Blowdown sound autoplaying in Ben Neal's newer content in TRS19 SP4.

shebashetan7

Hey guys,

So after patching to TRS19 SP4, I run into this bug where the default cab boiler blowdown sound effect plays after I place down one of Ben's USRA Light 2-8-2s for TRS19 or one of his other newer locos in Driver. The sound only plays in DCC and not in cab mode. I think this has to do with the cab assets that he uses for the engines. Are the any possible workarounds or fixes for this issue and has anyone else encountered it trying to run Ben's content?

Alright so I was told that the blowdown sound is being played by the injectors and it can be silenced by going into cab mode and messing with the injector controls. This has to be done for every loco that is newly placed down however. I believe it has to do with how SP4 processes scripts for steam locomotives. Either that function was changed or messed up.

Is the sound from the injectors or the safety valves? If the latter you will see steam emitted from the top of the boiler.

Phil

Is the sound from the injectors or the safety valves? If the latter you will see steam emitted from the top of the boiler.

Phil

The sound effect is emitted by the injectors. In the cab view of the engine in DCC mode, I sometimes see the injector switches randomly change position from off to on which coincides with the sound effects playing.

The loco script plays the injector sound file continuously when the injector setting is greater than 0.1. I don't see anything in the script that manipulates the injector controls (either loco's or cab's script). If they are moving on their own it's something new - a feature or bug by N3V IMHO.

[EDIT] TRS19 SP1 I didn't see a problem - I can move the controls only in cab mode but sometimes I have to move it to 1.0 (100%) to hear the sound and not 20% (>0.1). I love consistency and that's not consistent but the following did stop the sound from playing. I only have SP5 beta not SP4 to test in but will post back when I get a chance to fire it up.

If it does "bug" you a lot, you can disable it by editing the script referenced in the loco's config. The script is usually steamscript.gs. The following assumes it is steamscript.gs but use whatever name is referenced in the config's script tag.

Make a backup copy - you can keep it in the same directory if you add the extension .txt
With a simple text editor like Notepad.exe open steamscript.gs and search for "thread void ApplianceSounds(void)" (should be line 332).

Place multi line comment symbols "/*" & "*/" as indicated in the code segment below (on lines 339 and 349):

thread void ApplianceSounds(void) {
while(1) {
if(GetEngineParam("main-reservoir-pressure") < 0.0092) {
PlaySoundScriptEvent ("comprun");
} else {
StopSoundScriptEvent ("comprun");
}
/* if(GetEngineSetting("injector") > 0.1) {
PlaySoundScriptEvent ("injecrun");
} else {
StopSoundScriptEvent ("injecrun");
}
if(GetEngineSetting("injector2") > 0.1) {
PlaySoundScriptEvent ("injecrun");
} else {
StopSoundScriptEvent ("injecrun");
}
*/ if(LightState) {
PlaySoundScriptEvent ("generator");
SendMessage(me, "pfx", "+4");
SetFXCoronaTexture("sd_lite", m_coronaExtra);
} else {
StopSoundScriptEvent ("generator");
SendMessage(me, "pfx", "-4");
SetFXCoronaTexture("sd_lite", null);
}

Sleep(2.0f);
} // end while
} // end ApplianceSounds

Save the file and make sure the name remains the same, in this case "steamscript.gs".
Submit in CM and see if any errors occur when the script is compiled.

Bob Pearson

PS
[EDIT]
I tried it in TRS19 SP5 beta. In DCC mode the injector control is opened at the start of the session in Driver. In SP1 it was closed. In DCC I can't move the injector controls, so this is done by the game. I'll note there are some bug reports for cab switches being set in the wrong aspect to start.

I don't see the changes to the script having any effect in TRS19 SP5 beta either so I'm at a loss right now on what is happening. I deleted and replaced the locos so maybe there is some kind of caching problem with CM though I did a database rebuild and no luck. The soundscript in the locos config is controlled by the script - it's confusing.

I suggest a bug report be submitted and let N3V sort it out.

Last edited:
Alright so I submitted a bug report for this issue. I included screenshots of the injector switches that keep changing between their off and on states.

Back