Off topic: Not sure where to post this! How to get historical maps/vector data 'OSM/JOSM'?

PhilChorusch01

I know this is off topic. I was wondering if someone would be able to help me obtain Australian railway vector data in JOSM using OSM historical maps. I seem to be running into dead ends finding such data..? Basically, I'm looking for vector data for the Hamilton to Newcastle heavy rail corridor to load up in TransDEM as well as the Carlingford line, pretty much all those excellent railway lines Gladys ruined on her 'REVENGE AGAINST THE RAILWAYS'.

So, if someone could help me locate where to download the entire Australia vector data and tell me how to load it in JOSM and be able to use it in TransDEM. That would be super AWESOME!!!

Regards,
Phil

I'm not quite sure what you mean by vector data. However https://osm-internal.download.geofabrik.de/index.html has the entire map available off line. You may need to cut it up to get the bit you want.

osmconvert64 e:\downloads\central-african-republic-latest-internal.osm.pbf -b=13.5241589,1.4829997,28.3557019,5 -o=f:\maps\central-african-republic1.osm

not Australia but it gives you the idea.

Cheerio John

Vector data = meaning roads and railways?? ... I think!
Central Africa won't help me on my quest LOL ;)
Then data you want is there but JOSM can't read .obf format. You will need osmconvert64 to extract the bit of the map you want, however it is very flexible, translation it can be a pain in the neck to use. The example I gave together with
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmconvert should help you sort it all out. On a system with 64 gigs of ECC memory any .osm file larger than 4 gigs isn't really workable.

To extract the rail and highway information first select a small area in JOSM to download, then open up the .osm file you created with osmconvert64, use select in JOSM to pick out the railway tracks, use drop down edit menu to find merge selection then merge your selection onto the other layer. Save the layer as a file.

If you haven't used JOSM before there is a learning curve.

Cheerio John

The data on that website is current, not going back to say '2007' as an example! I need data for roads and rail that I can import into JOSM. That's not current!
I've used JOSM many times ;) ;)

The data on that website is current, not going back to say '2007' as an example! I need data for roads and rail that I can import into JOSM. That's not current!
I've used JOSM many times ;) ;)
So you're asking for a source of data at a point in time?

If you look at the history of the data that might tell you when it was mapped but that's about the best I can suggest. Try the OSM forums or mailing list for sources of historical data in OSM format.

Bye John

Phil,

If your region offers historical topographic maps, aka ordinance maps, using TransDEM, you can place these in place on the terrain and use those to trace off where the old ROW and buildings were once located. TransDEM costs $40 AUD.

Once you've got the maps in place, you then export the route to a Trainz route you can import into Trainz and edit like any other route. You can go as far as to put tracks and roads in place but they will need a lot of clean-ups and fiddling with afterwards.

Phil,

If your region offers historical topographic maps, aka ordinance maps, using TransDEM, you can place these in place on the terrain and use those to trace off where the old ROW and buildings were once located. TransDEM costs $40 AUD.

Once you've got the maps in place, you then export the route to a Trainz route you can import into Trainz and edit like any other route. You can go as far as to put tracks and roads in place but they will need a lot of clean-ups and fiddling with afterwards.
I already own TransDEM ;)

I need to use it! JOSM, just doesn't allow me to download railway data for Trainz. I use JOSM for other useful things, I can use the railway data in TS Classic and make use of those buildings, platforms and more ;) ;)
Do you have the latest JOSM extractor?

You also need Java 8.9 make sure you have the latest version.

Hopefully, that will be the answer, or as I used to say in tech-support. That should work. I never said will because that meant it wouldn't. :)

Step one is find a source. Try the OpenStreetMap mailing lists or forums for a source.

Step two is convert it so it will load.

Step three is load it into JOSM.

Microsoft OpenJDK works nicely rather than use JAVA which might still be banned on US government machines because of security concerns.

Cheerio John

Useful information mate :) Just doesn't help me to obtain old Australian railway data to be able to load it in JOSM, Hence so I could copy and paste it to a new layer of the tracks I want to load up in TransDEM

I really appreciate everyone's help :) :) It's a shame that I never discovered JOSM a few years back 'like pre-2007' I would of downloaded a lot of railway data then. I guess I better download entire Australia before it all changes LOL

Useful information mate :) Just doesn't help me to obtain old Australian railway data to be able to load it in JOSM, Hence so I could copy and paste it to a new layer of the tracks I want to load up in TransDEM

I really appreciate everyone's help :) :) It's a shame that I never discovered JOSM a few years back 'like pre-2007' I would of downloaded a lot of railway data then. I guess I better download entire Australia before it all changes LOL
What you can do is grab the map. Then inspect each line with <Crtl>h which will tell you when it was first mapped.

You can also do a google search for old data.

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/167690/downloading-historical-openstreetmap-data is one result.

Cheerio John

Back