Adding Normal maps in EXISTING assets.

John514

Ambient Occlusion addict
The title says it all:D
Is there a way of adding normal maps into the existing textures of an asset?

No.. because the inclusion of normal maps requires changes to the mesh materials and the inclusion of another block of data in the geometry for each normal mapped material.

Thats what I used to think before everyone got upset for making a comment in a very old thread...:confused:

John,

This isn't that old a thread. What people get in a snit over is when a thread is about 3 years old and comes to life with a comment on it.

But then again, they get in a snit if you don't research a question in the forum for old threads on subjects either.

Go figure,

John

Just one more comment on this.

I started a thread on this subject about 2 years ago.

At the time I was considering making a tool to add normal maps to existing meshes.

It would have worked in s similar fashion to the early PM2IM tool I wrote that used the trainzmeshimporter program. I had so many problems with that version of PM2IM that I scrapped it so the code for possibly adding normals maps was never completed. It is possible; but the broken code for INFL chunk animations prevented me from completing the exercise.

Have you pursued this at all? Not that we don't already owe you a ton for all the great tools you've already released!

Back