GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

She's basically done other than a few small details, and fully decked out cab.

758bfb75c1cbb69d7f779b02dc01b45b.jpg

Rock On!
~Dusten

To be quite honest. I have no damn idea why I have cranked this thing out so quickly, compared to my own personal projects.

Hopefully I can start on my stuff and crank it out like a squirrel on crack, like I've done this engine.

Rock On!
~Dusten

A question if I may. Does anyone else think that currently, wheels are very low-poly? You can see clear segments in the circumference of the wheel.
I think that larger wheels, like the ones found on Steam engines could really do with at least double the amount of polygons compared to small wheels.
I realise that each piece of rolling stock has multiple wheels and the amount of added geometry will add many polygons very quickly but I think it's a small price to pay in exchange for better looking models.

A question if I may. Does anyone else think that currently, wheels are very low-poly? You can see clear segments in the circumference of the wheel.
I think that larger wheels, like the ones found on Steam engines could really do with at least double the amount of polygons compared to small wheels.
I realise that each piece of rolling stock has multiple wheels and the amount of added geometry will add many polygons very quickly but I think it's a small price to pay in exchange for better looking models.

I typically use 36 or so on my steam engine drive wheels, and maybe 24 for pilot wheels, trailing wheels and rolling stock wheels. I tend to splurge on larger items, and then on smaller pipes and hand rails, I go with 6 or 8.

In older games, it was easier to optimize poly counts since the games just weren't what they are now. The ability to easily get up close and personal pretty much demands more detail for up close viewing. Not to mention the almost unlimited resizable window of T:ANE.

22f398dc06fe39921873eff2e562e727.jpg

Mr. Lerro, if I may ask a question. The 1630, as a Russian decapod, would (I assume) be extremely similar to the other Russian decapods both in the US and in Russia. Have you considered making versions for other US roads that had them and possibly even some of the Russian ones?

-Ben

Thank you for your answer. 36 looks good, a can barely tell the segments from this distance. What was the recommended TANE polygons limit for rolling stock again?
Looking at some creation from other artists, it seems like they either are nowhere near the limit or the limit itself is not enough to allow creation of assets compared to other simulators...
Of course, that doesn't mean the creators themselves are doing something wrong, in fact it's the oposite. Creating both good looking and good performing content is an art, especially when you have a narrow polygon margin to work with.

Mr. Lerro, if I may ask a question. The 1630, as a Russian decapod, would (I assume) be extremely similar to the other Russian decapods both in the US and in Russia. Have you considered making versions for other US roads that had them and possibly even some of the Russian ones?

-Ben

For example, 1630 was built in the same group as the WM locomotives ;)

I was unaware of 0-6-0.

In the mean time, I have a main line thoroughbred for passenger trains. I plan on making it top of the line.

059a4b112f3e0c38ee0306aa4e7bded8.jpg

Rock On!
~Dusten

Back