UP West Line

Heh. Brachs. I've heard stories that whenever you drove by the factory, you were hit with a burst of amazing smells.

Yep. It's a miserable looking pile of bricks now.

Fun fact for those of you out of the area:
the "hospital" that was blown up in the Batman movie "The Dark Knight" was one of the buildings from the Brachs factory.

Thanks for the info sniper, much appreciated as always. :wave:

On a different note, I got bored and went ahead and installed TS2009 on the new drive. Then I tried to move all the content that I had back into it and, what do you know... it didn't fit.:eek:
Perhaps, though, there will be enough room for the TransDEM textures, the track we're using, some rolling stock and a few JR/rrmods/SPORBUST locomotives. That way I can at least get some track laid, take some nice screenshots... happy days are back!

Was also taken from the EL crossing the Chicago River, the commuter train on the left is a Metra coming out of Ogilve heading west.

from what i can see may correct that metra train crossing under the CNW (just north of northwestern station) coming out of Union Station on the Milw line....

Ok. Quick FYI, and I promise I'll stop replying to every screenshots post. :hehe:

My part of the route didn't quite save as it was supposted to. However, I do still have the old drive which kinda still works, so I could maybe try again.
If not, I'll just have to start over. I still have the origional map as it would have been straight out of TransDEM. It's not like I got that much done anyway.
So, in other words, for all of you hopefully still interested (including you Steve), this project is FAR from vaporware. You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands to get me to completely stop working on this! I'm not going down without a fight! :hehe:
I promise, there will be more screenshots around here soon. I promise.

It's been a while!

Hey all!

Well, looks like I lost all of my progress on the previous route. Luckily though, I still have the map as it looks directly from TransDEM, so...

I'm starting over again!

UP4021_20110104_0002-12.jpg

Of course, you may notice how little is shown in this picture.

The hard truth is...

UP4021_20110104_0007-1-1.jpg

...yeah. :eek:

So, I've got some work to do.

The DEM itself is exactly the same as the last one, but there is one tiny issue. Steve, (if you still want to work with me on this of course) I will need to know where to divide it up again. Still, if you would like to continue to work on it with me, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Enjoy, and sorry for the wait!
:wave:

Well this is going to be a pretty hectic year for me :D I think I can finish trackwork on it this weekend, as I'm finishing up another project I've been working on while you've sorted out the hard drive issues. Spring Break, I won't get much done (I think you're on the same schedule as us), as I'll be hosting another well-known Trainzer at my house for most of that time. I'm sure I'll get some things done. The only part I don't look forward to is texturing. That's always a drag. But hey, it's just texturing :p

Steve

No problem. :wave:

I've seen that you're busy around here, what with all that and especially with the special edition screenshots contest going on.

There is absolutely no rush what so ever. I've been pretty busy lately, and still have a ton to do on this. I am absolutely amazed that you got as much trackwork done as you have. You sir are amazing! :D

And, on sort of a side note, I've been trying to learn Blender. I've been trying to make custom content for the route, and I've come close to finishing some of that as seen on previous pages. However, all of that was lost on the old computer, and will have to be done on Blender, where it looks easier to texture. Plus, I love renderings. :hehe:

So, I've got a new computer, and I'm now ready to keep going...

sweet glad ya back on track ., I completed all the cnw lines except proviso yard man the CNW had a flock of lines hittin chicago from all point s it seems
so track laid and got the markers aligned for AI s workin good now some deco and gotta do a vid so the vaporware folks see this is for real finally

Well, it may not look like much, but it's something. Besides, there's about three more miles of track far out of view.

Straight as a... well... rail.

UP4021_20110108_0000.jpg

Those white lines over to the right are that yard in West Chicago. That should be looking pretty different real soon...

Little bit of something...

About a quarter of that yard done. Here's how it's looking so far.

UP4021_20110109_0000.jpg

UP4021_20110109_0001.jpg

An SD40T-2 does a bit of light switching (no matter how pointless).

UP4021_20110109_0004.jpg

UP4021_20110109_0008.jpg

BTW, pay no attention to the... let's say vintage switching levers. Especially not the ones in the middle of the track. I tried to hide them with the loco, but they are there.

Awesome work! This route is looking good! Do you have any interest adding another Metra route, such as North Central Service :eek:

List?
What else are you planning?

Current Projects:

UP West Line
NS Branch in Central Illinois
SL La Fox Terminal (Fictional)

Planned:

METRA North Central Service
UP New Line (Proviso-Pleasent Prairie)
METRA Milwaukee District West Line
BNSF Saint Croix Subdivision
Saint Paul-Minneapolis, MN

Possible:

BNSF Racetrack
San Antonio, Texas

I have a lot on my mind for 2011. Most likely, none of the planned ones will be done. I'm focusing on ours and the NS one at the moment.

A most impressive list sir. :D

Again, thank you for helping me on this, and good luck to you on your others.

Also, if you need anything for the others... I'm still willing to give it!

Trackwork is no problem for me. It's my favorite thing to do. Scenery is the part that bugs me. If you want to send a CDP over to me to look at it, I'd be more than happy to re-track that if you want. It'd take me a little while to get around to it though.

Hey I was considering finishing my MDN-L extended to Milwaukee. Right now it runs from Fox Lake to Round Lake nothin big yet but I got to see how to learn proper ground elevation. Thats why my routes are flat. And also smooth track work.

If you're going for realism, I understand why you would want to have correct elevation. But many people don't mind if the route is flat. Almost all of mine are unless they're from a DEM. Placing track on those is tricky and takes almost double the time (in my opinion). I guess you could say that the finished product is better, but either way works just fine.

By the way, UP, I'll have some new shots up tomorrow.

Back