Toronto Lakeshore West

neilsmith749

Well, since the UMR is on the dls and available to everyone, I guess it's time to work on something new.

This is my first attempt at a prototypical-ish project. I've decided to try to build the mainline from Toronto Union Station west to Oakville. I'm also trying to keep the polys down and the framerates up, so it may not be as detailed as the UMR, but I'll still try to make it look good.

It's nowhere near being completed, but I'd promised some progress shots, so if anyone's interested, here goes:

Looking East from Mimico Stn.
tlw001xg9.jpg

By neilsmith749 at 2007-09-15

Heading West into the shops.
tlw002vd9.jpg

Heading West out of the mtce facility, over Kipling, and past National Silicates.
tlw003dt0.jpg

Looking West from the Islington Ave bridge.
tlw005jh9.jpg

Screaming East through Mimico Stn.
tlw006tx2.jpg

Heading East around the Humber Bay.
tlw007zx2.jpg

That looks pretty good.I am glad someone else is doing this route now.Now I can quit working on my Go Transit system as I am getting tired of creating layouts.I will now just enjoy running other peoples layouts and do custom creations.I'll look forward to seeing it completed.

Compudoc.

It's nice to see more Canadian content being made, I will follow your progress on this new route for sure. I also look forward to UMR Snow.

:udrool: :mop:

The winter version of the UMR is pretty much ready to go, but it just wouldn't seem right releasing it when we're still getting temps of 80 degrees!!

It'll probably be available some time in Nov or Dec.

n

Neil, this looks alot better than the Toronto layout by TorontoTrainz. Is that version messed up or what? There's too many grade crossings on the mainline and there's no big yards and Toronto Union Station is on the ground, not elevated with bridges. It would be nice if you could do it further such as to the endpoints of the GO system at least the Lakeshore Line east-west or even to Niagara Falls. Will this work for TRS2004, or 2006 only? I still haven't got 2006. I'm hoping you can make this compatible with 2004. There's a payware route like this from Toronto-Hamilton for that other train sim. What about the route from Toronto to Kingston, Gananoque? I was at Kingston, Toronto, and Niagara Falls for the first time July 06. You said 80 degrees. Do you guys go by Fahrenheit or Celsius on a regular basis up in Canada? For me, Celsius is weird, 32 degrees C is hot but freezing in F. I'm used to 100 degrees being summer temp., and 0 being below freezing. I know you switched from miles to km's in Sept. 1977 there's a sign at the Canada border at Niagara Falls about the switch with the date. It says Metric Conversion. Also, it's hard to get used to km's when you're used to miles, thank God the US has no plans to switch. I'm from eastern PA.

Last edited:
Neil, this looks alot better than the Toronto layout by TorontoTrainz. Is that version messed up or what? There's too many grade crossings on the mainline and there's no big yards and Toronto Union Station is on the ground, not elevated with bridges. It would be nice if you could do it further such as to the endpoints of the GO system at least the Lakeshore Line east-west or even to Niagara Falls. Will this work for TRS2004, or 2006 only? I still haven't got 2006. I'm hoping you can make this compatible with 2004. There's a payware route like this from Toronto-Hamilton for that other train sim. What about the route from Toronto to Kingston, Gananoque? I was at Kingston, Toronto, and Niagara Falls for the first time July 06. You said 80 degrees. Do you guys go by Fahrenheit or Celsius on a regular basis up in Canada? For me, Celsius is weird, 32 degrees C is hot but freezing in F. I'm used to 100 degrees being summer temp., and 0 being below freezing. I know you switched from miles to km's in Sept. 1977 there's a sign at the Canada border at Niagara Falls about the switch with the date. It says Metric Conversion. Also, it's hard to get used to km's when you're used to miles, thank God the US has no plans to switch. I'm from eastern PA.

Hey

Yeah, I'm still using 2004, as I've heard it's the best platform for route building. As far as the length of the route, I wanted to start off with something that wasn't too overwhelming, which is why I chose those two points - you need a start point and a finish point! lol There's always the potential for expansion in the future.

For the most part we're pretty metric up here, but as I know there are a lot of Americans on this forum, I like to try to use both systems, so as not to confuse people.

Thanks for the encouragement, and I'll keep everyone posted on any progress made.

n

Looking great Neil! I'm looking forward to this project too!

