All this Southern Pacific Steam Power!

Wait a minute, why would you need a license from Union Pacific? Other people have released Southern Pacific content and they’ve never needed permission from Union Pacific.

If you wanna see an example of what he means, look at the UP's own SP heritage unit
Heritage_L_046.jpg

Theres also a route on the DLS by Philskene that has a session entitled '14 of Ben Neal's steamers in TANE' or something similar. If i recall the link for the engine pack in the description includes Lilb's AC-12 cab forward.

The GS-4 Daylight, MK-5 2-8-2, MT-4 4-8-2, P-10 4-6-2, A6 4-4-2, GS-7 4-8-4 leased from Cotton Belt, SP-1/SP-2 4-10-2, and the massive 4-8-8-2 AC-12 cab-forward are all high-quality Southern Pacific steam locomotives that are available for Trainz. It is thanks to lilb, trainboi1, stevelerro and wgkandsk that we have a full roster of these locomotives at our service. I wonder aside from individual reasons, why SP steam is popular to model in this game?
Well i was the one who commissioned the MT-4 and the SP-1/2 to be built. I did plan to have Lilb also build an F-4/5 2-10-2, but i lost contact with him after the Sp-2 was built. I am an SP nut and love the distinct modifications that SP makes to their locomotives as well as their wide variety of uses on the systems.

As freeware, yes. If you are releasing content that uses companies or the likeness of the Union Pacific (SP, WP, DRGW, etc.) you need permission from the UP since you are profiting off their trademarks. Freeware isn't for profit so you don't need licensing for that.

The Union Pacific has a dedicated page on their site that covers the issue of acquiring licensing to use their trademarks in for-profit actions and for goods and services. They're aware that some people seek out permission from them to use UP trademarks in stuff that they sell, especially if it involves a hobby involving railroading.

https://www.up.com/aboutup/corporate_info/licensing/index.htm

For a company that would potentially use UP Trademarks in model railroading-related goods and services such as Bachmann, MTH, or Lionel, in these times, they had to get permission from the railroad company to use the trademark. For an entity such as the Backshops that sells virtual or model railroading hobby-related goods, they would also have to get permission from the UP to use the company's trademarks in their products.

Alright hang on to your pants cause I'm about to drop the SP bomb on y'all.

I have a GS-2, GS-6 and GS-64 megapack coming out soon on The Backshops yes, these are payware. Price has yet to be determined. We are currently waiting for licensing from UP before it can be released. And yes, you will be able to use PayPal to pay. The pack includes all GS-2, GS-6 and GS-64 engines in multiple variations and a full 1937 Coast Daylight consist for them plus the additional cars that showed up later on the train. I've also got a SP Lark set coming out later using these cars, but I've still got a lot of work left on them before I'm ready to post any pictures of them.

UODMmm5.jpg

Aside from the content listed above, I've also got a GS-4, GS-3 and potentially a GS-5 as well in the works. Right now I only have 4425 finished for the GS-3s and 4449 for the GS-4s. The roller bearing bogeys are done for the GS-5 but I haven't gotten them in game yet. Right now I have 4449 in her 1980's era appearance. Still on the fence about whether I want to keep my GS-4s and such private or release them, or if there is a demand for them or not.

10W7mzy.jpg

Good to hear. Looking forward to this. I hope all goes well with the permission for licensing thing. And thank you for answering about PayPal.

Have to say, that GS-4 looks ever closer to the real thing and

WOW! I didn't think you'd make 4449's auxiliary tender! There's hardly been an accurate model of 4449's second tender and, as such, had to use 2 GS-4 tenders instead to compensate.

But what happened to the numberboard?

Last edited:
Three? I knew there was lilb's GS-4 which is on Jointed Rail, and then there's this one that Daylight has made. So what other GS-4 is out there?

Last edited:
MrTrain's GS-4 was nice when it came out, just like the built in Big Boy model. Although I do wonder if it still has the floating wheel above the locomotive.

I've seen that floating wheel. Such is still the case on that PRR S1 as well. One guy was working on a new S1, but decided to stop as it was nearing completion.

Yeah the team that was making the S1 had to pay a few hundred bucks back to everyone who preordered the engine. Damn shame to, looked amazing.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that guy...
If you go to PaulzTrainz, you’ll find a FOURTH version the SP GS-4, but PaulzTrainz is a payware site, and that GS-4 isn’t exactly as top-notch as the JointedRail one and the Backshops W.I.P., either.

Last edited:
Saw it, got it. Not exactly the best in the world. But it might make a great (ahem!) "replica". :hehe:

Huh. A fourth GS-4 on Paul’s Trainz? Wasn’t aware of that one.

Paul’s site is rather out dated, but he has a lot of stuff on there, everything from an A4 Mallard to a Reading T1.

Back