Can you use a H shifter?

I was thinking I could use a H shifter to drive trains.

Such as R and 1 would be reverser, 2 and 3 as throttle and 4 and 5 as brake. Is this possible?

Just by the sensors in a shifter there is no variable sensitivity, it's just 0 or 1 in each gate (on or off). So you could at best only have full throttle or no throttle, full brake or no brake, and nothing in between, I would say almost useless. Unless you add a gas pedal or some other variable input control.

The shifter would work well as old-school British vacuum brake since you only need 3 positions for Apply, Lap and Release. Alot of other "single pole" functions such as horn, bell and sander could be assigned to a shifter.

H-Shifters won't work because they have six on/off switches. There is
CH Throttle Quadrant
but I'm not sure if this will work. It's possible to use XBOX gamepad with software like XPadder.

Just by the sensors in a shifter there is no variable sensitivity, it's just 0 or 1 in each gate (on or off). So you could at best only have full throttle or no throttle, full brake or no brake, and nothing in between, I would say almost useless. Unless you add a gas pedal or some other variable input control.

Couldn't I set it up so it works like a steam engine, pressing W keeps increasing the throttle, couldn't I set up something like that for all trains, every 1/2 second I hold the 'button' down it changes the value by 1?

Couldn't I set it up so it works like a steam engine, pressing W keeps increasing the throttle, couldn't I set up something like that for all trains, every 1/2 second I hold the 'button' down it changes the value by 1?

If you can map each of the 6 gates as keyboard strokes, maybe that would sorta work. Still would have to keep shifting into first to get the key to repeat.

Or there is the other thing, writing or modify an API. They still don't have Raildriver working for TANE yet, so it may not be an easy thing to accomplish.

Back