Guildford to Woking

G'day Ziod99,

I'm pleased all is well. Enjoy! I'm off to bed (it's 01:15 here and heaven knows, I need my beauty sleep - boy, do I need it...)

Jerker {:)}

Last edited:
I've hit a problem. After i had saved what i had done, clossed trainz down and when i came back it bought up an error message when the route had loaded. The terrain had adjusted itself and trainz freezes. Every time that i go to load the route it brings this error message up.
errorec9.png

I have no idea what do to :confused:

Tom

Nope still brings up the same error. Luckily before i started working on the layout i created a new save so i had just the plain DEM map. I might aswell start work again.

Thanks for you help

Tom

I finally sorted that problem out. The route is just through guildford station and is up to the junction where the lines split. Getting the gradients right or nearly right i am finding hard. The screenshots will help me explain.

Ok if you where going out of guildford towards woking it is a 1 in 550. So i find the point where it starts going 'up hill' and go to the gradient profile tool and type in 1.550. Then click on the track to apply the profile.
gr1eu7.jpg

The pic below is the result. I know that is no way a 1 in 550. when i select the track it says its only 1 in 55. So i tried 1 in 551 nope still 1.55. Is there a way to get round this? :confused:
gr2sx7.jpg

Thanks
Tom

The Surveyor manual says "The value 2 means 2% or 1 in 50." So I think you need to put in 0.182 (i.e. 1 divided by 550 as a percentage).

HTH, John

Back to school Maths. Divide 1 by the number then multiply by 100 to get the percentage. So for 1 in 550...

1 / 550 = 0.001818
* 100 = 0.18% This is the value you enter in the gradient tool.

Cheers
Dave

G'day Zoid99,

Tom, you should also keep in mind the nature of the way Trainz applies those gradients to the track sections involved. Firstly, in order for the gradient to take effect, it must be applied with a click to the track very close to the end of the track section, near to the 'spline' point' (although it appears you may already be aware of this). If you enter a positive value for the gradient, the gradient will be applied "uphill" from the end of the section that is clicked (the opposite end of the track section will be raised an appropriate amount depending upon the value). If a negative value is entered, the same section of track clicked at the same 'spline point' will run 'downhill' to the other end (that end will be lower). The opposite applies if that same track section is selected from the other end with the same value entered in the gradient tool text box)!

so to make a gradient go 'up hill' i need to start at the opposite end of where the gradient should start and work backwards?

Tom

Setting gradients

It doesn't matter whether you start at the top or the bottom but, once started, keep going in one direction.

Presumably you have a spline height fixed at the top (let's say t in metres) and at the bottom (b in metres). Count the number of baseboard squares between the bottom and top of your section of track to be graded. Subtract b from t, multiply by 10 and divide by the number of squares. Use the answer as the gradient to type into the set gradient box. Apply that spline by spline from the bottom upwards. Or multiply that number by -1 and apply it downwards.

So, if the top height were 6, the bottom 4 and there were 25 squares between you would need a value of (6-4)*10/25 = 0.8

Don't set the gradient on the last bit - ie between the penultimate spline point and the top or the bottom spline point. Instead measure the gradient that has resulted on that section. If you don't like it, change your applied gradient and redo the whole grade again.

The gradient in that last piece, top or bottom, should ideally be shallower than for the main part and certainly no steeper.

G'day Ziod99 & laldfordo,

In a sense, it doesn't matter but if you start at the 'uphill' (high) end, you must enter negative values. I find it easiest to start at the bottom of the grade, enter positive values and keep going that way (always running in the same direction). If the grade changes, that is, becomes negative, keep going in the same direction, just enter negative numbers (that's tricky bit, remembering to change the 'sign' of the value)...

Tom, the advice that laldfordo has given you in the previous post applies where there is a constant grade between two rather distant points and the method works well but I know you are working to a gradient profile, so that process does not apply in your case.

Last edited:
Please mid hants

Could you(Zoid99) please upload to the download station your mid-hants railway as i am a great fan of the railway and know it well. I dont mind if it isnt finished and you could just call it Mid-hants railway part 1 and then finish it off and upload the whole thing if you could do this i would be eternally grateful

Ok when i get some free time, at the moment i'm studying quite a bit, but its half term next week so i'll upload it then. An overview of the route, alton is about 10% done, line runes all the way to alsford, medstead and 4marks is complete, so is ropley but i want to redo it at some point and alsford is not complete. There is some textureing done but not much.

Thanks
Tom

G'day Zoid99,

Tom, I am somewhat intrigued. The images above show you have laid your main lines up to what appears to be Guildford (and you indicate this in your text) but I wonder if the heights are correct? Does Guildford exist inside what appears to be a 40' cutting? I ask, because I do not recall seeing any indications of cuttings or embankments at that location on the OS map.

I used google earth to get the base height. One side of the station is in a cutting and so was the round house before a it was pulled down and a car park built over it. The other side isn't and just from memory it goes into a cutting for a little bit as it gets to the footbrigde at the university.
To me who lives in giuldford and uses the station alot it seems right, but i will check the levels.

Thanks
Tom

G'day Zoid99,

Tom, do not go out of your way to please me. It was but a minor point and if it all looks fine to you, then I am happy. After all, you are THE one who must make sure it is right FOR YOU! Continue with the excellent work. I look forward to seeing a superb layout/route come to fruition.

proccess is slow on the route and at the momment i'm in a strop with trainz :mad: . The program decided to crash 100% so i bck up the files etc and once i reinstalled trainz and all the content, when i go to load the route it brings up error no map selected. So my only option is to re-start the route. It won't take lo ng to get to yer i was but i need to find the time to.

Tom

Back