City Skylines, a new city simulator.

Hi Ishie! Hope your Marz community is thriving!

Hey, RR --

I just got back into trainz after taken a few months off -- Still working on that layout, which is the bread and better of Marsz! --- Taken forever!:hehe:
We are a small community, as you know, but it's cool like that -- It's why I keep it at the Blog! I leave the traditional stuff on Earth for the mass audience! :wave:

Take care!
Ishie

Do you need it to activate it, though? If so, then an internet connection is still a requirement.

Don't think I said it didn't.

It wouldn't be so bad (arguments about system requirements aside) if, once downloaded, you could install it and move it off wherever you like, with no further connection ever needed, even to move it to a new machine with no internet connection and no previous installation. Is this possible?

No idea, haven't tried it, don't intend to.

Good Morning All
Immediately below the 'Cities: Skylines' header image is the following:

Requires STEAMThis product requires STEAM in order to be played. STEAM can be downloaded at http://www.steampowered.com

As Steam requires online activation for downloads, and as the software is a digital download, we expect all users to have an internet connection. For yourself, you are already fully aware of what Steam entails (You may not like it, but we have told you that Steam is required). So far, we've never had a complaint on the helpdesk about these as far as I've seen, and we do make it very clear that Steam is provided.

I have, however, passed on a suggestion to our team to look at adding further info regarding steam, however this will be up to them as to if it is necessary or not...

Regards

Don't think I said it didn't.

No idea, haven't tried it, don't intend to.

Thanks. I had already confirmed that City Skylines needs an internet connection to activate and cannot be separated from Steam, from several sources including by making an inquiry directly to the developer's customer support.

Last edited:
My copy of the newest SimCity (2013) refuses to play after I hit "Play" on the launcher. I spent $60 on the limited edition of that game when it came out, and now it doesn't work...

Login into the Paradox forums as they provide support there for their product there just like N3V does for their products here.

John

Thanks. I had already confirmed that City Skylines needs an internet connection to activate and cannot be separated from Steam, from several sources including by making an inquiry directly to the developer's customer support.

Ideed, but like many Steam games it doesn't require a constant internet connection.

Do you need it to activate it, though? If so, then an internet connection is still a requirement.

It wouldn't be so bad (arguments about system requirements aside) if, once downloaded, you could install it and move it off wherever you like, with no further connection ever needed, even to move it to a new machine with no internet connection and no previous installation. Is this possible?

You appear to have an internet connection, since you're writing this. May I suggest leaving the "worrying about people with no internet connection who wish to play a game" to the people who actually have no internet connection and wish to play a game?

I don't see a problem with disclosure. It's stated clearly the activation requirements, as Zec has demonstrated, and it says Steam is required. If you're having problems staying connected for long enough to activate a game, perhaps it'd be wiser to spend your money on better internet instead of Steam games.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

Login into the Paradox forums as they provide support there for their product there just like N3V does for their products here.

John

SimCity 2013 is published by EA. Cities Skyline is published by Paradox Interactive. It costs $29.99 instead of 60 and actually works.

You appear to have an internet connection, since you're writing this. May I suggest leaving the "worrying about people with no internet connection who wish to play a game" to the people who actually have no internet connection and wish to play a game?

I don't see a problem with disclosure. It's stated clearly the activation requirements, as Zec has demonstrated, and it says Steam is required. If you're having problems staying connected for long enough to activate a game, perhaps it'd be wiser to spend your money on better internet instead of Steam games.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

My gaming rig is not internet connected. You see, not everybody runs a setup like you do. I get great performance from my machines because I don't have anti-virus running, a firewall, or the network connection yourself, or a ton of the other junk that typical users have installed. I don't need a $3,000 gaming rig to get tolerable framerates out of my games. I have a machine set aside for internet and email. Perhaps if you were more technically-inclined, you'd have know that those things all sap performance. Might I suggest doing some homework before giving an "expert" opinion?

The Steam warning wasn't present when I went there nor was the requirement of an internet connection, and the latter still isn't. Since that's REQUIRED (I don't see what's so difficult about that word, but evidently some people can't grasp it) then the game will work about as well as if I was trying to run it on an Android tablet. That's why manufacturers post minimum system requirements (again, it means what it says) in the first place and, often, recommended system requirements (yet again, means what it says). Of course, a lot of developers - perhaps a majority, especially those reselling Steam products - are less-than-upfront about this critical detail. Interestingly, an unofficial site dedicated to this game does mention that an internet connection is required for all versions.

Speaking of tablets, while I realize you think you know everything, would you believe that people sometimes post from machines that may not be capable of running a game like this? For instance, I occasionally post from my wife's 4G tablet, yet you assume that I "obviously" had an internet connection.

Lastly, had you paid any attention whatsoever lo these many years, you'd know one of the key arguments against product activation is that, at some point, support will end and the developer or publisher may no longer allow activations. It's actually pretty common. While you may not care about a game you paid for and thousands of hours of mods going into the bitbucket, some of us do.

Last edited:
HAHAHA

confirmation bias nicky. good luck!

it's a shame the threads that have been ruined because of the pedantic nonsense.

Cities: Skylines is a lot of fun. had it for 2 days and it is always "ok just one more thing" before I know it I've been sitting here for an hour!

Last edited:
Ah, psychology - the science of projecting one's own issues onto others.

In any case, there certainly are a lot of folks willing to mislead to make a buck. Q.E.D.

This thread hasn't been completely useless, though. It inspired me to buy SimCity 4 cheap on GoG. Still prefer Trainz so far, though.

Last edited:
Thanks Shane & John. May have to persuade SWMBO to get this for me at Easter (chocolate eggs off the menu due to on-going diet :( ).

I can see potential problems with Steam and the whole "gotta be online at some point to play" kinda thing, but it's worked so far for me, so I don't have any complaints to note. That being said, in my opinion, RRsignal brings up some valid points, and while I may not 100% agree with all of them, it doesn't mean that they should just be brushed off to the side.

You need to be connected when you:

-download a game
-download any patch
-download any mod ( asset, content )

All other time you can be in offline mode

Is any difference between Trainz digital download and Cities Skyline?

....you'd know one of the key arguments against product activation is that, at some point, support will end and the developer or publisher may no longer allow activations. It's actually pretty common. While you may not care about a game you paid for and thousands of hours of mods going into the bitbucket, some of us do.

Please be so kind and explain this a little more. I don't understand, if i can play the game offline then i don't need additional activation, why then, when the game will not have no more support from Steam, it would not be possible to play it.

regards
celje

Back