Off topic: Not sure where to post this! How to get historical maps/vector data 'OSM/JOSM'?

use Tranzdem that is made for trainz and your using something that is not made for it
TransDEM, doesn't allow me to search historical maps, railway/roads gps data otherwise I wouldn't be here ;)

I know there's a way to obtain the railway gps data dating back to 2007'ish for the Carlingford and Newcastle railway lines. If I download the data now, I will get that garbage light rail gps data for both railway corridors. That being 'Current' data.

I already have both the Carlingford and Newcastle lines in TS Classic, but I want them in Trainz.. I can't convert TS Classic to Trainz or Trainz to TS Classic.. If only that were possible, I wouldn't be asking ;)

TransDEM, doesn't allow me to search historical maps, railway/roads gps data otherwise I wouldn't be here ;)

I know there's a way to obtain the railway gps data dating back to 2007'ish for the Carlingford and Newcastle railway lines. If I download the data now, I will get that garbage light rail gps data for both railway corridors. That being 'Current' data.

I already have both the Carlingford and Newcastle lines in TS Classic, but I want them in Trainz.. I can't convert TS Classic to Trainz or Trainz to TS Classic.. If only that were possible, I wouldn't be asking ;)

If you have access to historical topographic maps, you can use those instead. Built right into TransDEM is the ability to align and convert GeoPDF format images using the supplied GDAL program. If you are using images from a map-server, you can insert them directly onto the surface using map tiles. You can either trace off the route in TransDEM (not recommended), or export the maps on the terrain and place the tracks on the images. I do this the latter way so I can see the old grades and surrounding details rather than smear them over with a blue line that depicts the route, or has track in place.

That old data will not load in JOSM! Of course, when I download data in JOSM. It's all current data.
Get the data on the hard drive in a form that JOSM can accept then just load it in, File drop down menu, Open. You don't need to download anything directly into JOSM as you should know if you've been using JOSM for a while. It will even accept GPS tracks which was the original way OpenStreetMap was mapped.

Cheerio John

If you have access to historical topographic maps, you can use those instead. Built right into TransDEM is the ability to align and convert GeoPDF format images using the supplied GDAL program. If you are using images from a map-server, you can insert them directly onto the surface using map tiles. You can either trace off the route in TransDEM (not recommended), or export the maps on the terrain and place the tracks on the images. I do this the latter way so I can see the old grades and surrounding details rather than smear them over with a blue line that depicts the route, or has track in place.
I'll check up some tutorials on how to do this :) I'm still new learning TransDEM. Somehow, I've managed to get my first ever routes created in 1 day of owning TransDEM.
Thanks to everyone with all your helpful support :) I know it's a bit off topic to Trainz, but I really appreciate it :)

I'll check up some tutorials on how to do this :) I'm still new learning TransDEM. Somehow, I've managed to get my first ever routes created in 1 day of owning TransDEM.
Thanks to everyone with all your helpful support :) I know it's a bit off topic to Trainz, but I really appreciate it :)
I put this together some time ago for someone who needed help with TransDEM. You'll have to replace the source with your own national repository and ignore the US Geological Survey National Servers reference.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkuzBzLIoTefgb1m1enDSHOkZgUshA?e=JCZA4k

Isn't TransDEM amazing! Congratulations on doing what you did so quickly.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll never build a route by hand or only do that as a last resort.

Thanks heaps mate :) muchly appreciated! :)

I have released 2 TransDEM routes on the DLS LOL I wouldn't have the knowledge to complete them, I do have a fair understanding of route building though ;) I'm mostly concentrating on creating my other route projects in TS Classic as well as sorting out some Australian rolling stock :cool: Ever since I found the Illawarra South Coast route, Trainz keeps winning my heart over TS Classic LOL

Back