Install of TRS22 did not go well

Cayden

Trainz PC, iPad and Mac
I attempted to install TRS22 while retaining TRS19 by trying to follow the steps provided in an email from N3V and it did not go well. I lost TRS19. TRS22 did not appear in the Start Menu (1) and the Trainz .cdp icons are blank (2).

Where should I go from here? I can open TRS22 from the TRS22.exe file, even pin it to the Task Bar but cannot pin it to the Start Menu (RMB TRS22.exe > Pin to Start).

I would like to get TRS19 back and also have TRS22 installed as a separately program.

Cayden

eLxI28Y.jpg

This should not happen

To get TRS19 back
-Copy your current local folder, to FI TRS19Local
-go to my trainz and download the last full TRS19 installer you can get (presumably sp4)
-install TRS19
-let the DBR run complete
-Open TRS19 launcher and open Trainz Settings /Install\ tab
-put the path to your TRS19Local there.
-again let the DBR run complete

Now you have TRS22 and TRS19 separate, each with a separate local
really wish it was all a bit more user friendly.
hope this helps GM

This should not happen

To get TRS19 back
-Copy your current local folder, to FI TRS19Local
-go to my trainz and download the last full TRS19 installer you can get (presumably sp4)
-install TRS19
-let the DBR run complete
-Open TRS19 launcher and open Trainz Settings /Install\ tab
-put the path to your TRS19Local there.
-again let the DBR run complete

Now you have TRS22 and TRS19 separate, each with a separate local
really wish it was all a bit more user friendly.
hope this helps GM

Thank goodness for backups. I did a recovery as you outlined and have things back up and running. Not sure I will keep using TRS19 and TRS22 on first look seems quite similar.

Cayden

Thank goodness for backups. I did a recovery as you outlined and have things back up and running. Not sure I will keep using TRS19 and TRS22 on first look seems quite similar.

Cayden

I recommend keeping them both for now. TRS22 is still beta and you don't want to do any kind of real route development in there until it's ready for prime time. They look similar because TRS22 is based on TRS19, but there are most likely going to be developments ahead that will separate the products, but right now leave things as is.

Also, even though the build number (build version 5.0) is the same between TS19 and TS22, things build or modified in TS22 are not backward compatible to TS19

So, what went wrong in the first place

I want to put 2022 on a seperate physical drive. Do I have to build a whole new machine to keep the different versions from messing each other up?

I am poised to install 2022 after moving my user data for 2019 off my OS seperate drive, it was filling up my C drive and I don't understand why they had to mess with us in the first place. Why, if we decide to install the game in a seperate drive, did n3v design it to put more future data on C? I was not aware that this was happening till I noticed C drive was dangerously approaching max capacity. If it is possible to re-direct the user data then they should have had that process done in the original installation of the game.

I'm worried about proceeding now.

What instructions will get 2022 in my machine seperately from the get go, or should I put in a trouble ticket and implore n3v to change the way they install 2022?????

Thanks

Wild Willy the Wacko

A while ago I noticed that my c:\ drive was filling up (conventional HDD).

I used Corsair scanner to recommend upgrades...

I ended up with a large HDD and free SSD.
Moved the c:\ user directory to d:\ then the Trainz files to the SSD.

If you can use a SSD, it will make a huge difference to the responsivity of Trainz.

Have a good New Year
Colin

All the latest versions install the game on the drive you select. The data is a separate folder that always goes on the C drive. TRS22 will not affect the 19 version as it is a new install. It will install on the drive selected and add a new build folder on the C drive. Once installed move the build folder to another drive and redirect the settings/install path to the new location.

Correct me if I am wrong, but contrary to stagecoach’s post (#8 in this thread) TRS22 is NOT a new version of Trainz as was, for example, T:ANE and TRS19. It is a patch to TRS19, in my case taking it from 114800 to 115962.

So, if you go to the Launch Window, select Install, and select the Trainz Plus Beta stream you will patch your EXISTING TRS19 install upgrading it to TRS22. In the process you will LOOSE your content that is in your Program Files > N3V Games > TRS19 folder.

I went back and had a look at what I did but decided I wasn’t the one to give the steps. I would suggest you check with N3V and, if you received it, not to follow their email as it confused me and I had to restore my TRS19 from backups.

Cayden

I am not contradicting you in the slightest !

Correct me if I am wrong, but contrary to stagecoach’s post (#8 in this thread) TRS22 is NOT a new version of Trainz as was, for example, T:ANE and TRS19. It is a patch to TRS19, in my case taking it from 114800 to 115962.

So, if you go to the Launch Window, select Install, and select the Trainz Plus Beta stream you will patch your EXISTING TRS19 install upgrading it to TRS22. In the process you will LOOSE your content that is in your Program Files > N3V Games > TRS19 folder.

I went back and had a look at what I did but decided I wasn’t the one to give the steps. I would suggest you check with N3V and, if you received it, not to follow their email as it confused me and I had to restore my TRS19 from backups.

Cayden

I just want to say that if it is an upddate as you say, why would our experts at n3v set it up to loose our content ! How can they consider that an update?????

You would think it would get better but if it doesn't get worse, then you at least loose something you really want with every update!

Thanks

Wild Willy the Wacko

TRS22 installs a separate install It won't delete the TRS19 Folder. Two things need to be done if you still have the TRS19 and TRS22 installed. Locate the TRS19 build folder and then enter the path in the TRS19 settings/install. Copy the build folder and paste it in a new location and then direct the TRS22 path to it. The old TRS22 build folder on the C drive can be deleted. There are two patches for TRS19, one takes it to TRS19 SP5 the other to TRS22. SP5 keeps the old data folder 22 creates a new one.

I have completely independent installations of TANE. TRS19 and TRS22 on the same drive of a single PC.
I do not use the default location for installation I create a folder directly in the root of the drive and install.
I then make a folder in my trainz folder and call it xxxDB and I copy my master database from a backup drive to that xxxDB folder.
Then I find the "userdata-redirect-map" and redirect it to my xxxDB folder.
Finally I run a DBR and then an EDBR. I do not have any failures by using that process.

EDIT
Each install has it's own folder and it's own DB folder so :-

C:\TANE\TANEDB
C:\TRS19\TRS19DB
C;\TRS22\TRS22DB

Last edited:
I think the recommend action was to copy the Trains 2019 program to another location and run the update on that version.

Rob

Back