How to Q

valbridge

Rail Tragic
Being pretty close to finalising my first route [Blue Mountains Line] for uploading to the DLC I am wondering if there is any special requirements for the upload. The route is around 6MB and I will follow up with a few scenario's. Having never done this before not sure how to perform the task. Any help would be appreciated from the vets here.

If you downloaded any objects from places other than the DLS then I would validate the route to identify if any of those others were used and write a short text file to tell people where they came from. Nothing frustrates people more than having unknown dependencies when they install a route and not knowing where to find them.

For routes in TANE or later, I would advise you to add two more thumbnails (though at a bigger size then regular thumbnails).

What am I talking about?
Notice how the built-in routes have those nice 3 different images with the big one above and how you can click on them to change the bigger image? That is a new feature since TANE and only works for routes downloaded from the DLS. To make that happen, add 3 images to your route (so the current thumbnail plus 2 more). Make sure they are of a bit decent size else they will look ugly when stretched a bit.
This is a great way to show two more nice scenes from your route.

Note that you can do the same thing for your (future) sessions.

For routes in TANE or later, I would advise you to add two more thumbnails (though at a bigger size then regular thumbnails).

What am I talking about?
Notice how the built-in routes have those nice 3 different images with the big one above and how you can click on them to change the bigger image? That is a new feature since TANE and only works for routes downloaded from the DLS. To make that happen, add 3 images to your route (so the current thumbnail plus 2 more). Make sure they are of a bit decent size else they will look ugly when stretched a bit.
This is a great way to show two more nice scenes from your route.

Note that you can do the same thing for your (future) sessions.

How do I achieve that? At present when I add an image in surveyor for the route I just get one landscape image that honestly does not look that good. How do you get three images?

If you downloaded any objects from places other than the DLS then I would validate the route to identify if any of those others were used and write a short text file to tell people where they came from. Nothing frustrates people more than having unknown dependencies when they install a route and not knowing where to find them.

Yes, I concur. However, everything in this route has come from the DLS.

How do I achieve that?
How do you get three images?
Go over your route while in driver and shoot a bunch of decent looking screenshots.
Look them up on our HD and figure out what you think are the best 3 shots.
Go to "Manage Content", edit your route, and copy the images into it.
Edit the config file and add those images as part of the thumbnail structure.

If you need specific details, be more specific and we can try to help you :) .

Go over your route while in driver and shoot a bunch of decent looking screenshots.
Look them up on our HD and figure out what you think are the best 3 shots.
Go to "Manage Content", edit your route, and copy the images into it.
Edit the config file and add those images as part of the thumbnail structure.

If you need specific details, be more specific and we can try to help you :) .

Yep, will need some guidance with this. Have taken a series of images as suggested [not sure what you mean by HD]. But on entering the config file came to a sudden halt. Was not going to be shooting in the dark; much to much time and effort gone into this route for me to make some dumb mistake and screw it all, which almost happened prior during SP2 beta tester experimentation, so many error messages it wasn't funny.

I did see the thumbnail references in config file but reluctant to attempt anything without advice.

Over to you, if you can give me step by step it would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Well I managed to swap out one of the default thumbnail's for one of my own but can't figure how to put in multiples after several attempts at it and will you be able to see more than one picture in the session splash screen at one time ?
Please show the config file that works with more than one thumbnail if possible.....

Thanx,

RH001

Please show the config file that works with more than one thumbnail

Select any route that has more than one thumbnail image displayed in the route selection screen. In my case, it is 'C&O Hinton Division': your circumstance might be different. In Content Manager, select the route, right click and choose Open For Editing ... Edit Config File Text. In the edit window that opens, scroll down to the Thumbnails portion and note the multiple entries. Size your image to one of the sizes listed there (other than the default), and copy the container: that is, the thumbnail name (possibly a number) and everything down to and including the next closing bracket.

Code:
  {
    image                               "0093.jpg"
    width                               1280
    height                              800
  }

In Content Manager open your route for editing. In the edit folder, add your new thumbnail image to the folder, insert the copied container into the config.txt file at the correct position within the thumbnails container, with the filename you selected for your image file, and commit the route. Be sure to close the example config and revert the route that you looked at for the example.

This is, of course, all done after you have backed up the route, so there is no risk of damaging anything.

Last edited:
not sure what you mean by HD
HD = Hard Disk.

I did see the thumbnail references in config file but reluctant to attempt anything without advice.

Over to you, if you can give me step by step it would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Edit the config file in the most basic text editor you can find. I use the standard Notepad found on every Windows installation. Do NOT use Word or any other fancy tool.

Here is an example of one of my config files:

Code:
thumbnails
{
  {
    image                               "standard12_thumb01.jpg"
    width                               1024
    height                              768
  }

{
    image                               "standard12_thumb02.jpg"
  }

{
    image                               "standard12_thumb03.jpg"
  }
}
This is the related route: Standard12 v2.4, final (kuid2:645812:97701:4)

Don't get distracted by the sizes listed. You can have different sizes but I would recommend a 4:3 ratio.

can't figure how to put in multiples after several attempts at it and will you be able to see more than one picture in the session splash screen at one time ?
Note that the extra images will not show until you have uploaded and re-downloaded the route or session.
So you might have done it correct already, but you can't test it.
I know; a bit silly, but this is how N3V currently implemented it.

Well that last part answers a lot, I was wondering why my format was right but could not see multi pictures. Thanks for the clarification on that.

Back