new route and object update issue

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
In anticipation of an upcoming trip, I decided to create a new route from Hiroshima to Okayama along the Shinkansen line that runs between those two cities. Hauled out my trusty TransDEM and after getting some DEM, I plugged everything in and out popped a new map with textures to guide the design and hills to navigate.

Since the line is mostly elevated, I created a new viaduct to carry the track over the landscape. A quick detour via GMax and it was done.

Next, I had an old track that would be nice for the highspeed trains so another detour to clean it up a bit and remove some LOD markers that helped in the original creation. But when I imported the modified version into Content Manager, the old version was still showing in Surveyor. Closed the route and re-opened it.

That solved the issue BUT is there an easier way to see the modified object in Surveyor? The route file is over 2000MB and takes a while to open and close.

Hi Martin,

You have two ways to see your newly revised object :
- in CM, right-hand mouse click on the object -> Open -> Preview Asset,
- in TrainZ, surveyor, create a blank new map with only this track and save it under the name of your choice (track test) .

Excuse-me, if you allready know this (you're a veteran in TrainZ after all) : perhaps I have not exactly understood your problem ...

Cheers,

Philippe

No need to apologize, sometimes old veterans have senior moments too.

Since Trainz can't open more than one route at a time, creating a blank new map just have the modified track show correctly would still require me to save and close the BIG route - same long process time.
As for using the preview asset process, I didn't know that that would clear the cache too. Will have to give it a try the next time I have that issue.

No need to apologize, sometimes old veterans have senior moments too.

Since Trainz can't open more than one route at a time, creating a blank new map just have the modified track show correctly would still require me to save and close the BIG route - same long process time.
As for using the preview asset process, I didn't know that that would clear the cache too. Will have to give it a try the next time I have that issue.
Trainz will allow two routes at the same time. Open your large route then in the top left select Show Launch window. Then select Start Trainz and a route. I have done it many times to find missing assets from another route.

Assets will not change once placed in surveyor unless you delete and replace the same asset. You could try bulk asset replace with a different track and then bulk asset replace back to the track you used. This should update the asset.

Last edited:
Two at the same time, hmmm, did not know that nor did I think it would be possible. Had a look in Task Manager with just TRS22PE open and it uses 1.4 GB. After opening my new route that jumps to 6 GB. Opening a new blank route only pushes that to 6.1 GB so not the end of the world and a good thing to know.
Thanks for the tip.

PS: I opened a second instance of Trainz from the Launcher, keeping the first instance with the large map open, and created a new test route. Modifications to an object after it was imported the first time were not showing, the same object original was constantly being placed no matter how many times I deleted it in Content manager and re-imported it. Once I closed the large map and ended that instance, the new object appeared correctly.

Last edited:
Back