Welcome to TRS22 from the CEO

Hello! As many complaints were posted below, I would like to tell you that compared with other trainz games, Trainx 22 looks the most stable and I like what it was done. Except for some bugs that are there, I really enjoyed Trainz 22 and the new editing tools. I asked you on discord too, but you will probably not see it there, so I ask you here. Do you think there will be release any fix until Christmas? Thank you!

Except for some bugs that are there, I really enjoyed Trainz 22 and the new editing tools. ... Do you think there will be release any fix until Christmas? Thank you!

Since TRS22 is currently a beta test version the bugs are part of the "deal". There will certainly be at least one (but hopefully more) beta update(s) released before the retail version comes out sometime in January (???).

As to when the next beta update will be released, your guess is as good as mine.

In their most recent newsletter, N3V have announced that they will be running with much reduced staff levels from Dec 23rd to Jan 10th.

I believe the announced release date of the retail version of TRS22 is March 2022. Of course, this is subject to revision at any time. The January date appears to be an Early Access version on Steam and direct from N3V which will be more functional than the current beta but still under development.

Last edited:
You're welcome but not really a correction. just more details I found this morning while re-reading Tony's messages. I was waiting for Trainz Plus to download, install and update. But it does give me a chance to commend you on all the hard work you have put into the wiki. You have added so much valuable information to it. Well done.

A Couple of Questions

Hi guys,

Haven't played Trainz in quite a while, but I am glad to see the imminent release of a new version. However, I do have a couple of questions before I look at purchasing it when I next get paid:

1 - How is performance nowadays? I remember that, when I first installed TRS2019, performance on some routes was just horrible! I could run Sebino Lake reasonably well, and Kickstarter County worked pretty flawlessly as well, but there was another route that ended up being a slide-show. I gave up on the title shortly before the release of SP1, so not sure if things are better, performance-wise, nowadays. Obviously, '2022 is a new version but, if I'm not mistaken, it is running on the same engine.

2 - What is the availability of extra scenarios for the different routes like, compared to Trainz' main competitor from DTG? And, before anyone says 'Why don't you just make your own?', please understand that I am living with considerable brain-damage, caused by a reaction to a flu vaccination several years ago, and so learning new things is quite challenging for me. I shudder just at the thought of trying to learn how to add scenarios to the existing routes in Trainz.

Also, before I forget, congratulations to Tony and the rest of the team for reaching that milestone... :D

Hi JazzGuru! I don't have TS22, so can't answer the first question. There are a lot of Sessions out there for many of the routes, but I have run into two issues that have kept me from using a lot of them:
1 - Finding them. Many sessions out there just don't say what route they are for, and sometimes if the route has been updated the sessions will have the old map KUID.
2 - A LOT of sessions use payware locos and/or rolling stock and/or scenery items. Not so bad if you own the payware, but If not they may be unplayable. Best to stick to sessions that say they use DLS only.
That being said there are some great sessions out there, some of the best actually come with the routes themselves.

Hello JazzGuru.. I would consider '22 as just further development on '19. If you are not aware, (depending on how long you've been gone) a lot has changed due to subscriptions. Those who have "Plus" have UDS and Surveyor 2 while those who are not on Plus don't have those features. Features depend on your "account" and not so much on the build. In fact, I have Standard and Plus (two separate accounts) with installs being the same build but the difference between them is night and day as for features. Perfomance is totally a factor of hardware and settings. I see no difference between '22 and '19. What makes a big difference is whether you run Ultra settings or Normal.

As for sessions.. No difference between now and when I entered "Trainz" with '19 Early Release. DLC will come with 2-3 sessions. Sessions for Freeware are rare except for some creators who provide some great sessions. Eventually you learn who they are.

What I've found with TRS22 is that all kinds of things just seem to be working a little better than before and quite a few annoying bugs from older version have now gone. Loading and startup is a lot faster than TRS19 SP4 as well. This is still a beta version so it's not completely perfect, but since I downloaded and installed TRS22 it's the version of Trainz I find myself using on a daily basis which I wouldn't be doing if it was too much of an awful buggy mess. With the Surveyor 2.0 thing, - I have it due to having a Gold Sub, - but I haven't done more than stare at it for a while before going back to the classic version. I will give 2.0 a proper road test eventually, but in my opinion the classic version is working so well in TRS22 that I'm not all that worried about it at present. My only concern will be over the menus and how easy they are to read since I have problems with my eyesight.

In my view this is the best version of Trainz so far, - well done Tony and the N3V team.

