Fatal Error Message

dzien50

Can anyone tell something about this message and where I need to look to fix it :

Read next() Failed to read block
No call stack available

Thanks
PJ

I have been getting those too. This is a very frustrating problem especially after you have been in a session for hours.

Hello

Is Trainz giving you fatal errors? fatal errors are caused by a number of things: Faulty content, Scripting errors, Software configuration or Faulty hardware, threads on Fatal Errors link here and also here.

Regards

Ahsan:)

Let me explain how I use trainz, I mostly use large layouts which have many industries. I can't run every possible train as it would take days, so I run it by selecting a sequence timetable, just using say 3/4 industries and running those til complete in exactly the same sequence each time. For example on Midwest Central I have 16 different sequence timetables to chose from.
The annoying thing is that the fatal error messages I get are random, I have run the same sequence timetable say 10 times and on the 11th the fatal error happens...why ? nothing has changed its been run exactly as before, the next time I run it its fine. It just does not make sense to me.
PJ

I don't know what I'm looking at ? but the jetlog says :

Jet VRRRRR.RR Buikd 1234.5. QQQQQ on Jan 14 2006 at 16:07:12

Log Disabled

Hope you can make sense of it !!!

PJ

Looks like you trainzoptions.txt file has the -nolog entry which would prevent the log file from being written. If this is in the trainzoptions.txt file, remove it and re-run the faulty route to see if you get any clues about the cause. If this doesn't apply, sorry:eek:

Bob

Thanks Bob, I will remove the nolog, but what will the jetlog tell me and what do I do with this info ?
PJ

There will be a lot of junk in the jetlog but the error messages just before the string of flushdownload messages at the end should provide info on what was causing the error.

Bob

Hello

If you post here the message at the end of your jetlog file here that will determine what is causing the problem.

Regards

Ahsan:)

Hi PJ,

Two questions.
Have you re-installed the program recently ?
Did you clean out the corresponding files from your Registry first ?

If any of the above is the case. When you un-install Trainz it always leaves entries in your registry.
If these are not removed, your new installation don't overwrite these and you end up with random errors (as you described) because your program is receiving conflicting info.
Cheers
Pete.

H Pete
Thanks for reply, yes about 2 months ago I uninstalled my non sp1 2006 with a new version from Auran which includes it. I didn't know anything about the registry ( and still don't or where to find it ) So based on this info what do you think I should do ?
Cheers
PJ

Those of us that had the original TRS2006 and had to uninstall/reinstall it then install SP1 soon discovered that if we didn't follow the instructions EXACTLY found all kinds of weird errors.

If you plan on reinstalling then I suggest that you first Windows to uninstall your TRS2006, then open Explorer, click on the Program Files folder and delete the Auran folder. This should provide a clean area for you to reinstall TRS2006.

Bob

Hi Bob
Yes I'm going to save to back up my " local " folder, then uninstall/reinstall, then reload the local back up file. I did not understand your bit about explorer, why would I want go online ?
Cheers
PJ

H Pete
Thanks for reply, yes about 2 months ago I uninstalled my non sp1 2006 with a new version from Auran which includes it. I didn't know anything about the registry ( and still don't or where to find it ) So based on this info what do you think I should do ?
Cheers
PJ

Hi PJ,
Normally I would use the 'REGEDIT' command (not shouting), but if you aren't sure about your registry I wouldn't go down that road.
But all's not lost, there is an excellent freeware program available on the web called :- 'TweakNow Reg Cleaner', sorry I haven't the link for it at the moment but a Google search will find it.
Simply run the program, it will scan your registry and give the results in three boxes.
  • Safe to Delete
  • Not safe to delete
  • Unknown.
Safe to delete :- are old files that you have deleted, but remain in your registry. As stated you can delete these.
Not safe to Delete :- Leave alone.
Unknown :- Normally unused registry entries, you can delete if you know what they are.

Trainz entries, several of them, will either be in your 'Safe to Delete' section or the 'Unknown' section, depending on your computer setup.

Delete these before re-installing Trainz.
I have used this program for years with no problem, I also have a Payware Reg Cleaner, but I find TweakNow easier and faster to use.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Pete.

Hi Pete
Thanks I will do the reinstall this evening and try the tweak website. My problem is I'm a computer donk, trainz is the only game I've ever played. I retired ( luckily at 40 ) and computers were not really standard to me, so agter turning it on my knowledge sort of stops !!! So I really appreciate your help.
Should I only back up ( save ) the local folder and can safely delete the rest ? I obviously have much work that I don't want to lose.
Cheers
PJ

Hi Ahsan
Its included with the 2006 version I bought from Auran, so I suppose it loads automatically with the rest of the stuff
What I want to know is it only the local folder I need to back up before I uninstall ?
Cheers
PJ

Hi Pete
Thanks I will do the reinstall this evening and try the tweak website. My problem is I'm a computer donk, trainz is the only game I've ever played. I retired ( luckily at 40 ) and computers were not really standard to me, so agter turning it on my knowledge sort of stops !!! So I really appreciate your help.
Should I only back up ( save ) the local folder and can safely delete the rest ? I obviously have much work that I don't want to lose.
Cheers
PJ

Hi PJ,
Yes and No,
If you can, back up your local folder (I assume your talking about Trainz) to a CD or DVD (depending on file sizes), or a memory stick if available. If anything unfortunate happens to your computer, a fatal virus for example, then your creations are safe.
If this isn't possible, no CD/DVD writer, right click any empty area on your desktop (Not on a File) select new and then folder, give your new folder a name and back up to that folder. To do this you can use the copy - paste method.
Left click on a blank space above the files you want to copy and drag the cursor over every file you want to save. This will highlight the files. Once highlighted release the left mouse button and right click anywhere in the highlighted area and select 'Copy'. Move the cursor to your new folder (You don't have to open it) right click and select 'Paste'. This will copy the selected files to your new folder.
If you know how, you can use the 'Drag and Drop' for the same results, this takes longer to explain and could lead to confusion if your not familiar with computers.
If you have a CD/DVD writer you can use the same method, except paste to your CD/DVD writer. Available in 'My Computer' which is normally a default icon on your desktop. Alternatively, if you have a CD/DVD burner program (such as Sonic') you can use that.

Don't go deleting files willy-nilly or you may delete a file needed by Windows, and its a lot of work getting it back.
If you are using Tweak' you can safely delete the 'Safe to Delete' folder and any entry regarding Trainz. AFTER you have carried out the above.
As I don't know the extent of your computer knowledge I apologize if I've covered area's already known to you.
If you require more help, I here at least once-a-day.
Cheers
Pete.

Last edited:
Back