A Solution for the UNDO button in Trainz

It would be hell of a lot easier if you put the 'undo and redo button' back to where they were before. What exactly is the problem?
Macka
One thing I miss on this forum is instant user feedback. On some forums, you can give a "thumbs-up" or "winner" on the post. Here, I needed to Reply With Quote to show the post I thought was a winner.

Oh no. Please - not the Facebook "Like", "Dislike" icons. Then it becomes a phony popularity contest with all the baggage that brings. If some-one agrees with, likes, disagrees with, dislikes, your post then let them say so - like this post.

My opinions.

Tony did make a post on that very point. If I can recall correctly (it is early morning here) he mentioned that they restored the buttons in a build alpha only to encounter more problems as a result - i.e. the buttons did not work correctly. Like John stated in another post - "pull a thread here and something unravels there".

Is that really good programming practice?

• Remove a heavily used feature
  • Get a ton of complaints
  • Try to put the feature back
  • Encounter problems
  • Give up putting the feature back
  • Offer half-a***d workarounds

Is that really good programming practice?

My quote may have been mistaken (it may have been one of the other N3V gurus not Tony who mentioned the problem with returning the buttons - it was an early morning after a late night for me) but your comment illustrates a large part of the problem.

• "A heavily used feature"? Where are the stats to support that? I never used it (CTRL-Z always works in all the programs I use) but I am just one person.
  • "Get a ton of complaints"? Complaints there were, but a "ton". Many were repeat posts from the same individuals - that is not to say that their complaints should be ignored. As I pointed out in an earlier post - count the number of negative posters (individuals) in this thread, not the total number of posts.
  • They have not given up putting the feature back - where did you get that idea from?
  • What "half-a***d workarounds"? The posted program script for substituting a keystroke came from a user, not N3V. The keyboard substitutions in the Settings menu has always been a feature of Trainz. In either case none of these are a substitute for on-screen buttons.

People let their emotions get away with them as they do on many topics of discussion in these forums - subscriptions, DRM and copyright violations come quickly to mind. But that is understandable. Train hobbyists are a passionate and territorial lot. Trainz is more important than life or death. It has certainly kept me sane over the years, a refuge from an often stressful job (thankfully now retired).

Let N3V get on with their job of returning the "much loved" buttons in an orderly and timely manner with as few problems as possible.

My opinions.

Last edited:
I think "half a***d" is better translated as half implemented (work out for yourself what replaces the asterisks).

Back