TRS22.exe - System Error

mrjunction

If it rides on Rails....
Just upgraded late last night. Briefly ran a train west out of Denver. Did not seem much different to me than TRS19 and was pleased to be able to run trains again on "West from Denver". Today I saw an update was available. Downloaded and installed it, and was able to open TRS22 but trains did not respond. Next attempt to load I got the following message "The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140_ATOMIC_WAIT .dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem". I can no longer open TRS22, but if I remember correctly by build (pre-update) ended in 418. I do not see anyone else reporting this issue. Lucky Me! Any help as always is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Randy

Last edited:
Same problem for me too:
When applying the patch to move 122418 to SP3123801, everything was ruined:
Message at startup 2022 123801:

TR22.exe System Error
Code execution cannot continue because MSVCP140_ATOMIC_WAIT.dll was not found
This problem can be solved by reinstalling the program.

After deleting the program 3 times and trying to install it another 3 times, always the same error message, the game cannot be started.

I still had the previous installer 122418, I installed it without problems.

Conclusion: I do not plan to install updates, without there being a solution. I have wasted 3 hours of time installing and uninstalling.

You should never be one of the first to try new updates.

I do not plan on reinstalling at all. If there is not a simple fix, I will move onto something else. I bought TR17 Model Railroad when I retired. I thought that it would something relaxing to do. That worked rather well. Then 2019 came about and I went for it. That worked well for quite awhile until I had an update error and had to reinstall. The reinstallation for fine for some time, but then I started getting all kinds of weird things happening. Reinstalled again and most, but not all of the weird stuff quit. Then more weird stuff started. I tried going back to 2017, but was blocked out of it for some reason.

Along comes 2022 and once again I spent money hoping that things would be better. And they were until the last update that took away my way of laying track on a grade. I filed a support with the applicable people and was told that they were aware of the issue and that it would be fixed with the next upgrade. NOW, nothing works. NOTHING. This is no longer fun and relaxing. If this isn't an easy fix, time to move on and save my money.

And please don't suggest that it is my PC's fault. The ONLY thing that Windows 11 is used for is Trainz. EVERYTHING else is done from Linux, operating and living on its own hard drive.

After new update when opening a session, trainz crashes and close. A lot of different sessions.
You most likely attempted to run without letting the DBR run first. Unfortunately, there's a bug that prevents the progress bar from appearing so that the automatic closing of the Launcher after the patch and automatic DBR on restart doesn't work. This causes confusion.

Since you've crashed, you need to run a manual DBR. On the Launcher, click on Developer on the menu and then choose Rebuild database. The process may take a long time since this is a full database repair with the new version.

Just upgraded late last night. Briefly ran a train west out of Denver. Did not seem much different to me than TRS19 and was pleased to be able to run trains again on "West from Denver". Today I saw an update was available. Downloaded and installed it, and was able to open TRS22 but trains did not respond. Next attempt to load I got the following message "The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140_ATOMIC_WAIT .dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem". I can no longer open TRS22, but if I remember correctly by build (pre-update) ended in 418. I do not see anyone wlse reporting this issue. Lucky Me! Any help as always is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Randy
Are you also running yours through steam or did you purchase yours directly from Trainz portal?

The DLL must have the exact name: "msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll" and be copied in "C:\Windows\System32" and "C:\Windows\SysWOW64", not in TRS22 folder (it is different from "msvcp140.dll"). You may have to manually register it; if so follow this guide.

Last edited:
Sooo...... I did get TRS22 to finally load again. I Went to my original post, copied and pasted the dll to my Trainz 22 folder and it opened. I started Trainz, loaded "West from Denver" chose the "Local Westbound" and it loaded. I proceeded to leave the Yard with the 3 car local freight, and a couple of hundred yards down the track.....It froze up. Well at least it loads, but I think this update is buggered! I also wanted to mention that before hand I went into my TRS22 folder and found several files marked MSVCP140 dll. So I believe that spearfish's instructions are incorrect. I think it has to be the file with"_Atomic_WAIT" in it. Good Luck with this All, Randy

Would unistalling and reinstalling work to rectify this?
As stated earlier in this thread......"After deleting the program 3 times and trying to install it another 3 times, always the same error message, the game cannot be started", I doubt it. Follow my instructions two posts above.

"msvcp140.dll" (approx. 610KB) and "msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll" (approx. 50KB) are DIFFERENT libraries. See my post above on how to fix the issue.

The failure of: "MSVCP140_ATOMIC_WAIT.dll." does not have to be solved by a simple amateur manipulating files, it is a failure that N3V "programmers" have to solve.
As always, two steps forward and one step back.

shouldn't have to download an extra .dll (which could very well go poorly) just to make trainz work. clearly something went wrong on the devs' side
I agree. Unfortunately, since they are in Australia and it is the weekend, we won't even hear about anything until Monday. This really sucks.

Is there another train simulator that is close to this? I am tired of paying money for a program that doesn't work very often. All I want to do is make a layout and drive trains around. I don't need any AI. I don't care about loading or unloading anything.

surveyor is your best bet for making anything; railworks' and MSTS/openrails equivalents are clunky and terrible, TSW's routebuilding tools have yet to go live so i don't know how good they are. if you just want to drive stuff, railworks, openrails, run8, or derail valley are also available, but each one has their own drawbacks

trainz is cool when it works. it's worth waiting a few days for the devs to come back to the office IMO

Back