So, I haven’t checked this thread in a while… so how’s TRS22 for you guys? Id the beta performing well? Is what’s in the game good? (I’m sure it is)

Thanks for the responses guys. Hopefully I'll be able to make my purchase on Monday... :)

If you plan to get Plus you might go ahead and read some threads and in Wiki about UDS. It can be confusing if not used properly. The threads here will bear that out! A "session" can be both a "true" session to run, or, it can be a "saved game." They both end up on the "sessions" panel and people get confused. If using UDS (Unified Driver Surveyor) the user needs to understand what they are doing and whether they are working on a Route or a true Session. Keep backups of your work in progress!

Wow, I got paid early (due to the Christmas weekend), so I decided to purchase '22. I've only done a quick 'mess around' on Kickstarter County 2 but, so far, performance is notably better. Hopefully this trend of improvement will continue... :)

Well Ipaid for TRS22 and 12 months membership.
I got TRS22 (A BRILLIANT BIT OF KIT) I DIDN'T GET my membership or FCT.
Auran say I didn't pay for the membership and FCT.
Not a problem as I have decided to end my association with Auran and I am in the process of trying to get my payment to Auran reversed.

Best of luck people.. Y'all gonna need it.
I’m sure you’re mistaken. If you purchased TRS22 from the store, then you didn’t get a Trainz Plus membership. If you got a membership through MyTrainz then you’d get the FCT and other membership benefits.
if you made the wrong choice, then submit a helpdesk ticket and they will sort something out.

Thank you for admitting to the mistake (I have made quite a few of those and we are all human) and for apologising. I agree that it can get confusing - TRS22 can be purchased outright or given as a "freebie" if you purchase an annual subscription to Trainz Plus by Jan 15th (an option I am still considering).

Glad it is being "sorted".

Relick.. Glad you admitted the mistake. I hope this reminds all of us, self included, that we need to be sure of things before we post. Too many people "assume" and use the forum to bash the developer/game.

I'm always amazed at those who post that the game is a bunch of **@#!, then we learn that their disk is full, they are pointing to the wrong data folder, they added content improperly, etc. etc. etc. Amazingly, they never respond with an apology or "I was wrong." You did! Thank you for that!

Congratulations on the 20 years.

So excited to see that Surveyor was being upgraded to Surveyor 2.0 and coming out at the same time (seemingly) as TRS22, so much so that I ASSUMED TRS22 included the new Surveyor 2.0 (Forever!). So I jumped right in and bought my first Trainz Plus membership - as per the promotion - best value deal - except I now see that I was wrong.

Yes, it was the best value deal, but Surveyor 2.0 is not part of the deal that you keep forever. Oh! For me, world building is one of the best parts of the game – and integral to it. Classic Surveyor is okay but it can be frustratingly slow to build routes. Any improvements to Surveyor are very welcome ...... which is why I jumped in!

Had I realised it wasn’t included - I would have stayed my hand. Now, I am in a quandary as I do not intend to renew my subscription - it was never my intention anyway. So, do I actively use Surveyor 2.0 knowing that in 12 months time I will lose access to it? Seems crazy I know! On the positive side - and I do try to be positive - I do get to trial Trainz Plus for a year, which I have never had!

AND, my hope is that Surveyor 2.0 becomes part of TRS22 over the next 12 months. That possible? Surveyor is an integral part of the game and I am pleased to see that the CEO states it will be included in the game – sometime - (Post Dec 1 2021 04:00PM) “With Surveyor 2.0 still being developed, this feature will remain a Trainz Plus feature until it has been fully fleshed out and then included in a future Trainz update.” The thing that is missing in the CEO’s post is of course is WHEN this is expected to happen.

If, at the end of this next 12 months, Surveyor 2.0 is not included in an update, I will have a decision to make. Do I stay - subscribing - as I will probably have been using Surveyor 2.0 for 12 months and could not face going back to Classic Surveyor? Or do I let the subscription lapse? Yes, I know - only 20 US cents a day to subscribe! I think I can safely say - gauging from posts I have read - that I am not the only one who thought Surveyor 2.0 was included with TRS22.

However, I am hoping that the next 12 months will be a good experience. I do get a lot of enjoyment from Trainz, but I enjoy other things too. Ultimately though I don’t think I would pay another AU$100 just for having access to Surveyor 2. Might be having a break for a bit. Time will tell. (My 2 cents – just wanted to convey the thinking of someone who has followed along for the past 11 years generally buying a Trainz version every few years or so.)

I would expect that if Surveyor 2.0 is ready for primetime it will probably appear in a Platinum version, somewhere down the track. The beta and Trainz+ offering is to get as many people as possible using the new Surveyor to iron out any bugs and test more new features.

Back