Western Pacific Steam, oil fired

UPDATE

I decide to make turn this into a "one evening project" since a lot of people seem to need oil tenders. I completed a very simple version of the oil-bunker conversion concept which I'm making a coal-to-oil conversion "kit" that will turn Ben Neal's USRA tenders into oil-tenders available in this thread in the Freeware Announcements section. It's very basic. If I had the time, I'll add more details, hand-rails, rivets, etc. However, I am making the Gmax source file available, so anyone wishing to add to it or use it as a starting point is free to do so.

Very interesting. Did WP do something like that in full scale?

I don't know. You'd have to research the question. I didn't readily find anything searching online (specific to WP) but many other railroad did convert the coal tenders to oil. This page has an article showing one such example of the conversion done on a SP locomotive. Basically, my thinking was that you'd end up with a tender than more closely matched the dimensions of the locomotive you were "converting" to oil if you retained the creator originally made for the locomotive. (A little-bitty tender on a huge locomotive looks kind of odd.)

I trust you would have to be a Trainz "creater" to make use of it.

No, you wouldn't need to be a Trainz creator. Not if you had the mesh for the oil-bunker attachment. With the mesh (and textures used on it) you could just add a few lines to the tender's configuration file, which would make the oil-bunker visible. For example, adding the following line makes the oil-bunker appear on the model I posted earlier:

oilbunker
{
mesh "usra_hmallet_ten_body/oil-bunker.im"
auto-create 1
}

So with those lines added, the tender ends up looking like this (pic below). As shown, this is the smallest size the oil-bunker can be, while still hiding all the obvious (coal) parts of the original tender.

oil-bunker-conversion-attachment-2.jpg

I could make an oil-bunker attachment for Ben's small and large USRA tender and make it freely available, but I have several things I'm already working on. The oil-bunker would need some "real" textures, e.g., with rivets and other details, etc. And for that matter, maybe some hand railing.

I'd be glad to provide the Gmax source files of something that would physically fit in the right location on Ben's small and large USRA tenders (or other Trainz coal tenders, for that matter) -- maybe someone or some group of people would be willing to work on doing what would be needed to complete the job.

Last edited:
I think we found our que...

now thats a gs-64! i wonder if lilb will give you permission to make it into a downloadable freeware download on the DLS or RRmods. NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):)

It's still there: Generic 2-8-0 Compound-SG <kuid2:103475:202:1> by S301. I've got TS10 49933 installed.

Bob Pearson

Thanks, Bob! I'm still trying to figure out my way around the DLS search engine. I would search the title and it wouldn't appear but I guess I had to put in some additional information. Thanks so much!

Brian Pacos

Brian you're welcome. Normally people frown a bit on bumping old threads but in this case it's probably easier and I wouldn't have taken the time to look if you had.

I don't recall reading this thread the 1st time round but I got a chance to dl the tool kit to convert the tenders from open coal bin to oil tanks this time. So I'll see how useful it still is. Thank you,

Bob Pearson

Back