Cityrail 2007/2008

The second version of the Harbour Bridge is now being added to the project. This will allow me to create the night textures I want for the model.

Roy

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Daily progress updates of Cityrail 2007/2008 at my blog
http://www.dateck.au.com/cityrailtrainzblog/cityrailblog.html
210 Railway Stations.....447 bridges covering Sydney,Blue Mountains and the Central Coast

Unveiling04.jpg

Its been a while since my last post as I have been flat out working in the model creation department for the project. Cityrail 2007/2008 is coming along nicely now and I have got the Sydney Harbour Bridge to the level of detail I have been looking for.

Note this picture is from a test environment and is not from the actual project itself.

Roy

210 Railway Stations.....447 bridges covering Sydney,Blue Mountains and the Central Coast

SydneyHarbourBridge08.jpg

Sneak preview of a new picture eight hours before it appears in my blog. Hope you enjoy.

People who know Sydney will know this structure very well.

Roy

OperaHouse7.jpg

Sneak preview of a new picture eight hours before it appears in my blog. Hope you enjoy.

People who know Sydney will know this structure very well.

Roy

OperaHouse7.jpg
Absolutely amazing work Roy, congratulations.

Craig
:):):)

Its a big project....Especially when your basically making everything yourself;)....Nice work there Roy with Sydney harbour....Keep it up.

Hi Roy,

Your work continues to astound & encourage many.
The attention to detail, cutting-edge Trainz technology (pushing the boundaries further out),
zeal & dogged determination is more than just 'commendable'!...:)

I thank you for taking the precious time to keep us so regularly informed on this journey.
It's 'your' journey, but by now you must realize there's several eager followers,
all willing you on to greater achievements & further progress.

I have a question you may be able to help me with, concerning 1km basemaps:-
I know you use GE (Google Earth) in conjunction with the UBD? directory for Sydney.
I have been using GE to create 1km maps that I then place onto the nine
1km basemaps.
But in a current project I have 70 GE 1km maps, & need to make 70 basemaps.
Can I 'alias' the original nine, or make my own, & how?.

......Can I 'alias' the original nine, or make my own, & how?.

In TRS2006 I have created a new asset for each GoogleEarthMap and then opened it up in explorer and renamed the config file to oldconfig. I have then copied across all the files from a previous GoogleEarthMap asset including the config file into the new asset.

I then go about changing the KUID number of the config file for the new asset to the KUID of the new asset...... also changing the username to the name of the new asset.

Then I replace the old TGA file with the TGA file with the Google Earth image to be used on the new asset. Then i commit the new asset and it is ready to use with the next GE image.

You could try using alias because that would be quicker to do 70 maps. However i personally have stayed away from aliases as I had a problem with TRS2004 years ago and suddenly found I had lost 40 plus items I had added which were aliased from another asset. Probably something I have done wrong but I have decided not to use aliases myself and create new assets from scratch and use modified copies of config files from another of my models. I lost the aliases when I restored from a disk error so I think the aliases did not get backed up for some reason..... they just disappeared. Could have been errors on my disk drive causing that too.

Hope that makes some sense. By the way, the UBD you mentioned is simply a Street Directory I have on DVD showing maps of all cities across Australia. I used that prior to Google Earth existing.

Roy

Last edited:
Hi Roy,

I'll need a little time to work through the process you explained; of how you make GE assets etc.
Many thanks for this.
Am I to understand that you start off with the nine basemap kuids, & make copies of these with your own kuid #s?.
Or do you make the whole asset yourself; not using the nine basemaps?.

Oh btw I'm running TRS2004.

:)

Hi Roy,

I'll need a little time to work through the process you explained; of how you make GE assets etc.
Many thanks for this.
Am I to understand that you start off with the nine basemap kuids, & make copies of these with your own kuid #s?.
Or do you make the whole asset yourself; not using the nine basemaps?.

Oh btw I'm running TRS2004.

:)

Hi Noel,

I only use one asset , or model, to add Google Earth images to the project. I look at the area I am working on, get the Google Earth image for that area and use that image for the one model I have setup to be used as a Google Earth template for the purpose of adding scenery.Once I have added the buildings, parks, etc that is shown on Google Earth, I move onto the next area.

Instead of creating a new model and KUID, I use the same one and simply edit the picture file for the model and copy in the Google Earth image for the next section. This way you can move quickly from one area to the next simply by replacing the texture file.

I only use one KUID as this is only a temporary model and will be deleted when the project is complete. Saves deleting 70 or more KUIDs.

Hope that helps.

Roy

Back