I personally never found the UMR very taxing on my computer in terms of framerates (once everything got loaded). It might take some time to load in some areas, but it performed to my satisfaction with the exception of a few places (I just paused to let the comp catch it's breath). I'm sure you've heard of (and used) David Drakes low poly buliding splines? I think those are pretty much a necessity for an urban route such as this (and why not as they look good and work quite well!).

I really liked some of those shots even if they are a work in progress. :cool: The gardner is looking rather...empty though...:hehe: Maybe they are preparing it for the Molson Indy? :D It'd be neat if someone made those rosebeds along the embankment near St. Joseph's hospital. :cool:

I think the Spadina yards will be tricky...especially the underpass. I have some pics of those if you need them Neil.

@ RWK - I too felt the '06 toronto layout was lacking, but keep in mind, it was meant to represent an earlier era (50's I believe) so a lot of things were different then. That's why I am really looking forward to this route. Perhaps if I had a lot of time in the future, I could try to make an addon from Union Station to Georgetown, but I doubt that will happen as I'm working on my own route which is taking forever. I'd also love to make some TTC streetcars/buses and GO transit booths as eye candy but I doubt that'd happen...as I don't have the time and skills...

As for metric vs. imperial...I don't want to upset others or cause a problem. I'm sure others have debated it before, but in my opinion I think the imperial system is outdated even though this map will probably use the imperial system. As far as I know, the rest of the world uses the metric system with the exception of England and America so the whole world can't be wrong! :D I also believe it's more scientific, so I'm all for it (as I'm a logical person). We do use celsius and meters up here along with imperial but...it just takes some getting used to. We go through the same problems when we visit down south. :D

My two cents for today...

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Hey Gisa

Yeah, I'm just approaching Exhibition right now, and heading for Union. I think you're right - it is going to be tough, especially considering that one part around spadina is lost in shadow from GoogleEarth, which is my main tool.

If you do have some pics of the area, I'm sure they'd be a big help! I'd really appreciate it.

If you'd like to email me, my address is neilsmith749@msn.com.

Thanks

n

Wow, this urban route looks like it will surpass the length of the city in my route, Rural to City.

Neilsmith, if you want a better road to use as the Gardiner, use these 3 seperate splines, found on the DLS.

freewayzy7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3lane_1way_leftside; 3lane_1way_rightside; Road divider USA. All by Atilabarut

Thanks TF

I'll look into those splines - I've always found the one thing lacking in Trainz is that there has never really been a good highway (at least I haven't found any yet).

This might just do the trick - thanks for the suggestion.

n

I have to post a correction here:

Neil, this looks alot better than the Toronto layout by TorontoTrainz. Is that version messed up or what? There's too many grade crossings on the mainline and there's no big yards and Toronto Union Station is on the ground, not elevated with bridges.

@ RWK - I too felt the '06 toronto layout was lacking, but keep in mind, it was meant to represent an earlier era (50's I believe) so a lot of things were different then.
Gisa ^^

The Toronto layout by TorontoTrainz that RWK is referring to is not the Toronto Rail Lands layout that is included with TRS2006.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled browsing.

Tom
(Toronto Rail Lands contributor)

Don't forget that fine emporium of lager and ale the "Blue Goose" which is
adjacent to the Mimico Station.

Loadman:D

Man, those look great transportfan! Thank you for the pic and kuid! :D I'll have to play around with them later! :cool:

@ Neil - I will try to email you this weekend. I'm stacked with work at the moment, but I've got a 5 day holiday coming up next week. I'm not sure how much the shots will help you, but it's something to look at.

@ Tom - OOPS! I did not know there was another Toronto based route! I'd love to check it out! Could you be so kind as to tell me it's kuid and what version of trainz it runs on? (I have all 3).

Gisa ^^

neilsmith749, that is a great looking route there, I hope you have 2006 so you can include some of the Toronto scenery from the Toronto Rail Land route that is still present today. I look forward to your rendition of the Toronto rail corridor as it is today.

@ Tom - OOPS! I did not know there was another Toronto based route! I'd love to check it out! Could you be so kind as to tell me it's kuid and what version of trainz it runs on? (I have all 3).

Gisa ^^

Hi Gisa,
The Toronto Rail Lands is a fairly accurate route set around 1954, it is a built-in layout in TRS2006.
A screenie looking east, the Spadina Ave bridge mid-screen with the CNR coach yard in the foreground and CNR roundhouse in the background.
The%20Yards.jpg

Another looking west toward Union Station and the Royal York Hotel.

Line%20up%20at%20Union%20Station.jpg

note: The TorontoTrainz version took great creative license with the Toronto landscape :p

Last edited:
Back