GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Testing new car and new window making, I did not like what my dome cars look like in TANE.

2015-07-06%20115655_zpsxkj782ly.jpg

[...]using the mapping of the selected object. As such, any overlap will be baked to the same spot on the texture.

That is why it is useful to create the final mapping via Unwrap Only. The original wrapping is not changed during texture baking (render to file only).
And it is a good idea to make a copy of your final mesh, set it to hidden, procced with baking (save the *.uvw!) an assign the baked material to the copy with the saved uvw file.

[...]you need to avoid mixing textures/materials. Personally, on everything I make, I attach together all meshes of a single texture.

Not necessary if you use Multi Material and assign the different materials to the specified polygons via material ID. One object can have different materials on it.

It isn't a 'click and go' process, there is a bit involved. But a good baked texture can make a model IMO.

Definitely not! But the result pays off.

[...]I personally prefer the Ambient Occlusion bake over others, but it can be quite slow.[...]

I too, but the possibilities are countless and whatever method one uses, the final touch always is done within Photoshop or equivalent programs. Sometimes my texture source has fifty or more layers...

Mick!

P.S.: @Dave
This is the point in a life of a CC were you will find out that the amount of time used for creating the mesh and the final texturing change drastically towards the texturing process, but you will be rewarded by much better looking assets :)

Last edited:
Now as part of my Queensland Railways NG C17 project; it required a new tender bogie - this version depicted is the plain bearing model, following this should be the rolling bearing version used on post 1935 to 1953 tenders. As there was a serious lack of good quality bogies that matched my tenders; Greg Cashes model is outdated to TANE standards. So here is what I whipped up in a few days in 3ds max.
QR%20NG%20Plain%20Bearing%20Tender%20Bogie_zpshgkdilfd.png

With Regards,

M.Gitsham

Last edited:
Thank you Zeldaboy, as it indeed has taken alot of hard work; I built the bogie exactly to the specifications from the C.M.E Diagrams for the Q.R C17 dated 1921 with a lot of good photographs of the prototype; it is still a long way off as there is a few minor edits to the mesh to suit - The axleboxes amended and brakes will have to be added. What you see before you in the screenshot; is a mock up. Once finished, it shall go under my tenders for the C16, AC16, B17, C17, and B18 which are the plain bearing type from 1910 to 1934.

VERY Nice. That looks like it took a lot of hard work.

After noticing a terrible lack of high quality Queensland content I have stepped up to the job of creating a new standard! Most if not all will agree baking a model can mean the difference! I have started creating a QR WHE grain wagon for a bloke and I must say I am pretty happy.

RNTnKZJ.jpg

Now before some smart arse points out they had screw couplings and arch bar bogies I will add some got these later in life!

Last edited:
@Sman, not bad; a good quality WHE is needed but when they first came out, they were equipped with buffers for use on grain and wheat trains. I have used superscript to add and remove canvas tarp covers for my H, HJ, F, FF and FJ wagons. Your welcome to use the tarps and the script to suit the model as along as credit is given.

I am rather happy with this result of my QR NG Plain Bearing Tender Bogie; baked and textured in 3ds max. Brakes, axleboxes amended and covers added.

QR%20NG%20Plain%20Bearing%20Tender%20Bogie%20Final_zpsybthckay.png

Now to add the rivets and minor details. Then ready to be exported to be placed under my tenders.

Regards,

M.Gitsham

Last edited:
Mick, I can't find any menu that looks like this. I don't have any selection modes at the bottom of the UV editor page:

Sorry for all the trouble.

One more thing. After I get my new texture made, do I have to re-apply it to my building?

Dave

Last edited:
That's amazing! And it looks decent for polys, the good texture makes it look superdetailed.

hi, Guy's

Thank you for the kind words.
The Workboat has just under 6500 polygons and a RTTextur. (Render to Texture)
But I will distribute the UVW's again manually and re-render because Max because not flatten as well.
Please note the pictures shown (no fashion creators images) are not in Trainz but in Trainz the model looks exactly as I use a RTTextur. As light and shadow is already in texture.

g'ice

201507090000hlbvj81der.jpg

2015070900003x0bqjdmgi.jpg

201507090000gwsrpzv9m5.jpg

201507090000ga5erq7wi0.jpg

201507090000sxa8pbly4t.jpg

Back