Bug or Feature?

schweitzerdude

TRS22+ build 117669 here.

A few weeks ago, I discussed how objects or splines could be added to the session layer accidentally. If you are in Surveyor Classic with route layer selected, go to Surveyor 2.0 to do something, and return to Classic, the default layer becomes session without warning, and objects and splines added after this point are on the session layer. If you realize this, a merge will fix the problem. But if you exit the program, save the route but not the session (to preserve the starting positions of trains (common with UDS)) your work will be lost. This to me is a bug and I have been told it has been reported.

The value of UDS is to switch easily between Driver and Surveyor. But the same issue arises. Going from Driver to either S2.0 or Classic resets the default layer from route to session. This to me is a bug as well. But maybe N3V designed the software to do this. If so, I don't understand why.

I don't think that it is a bug or a feature but simply the way it has always been before the arrival of S20.

Whenever you loaded a Session into the original Surveyor (Surveyor Classic) the first session layer was the default layer regardless of which layer was active the last time you exited Trainz.

Switching from S20 to Classic simply repeats this process. Activating Classic after working in S20 restores the active layer to the default starting layer, just as loading a Session into Surveyor does. It is something that N3V should look at. It may or may not be simple to fix (I am not a programmer) but it is worthy of putting in a bug report at https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu

My graphics program, GIMP, retains the identity of the last used layer and the status of the displayed expanded layer groups when you reload a GIMP image file, so it should not be impossible.

I don't think that it is a bug or a feature but simply the way it has always been before the arrival of S20.

Whenever you loaded a Session into the original Surveyor (Surveyor Classic) the first session layer was the default layer regardless of which layer was active the last time you exited Trainz.

This is a good point and something I have learned to adapt to. Pre UDS/S2.0, most users probably didn't care which layer they were on because most users only had one session, and when they saved, they routinely saved the route and session.

Now, I think most users still have only one session per route, but with UDS and the related not saving the session advice, objects and splines have the potential to be lost. This plagued me when I first upgraded to TRS19+ and then to TRS22+. I (and the QA Team at N3V) spent a lot of time trying to pinpoint the cause, which I finally did. I know the QA Team now knows about this because I emailed them as soon as I found what was going on and they agreed with me.

Last edited:
the default layer becomes session without warning
>>
bug. Will be fixed in the next update.

Back