Lets talk: Trainz and Xbox (or on consoles in general)

Not necessarily the Nintendo Switch, but other hand held devices run Windows already such as the Steam Deck.
Steam Deck would be quite interesting. Many players of TSW and TS Classic are always requesting compatibility for Steam Deck! C'mon, NV3 beat Dovetail Games at this LOL ;)

The one thing I worry about is the limited amount of content available. Most consoles (Xbox included) have built-in browsers that can be used to download things. I used to download maps for Minecraft on the Xbox all the time when I was younger. I'm just wondering if N3V will allow for content to be downloaded from sites like JointedRail and imported into the console edition, like how you can do it on PC, since the Xbox could likely run an equivalent of the PC version.

There is an article in today's edition of my local newspaper (Sydney Morning Herald 21 February 2024) in the business section related to this issue.

"Xbox explores transition to multiple consoles"

Microsoft is looking at expanding its gaming product (software) to other console platforms such as Playstation and Nintendo Switch. Microsoft now own Activision Blizzard which is one of the biggest publishers for the Playstation, Switch and mobile platforms. One of their motivations for this possible move is that they have products which rely on live connections (e.g. players interacting with each other over the internet) and that the growth of those games would be limited without expanding to other platforms.

The article adds that such a move will not automatically mean that all existing Xbox only games will become available on other platforms.

Aiiiee! I don`t think I like that either. It seems like all the good companies either go away or grow up and lose touch with what made them good. I hope that N3V manages to walk the narrow line between the two.

There is an article in today's edition of my local newspaper (Sydney Morning Herald 21 February 2024) in the business section related to this issue.

"Xbox explores transition to multiple consoles"

Microsoft is looking at expanding its gaming product (software) to other console platforms such as Playstation and Nintendo Switch. Microsoft now own Activision Blizzard which is one of the biggest publishers for the Playstation, Switch and mobile platforms. One of their motivations for this possible move is that they have products which rely on live connections (e.g. players interacting with each other over the internet) and that the growth of those games would be limited without expanding to other platforms.

The article adds that such a move will not automatically mean that all existing Xbox only games will become available on other platforms.
That would be so unfair! :(

The Steam Deck runs SteamOS which is a Linux distribution developed by Valve. That uses the Proton compatibility layer to run Windows applications and games.
I forgot what was running on the Steam Deck. One would have to try Trainz under a Linux distribution with the Proton compatibility layer and find out if it works. On the handhelds there's still a lot of other issues to contend with such as storage space.

I forgot what was running on the Steam Deck. One would have to try Trainz under a Linux distribution with the Proton compatibility layer and find out if it works. On the handhelds there's still a lot of other issues to contend with such as storage space.
The Steam app reports if a game is Steamdeck compatible. They have tested most games. TRS19 SP5 is listed as playable under SteamDeck compatibility. It doesn't look like that have tested higher than TRS19 yet.

There is what it says: https://www.screencast.com/t/cL2p2iTkSeod

Last edited:
Hi everyone - dropping by.
It has been an interesting thread as I've been reading the replies. I will agree that if N3V does pull this version off successfully, then it'll be another good way to have income come in for both N3V and the content creators that sell through N3V.
I might have to end up buying a newer version of Xbox just to play Trainz on there :LOL:(currently own Xbox One).

Cheers

Hi everyone - dropping by.
It has been an interesting thread as I've been reading the replies. I will agree that if N3V does pull this version off successfully, then it'll be another good way to have income come in for both N3V and the content creators that sell through N3V.
I might have to end up buying a newer version of Xbox just to play Trainz on there :LOL:(currently own Xbox One).

Cheers
Well mate, I have to suggest! Between the Series S | X consoles. If you own games that's all digital than the Series S is more suitable for your needs, if you game disk everywhere, digital and don't really care how much space it takes up the Series X is best ;)

My only 3 games that I own for Xbox are indeed on disc (as physical is better than digital IMO). I have two external disc drives that I can plug in to read off of them if needed.
I'm going to wait and see what Trainz will require before investing as they might require a newer version of Xbox the way how Microsoft pumps them out ;)

Cheers

On the other hand are consoles no longer the cheapest thing on the market.

gaming PC using an Intel ARC A777 which has a3D score of 10,000 compared to that of the consoles which are around 3,000 for around the same price.

I think in the longer term the console market will shrink so N3V might better creating a UNIX version for the price sensitive end of the market place.

Cheerio John

@johnwhelan, we can but hope, we can but hope. Besides, the Mac versions already ARE Linux versions. The additional porting required should be minimal, especially since many of us are already running Trainz for Windows on Linux with few issues.

Back