Is there any TS2009 content on DLS?

Approach_Medium

Trainz Addict
Hi;
I am trying to find some TS2009 content so that I can see the difference between TS2006 and TS2009 (Beta-1).
So far, I cannot find anything on DLS.

Thanks for your help

FW

Don't expect a lot of 2009 native content released to the dls for a long time.

Currently the following problems exist:
- No Content Creators Guide detailing how to create content is available. TrainzDev site has limited and very fragmented info available but is, for most, insufficient to help the creation process.
- True 2009 content requires normal maps. 3dsMax apparantly has support to create these and it is reported that Blender does as well but it took for ever just to create and export a textured cube from Blender - A loco would be a nightmare (for me anyway).
- "Supported content" must be created with 3dsMax (many folks are working on creating exporters from other 3d programs but the current statment is that only 3dsMax creations are supported for 2009) - Unless you're rich or make you're living at 3d modeling you will never afford 3dsMax!
- "Native" content released from the community always lags the actual release of a product which will not be released for a while yet!

As any of the Beta testers can tell you, Auran has posted a large number of items which still require fixing so don't expect anything too soon. Hopefully all the "little" things will be fixed as well as the "big" things before the official release. Also, I for one, hope that a complete and well edited Content Creation Guide will be available with the release media. The CCG usually lags far behind a release however.

Sorry to make this a bit long winded.

Brian

Last edited:
Hi;
I am trying to find some TS2009 content so that I can see the difference between TS2006 and TS2009 (Beta-1).

Thanks for your help

FW

There are several items built-in to the Beta, most notably the UP SD40-2. If you have the Beta, they shouldn't be too hard to find. If not, there are numerous screenshots floating around that will give you an idea of what to expect.

Patrick

It should have occurred to me that there wouldn't be content for a product that's still in Beat, but sometimes I get these "brain farts". I need to go trackside and feel the power of 3x 5KHP diesels thundering past me at 60mph!
That always helps to clear my mind, and my ears<g>

I'll just keep playing with the Beta, and building in TS2006.

FW

Hi;

Thanks for your help

FW
Are you testing the Beta? If so, then you have seen a few built-in objects that were made for TS2009. Without the Beta, how were you planning on seeing the difference since you couldn't very well use any of the new stuff in TRS2006?

Don't expect a lot of 2009 native content released to the dls for a long time.

Or at least untill Auran allow us to upload TS2009 compatible content to the DLS. I've got a number of items that could, in theory, be uploaded right now... Mostly simple items, but hey...

- No Content Creators Guide detailing how to create content is available. TrainzDev site has limited and very fragmented info available but is, for most, insufficient to help the creation process.

Not true. Much of the info you need to make TS2009 model either comes from TC3, if not from earlier versions. Anything that is new, is documented on the TrainzDev site. If there is stuff you do need help with, with these new features you then ask. To make an actual CCG for 09, well it wouldn't relly be worth it these days. It is better off on the wiki, where people can make changes or addition if they find new things on that topic.

- True 2009 content requires normal maps. 3dsMax apparantly has support to create these and it is reported that Blender does as well but it took for ever just to create and export a textured cube from Blender - A loco would be a nightmare (for me anyway).

Fair enough. But, you can still make the content with GMax. You just have to manually create the normal map. And it won't use the new exporters (you might find a slight decrease in performance using this stuff, but not huge).

- "Supported content" must be created with 3dsMax (many folks are working on creating exporters from other 3d programs but the current statment is that only 3dsMax creations are supported for 2009) - Unless you're rich or make you're living at 3d modeling you will never afford 3dsMax!

Hmmm, so you mean the Trainz Mesh Importer isn't supported by Auran? Wasn't it created by Auran to allow those without GMax to still have the chance to create for TS2009? Hmmm....

- "Native" content released from the community always lags the actual release of a product which will not be released for a while yet!

But it doesn't have to... As I said, I have a number of items that are TS2009 'native'. In fact, I have one wagon that IS designed for TS2009 (using the TS2009 exporters) that I can release now (yeah, I lost 2-3 new features from it by releasing to 04, the only make a very small improvement, so what?).

Also, I for one, hope that a complete and well edited Content Creation Guide will be available with the release media. The CCG usually lags far behind a release however.

Pretty sure Auran have said that there will be no CCG, and that the TrainzDev wiki will be taken over this role. Right now, it's a bit disjointed... But, with the work of the community, we should be able to make it work... So long as people actually to help instead of just wanting :)

Zec

3dsMax

Is it true that latest version of 3dsMax cost $3,500 US dollars? :( If so, this might just limit the amount of new content created for TS2009. What cheap alternative are there to 3dsMax?

Hi Paul

For your information your latest PDF link doesn't work.

by the way, thankyou for your great tutorials they really are a help

Ron

Hello

Rob has uploaded several Ground Textures to TS2009 Standards, Scenarios for routes have been upgraded to TS2009 Standards some where from TRS2006.

They are all available now to download from the Auran DLS and you need to have a registered copy of TS2009 to download the new assets.

Also TS2009 icon is available on the DLS, tick the icon to search for TS2009 Content on the Auran DLS.

Regards

Ahsan:)

Back