cab view in order to not have issues with train direction. Trains have to switch directions while switching. If the train only goes forward over a given schedule, then I can have in-cab view without any driving error.

TANE and up too. Moving, the camera solves that, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Switching directions is annoying as well because it doesn't sync up with the camera externally. This was never an issue until HF4 when signals also became active only when locomotives are forward-facing. This makes switching from the cab impossible and also driving while facing the "wrong" way internally in the cab because the signals go red.

I reported this as a bug way back when I first encountered it, and there was no acknowledgement of the problem or an attempt to fix it. I may report this again as a long-time bug and see what kind of response I get from the QA team.

TANE and up too. Moving, the camera solves that, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Switching directions is annoying as well because it doesn't sync up with the camera externally. This was never an issue until HF4 when signals also became active only when locomotives are forward-facing. This makes switching from the cab impossible and also driving while facing the "wrong" way internally in the cab because the signals go red.

I reported this as a bug way back when I first encountered it, and there was no acknowledgement of the problem or an attempt to fix it. I may report this again as a long-time bug and see what kind of response I get from the QA team.

One strategy I just thought of is to always have a lineside camera set near each and every junction but not too close to or low next to them. Place the camera about 150+ feet back back from the junction or at a higher angle if closer to a lever. This ensures that while driving in lineside views, those damn red/green arrows won't flash.

That would probably overload the simulation and probably wouldn't work right, besides being horrible to setup.

That would probably overload the simulation and probably wouldn't work right, besides being horrible to setup.

Actually, ONE camera can cover a whole bunch of junctions close together as at the end of the yard. I should have said to have each and every junction covered by at least one camera. The point of these cameras is to prevent red/green arrows from showing up while in lineside mode driving. This is to prevent Chase mode default while driving by a lever. In any areas that are not covered by lineside cameras, the view will default to chase. I like low chase angles so as long as higher-angle lineside cameras are covering the junctions, their setting indicators should not flash. I had way to many cameras on my layout anyway. I just revamped my camera set up and thinned them out a bit. Camera effects will be crappy if cameras are spaced at intervals too close. I'm now going to do a test drive to see if I like camera effects any better.

While driving or roaming a session in Hide Junction Overlays, five things can trigger them pop up;

1. Show Junction Overlays
2. a lineside camera too low and/or too close to a lever
3. a chase camera too low and/or too close to a lever
4. a free-roaming camera too low and/or too close to a lever
5. a hovered mouse over a lever

Last edited:
Back