Thread: Moving Files Safely?

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

Question Moving Files Safely?

What is safer:
    Move a file by:

Dragging & Dropping?
    -or-
    By Copy & Paste?

Are there any Do's or Dont's to be concerned with?

We are approaching a Release where this action should be involved
    with new and/or old files.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.2ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 111951 & 114400

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

It's up to you.

I prefer copy and paste due to twitchy fingers lifting up and depositing files in the wrong place when dragging and dropping.

There doesn't appear to be any indication of anything soon(tm) on the horizon, but backing up data is a good plan anyway and should be done more often than not.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Years ago in the DOS days, I used Norton Commander, for file management
    Later in Windows I found a replacement in Windows Commander
    Now its called Total Commander.
    Have to move, copy so many files dayly, that a filemanager with 2 windows is very handy
    you always know where you are, can compare directories easy etc.

Use a method you feel comfy with and that you know works.

Keep in mind with Drag and Drop, that if you are working on the SAME Drive, it defaults to MOVE and will delete the files from the original location. Between two drives, the default is COPY, and it will leave the original files in place. To be safe, I always right-click and drag instead of left-click. Then, when you right-click, drag and drop, it will ask you if you want to MOVE or COPY.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Keep in mind with Drag and Drop, that if you are working on the SAME Drive, it defaults to MOVE and will delete the files from the original location.
    In this case (same partition) Windows only modifies the MFT. Files stay where they are, no file is moved or deleted.

That may be, that the pointers are just changed, but the appearance to the end user is as described.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Default Thank you for explenation

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Keep in mind with Drag and Drop, that if you are working on the SAME Drive, it defaults to MOVE and will delete the files from the original location. Between two drives, the default is COPY, and it will leave the original files in place. To be safe, I always right-click and drag instead of left-click. Then, when you right-click, drag and drop, it will ask you if you want to MOVE or COPY.
    Thank you.. you helped me a lot!