Railworks or Trainz? Whats your opinion on both?? Since they have their disadvantages

Hello! As a fellow Aussie I welcome you to Trainz! I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

I enjoy both Trainz and RW, and MSTS too. MSTS and RW have great gameplay, and RW has great sounds too. Trainz is more user-friendly when it comes to creating and installing content. And the latest version, TS12, has Multiplayer, whereas MSTS and RW MP is imagined.

Just a warning for you, don't be surprised if a flamewar starts. I know it's not your intention, but whenever Railworks or MSTS are compared to Trainz, an arguement will usually start, and this thread might be closed.

The only reason I can state for this is that this is the Trainz Discussion forums, it isn't for other simulators. Go to TrainSim.com or UKTrainSim if you want to talk about RW or MSTS.

I just hope that this thread doesn't end up like the others.

Regards,

Kieran.

Last edited:
@14yearoldtrainzkid - I suggest you register whichever version of Trainz that you are running! Members are more likely to assist you with problem solving if you're a registered user.

Also not a good idea to advertise your age (assuming you are a 14 year old kid). Generally these forums are family friendly but you never know who is lurking with malevolent intent. In fact, I'm surprised the username passed moderator scrutiny. Would suggest you email the Helpdesk and ask them to change it. Anyhow...

...As regards RW vs Trainz. These threads have about a 10% chance of surviving the day without getting locked. I have both, I play both and (attempt to) develop routes in both. They each have good points and bad points, but ultimately it is for you to decide - just enjoy driving trains and maybe building some content.

Im 100% sure that almost all users of this forum are reading this thread now, waiting for response or to post something and to start one of those 40-50 pags thread about how good or how bad is railworks vs trainz vs MSTS vs all. The fight can start :D . For me I have say it lots of times, dont discuss about wich one isbetter. Just think that 10 years ago, there where only 1 trusty sim "MSTS" and later came "Trainz". Now we have Trainz,MSTS,RW,BVE 2-4, OpenBVE, OpenRails, EET and others. So just play with them. And i recommend this one that for me is going to be pretty good, I would want to help and create something in this sim team http://www.run8studios.com/

Greetings

Here we go, another Railworks Vs Trainz thread.... zzzZZZZ!

Heres my £2 worth, with the centre missing - yes, the early ones tend to drop the centre of the coin out.. oops! You cannot compare the 2 simulators in the same way, because both are targeted at different audiences, both have different communities and both react differently. I have both and I use both, I've even started developing for both and make my content almost identical to both, because for me, they are both just as good as each other. Trainz is easier to use and develop for by far and Railworks personally to me has slightly better graphics and has a lot more features, as well as having a tad better physics, although if anyone can stop a Class 166 from overshooting a platform, be my guest, I can't seem to drive one of those units for smelly stuff as the braking is god damm awlful!

Trainz has a lot more free content available and I feel is a lot more better geared for custom content, Railworks has a lot more free content available and curiously as a content creator, you are pretty much forced(!) into producing payware. I hate to bad mouth RSDL, but I think to a degree they do.
Why? I enquired about having my Class 502 put on Steam Free of charge and was told I cannot do it as Steam is a commerical company and therefore, would be unlikely to allow that to happen.

I think that answers the freeware/payware debate. Even if I ask for it to be on steam, I'll won't charge much, say a couple of pounds or more as all I want to do, is get myself noticed as an artist and hopefully get a job that way.

So I dont know where is that ton of Freeware avaliable content that you are talking Russell. Not trying to start a debate. There are some good freeware content for railworks, but is like the 15% or 25% of the total amount of payware, as the only thing that I see too much for freeware are routes and reskins. Almost all UK and US content is payware, if not check Oovee, RSDC, G-Trax, DigitalTrainModel,JustTrains, and others. For me I want to end the RW-MSTS-Trainz War thread here, not to close it. But dont focus on starting a "Wich one is better" As I and some others, could write, some much lines.

Just have a good day
Greetings

i think he is in nedd of suggestion about which program to prefer.as you yourself told that both have advantages and disadvantages but if you consider both things thaen trainz has more advantages then railworks and trainz has less disadvantages then railworks.
the major disadvantage of trainz is its old graphics engine ,database repair issue,limited draw distance missing dependency etc
where as railworks have no or less track sound and one biggest disadvantage of railworks is that route building is very difficult where as you can build route with in few mins.
so now decision is yours which to go for what you like most

Another point for the OP to consider in his choice, then, do you prefer running free roam type activities setting the route yourself, or something more structured, e.g. to a passenger timetable with the programme taking care of the routing/signalling? If the former then Trainz probably does this best, but the latter you probably want to see what RW has to offer.

So I dont know where is that ton of Freeware avaliable content that you are talking Russell. Not trying to start a debate. There are some good freeware content for railworks, but is like the 15% or 25% of the total amount of payware, as the only thing that I see too much for freeware are routes and reskins.

Wow! Sorry, but I am rather surpised to be called by my first name, it really doesn't happen often on the forums. (Well, everyone calls me WEN usually).

I somewhat agree with you, however, the problem with Railworks is trying to find the freeware content, its not easily accessible and in fact, it feels like that RSDL are more interested in pushing the payware content (which makes sense, so they can get their markup if you like) but if you want to work for free but wish to get your work out there, good luck.

I have heard that surveyor in Railworks is very difficult.

I have head that Railworks is utterly boring to run a route.

That in a session, a GP9 will attempt to couple on to help a train up a montain ... and then will leapfrog, flying onto the air, ony to crash to the ground, a mile distant.

What is the point of these threads?

Railworks is discounted to 90% off in most Steam Sales. Last week it was four bucks.

Just wait, buy the darn thing and see what you think of it.

Harold

Railworks is discounted to 90% off in most Steam Sales. Last week it was four bucks.

Harold

Agreed, but some of us have already got it (like me) and some of us are creating stuff for it like......

... uhh me.

Harold

From his first post he already has it and says he enjoys it, go easy guys, he's new here. ;)

Back