.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 79

Thread: My CSA Challenger, NYC H10b Mikado and PRR T-1 Projects

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States of America, TX, Houston
    Posts
    754
     

    Default

    You can export it to 3ds, import in gmax, and export with trainz asset creation studio(and, yes, I tried it, and it worked)

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Posts
    5,712
    Blog Entries
    6
     

    Default

    Good just watch out for the poly count as Gmax has a limit of around 35,000 or so, I have not used Gmax in 8 years so I could be off some.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States of America, TX, Houston
    Posts
    754
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitepass View Post
    Good just watch out for the poly count as Gmax has a limit of around 35,000 or so, I have not used Gmax in 8 years so I could be off some.
    I'll watch out.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States of America, TX, Houston
    Posts
    754
     

    Default

    Were the CSA challengers ever greyhound painted?
    And, (excluding the headlight) what are the differences from the front frame of the upgraded CSA challengers, and the late model challengers.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    873
     

    Default

    The early UP Challengers where exclusively freight locomotives. they never had the Greyhound livery applied.

    The differences on the pilot between the early and late Challengers post-modification are few and none. After the rebuild to bring them in line with the latest Challengers and Big Boys, the CSA's received these large covers over the air compressors. The distinct difference is that the late Challengers had grates on the covers as well as small doors for access.

    Also they still lacked the UP shield, anywhere on the locomotive.

    Early Challenger models. Notice the much more open pilot and more exposed air compressors.


    Post rebuild #3707. The light covers have been replaced by a large plate covering up the air compressors.



    Late model 4664-5, UP 3941, one of the last Challengers constructed. Notice the grates on the pilot.


    "Up The Hill Slow, Down The Hill Fast. Freight Comes First, Safety Comes Last"

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Republic of California
    Posts
    7,764
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dundun92 View Post
    Were the CSA challengers ever greyhound painted?
    And, (excluding the headlight) what are the differences from the front frame of the upgraded CSA challengers, and the late model challengers.
    http://utahrails.net/up/ttg-challengers.php

    Timeline for TTG steam locomotives

    Early 1946 - Dec. 1946 Two Tone Gray with Silver Gray striping and lettering

    Dec. 1946 - Mid 1949 TTG with Armor Yellow striping and lettering

    Mid 1949 - mid 1952 TTG with Silver Gray striping and lettering (some locomotives were not repainted to Black and Silver until as late as 1954)

    In addition to the 10 Challengers there were 45 Northerns (4-8-4), 60 Mountains (4-8-2), and 14 Pacifics (4-6-2) also there is some evidence that at least a few yard switchers were gussied up with TTG.
    Last edited by normhart; December 29th, 2016 at 12:56 AM.
    The United State's Health Care System ranks 37th in the world just behind Costa Rica.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States of America, TX, Houston
    Posts
    754
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylightrain View Post
    The early UP Challengers where exclusively freight locomotives. they never had the Greyhound livery applied.

    The differences on the pilot between the early and late Challengers post-modification are few and none. After the rebuild to bring them in line with the latest Challengers and Big Boys, the CSA's received these large covers over the air compressors. The distinct difference is that the late Challengers had grates on the covers as well as small doors for access.

    Also they still lacked the UP shield, anywhere on the locomotive.

    Early Challenger models. Notice the much more open pilot and more exposed air compressors.


    Post rebuild #3707. The light covers have been replaced by a large plate covering up the air compressors.



    Late model 4664-5, UP 3941, one of the last Challengers constructed. Notice the grates on the pilot.

    Thanks for the info! I don't think the CSA Challengers were exclusive freight engines, as I have actually seen pictures in an book of CSA Challenger 3805 pulling the Pacific limited out of Denver, Colorado.


    Quote Originally Posted by normhart View Post
    http://utahrails.net/up/ttg-challengers.php

    Timeline for TTG steam locomotives

    Early 1946 - Dec. 1946 Two Tone Gray with Silver Gray striping and lettering

    Dec. 1946 - Mid 1949 TTG with Armor Yellow striping and lettering

    Mid 1949 - mid 1952 TTG with Silver Gray striping and lettering (some locomotives were not repainted to Black and Silver until as late as 1954)

    In addition to the 10 Challengers there were 45 Northerns (4-8-4), 60 Mountains (4-8-2), and 14 Pacifics (4-6-2) also there is some evidence that at least a few yard switchers were gussied up with TTG.
    Thanks as well!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    873
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dundun92 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I don't think the CSA Challengers were exclusive freight engines, as I have actually seen pictures in an book of CSA Challenger 3805 pulling the Pacific limited out of Denver, Colorado.
    I probably should have phrased that better. I meant the CSA Challengers weren't designed with regular passenger operations in mind so they never carried the greyhound paint scheme. Even so, I have no doubt the UP would use the Challengers on passenger trains as helpers or as the main motive power for that train. I know for a fact that the have used other articulateds as well on passenger trains.

    Exibit A: A 2-8-8-0 Bull Moose doubleheading with a 4-8-2 Mountain. Must have been a pretty heavy train over a short distance as the 2-8-8-0 only had a top speed around 25 mph.


    "Up The Hill Slow, Down The Hill Fast. Freight Comes First, Safety Comes Last"

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States of America, TX, Houston
    Posts
    754
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daylightrain View Post
    I probably should have phrased that better. I meant the CSA Challengers weren't designed with regular passenger operations in mind so they never carried the greyhound paint scheme. Even so, I have no doubt the UP would use the Challengers on passenger trains as helpers or as the main motive power for that train. I know for a fact that the have used other articulateds as well on passenger trains.

    Exibit A: A 2-8-8-0 Bull Moose doubleheading with a 4-8-2 Mountain. Must have been a pretty heavy train over a short distance as the 2-8-8-0 only had a top speed around 25 mph.

    I'm assuming the 2-8-8-0 had already been rebuilt as simple?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States of America, TX, Houston
    Posts
    754
     

    Default

    Would anyone mind if I included a Greyhound CSA challenger(with and without elephant ears/smoke deflectors) in my CSA challenger pack?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    United States of America, Iowa
    Posts
    375
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dundun92 View Post
    Would anyone mind if I included a Greyhound CSA challenger(with and without elephant ears/smoke deflectors) in my CSA challenger pack?
    Create what you want to create, if you want to add a greyhound challenger with "elephant ears", go for it!
    My attitude =/= The Back Shop's Attitude
    Models, Scripts and dependencies.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States of America, TX, Houston
    Posts
    754
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USSc1798 View Post
    Create what you want to create, if you want to add a greyhound challenger with "elephant ears", go for it!
    Ok! Also I have a question. I was attempting to make the wheels for the challenger by modifying Bdaneals 2-8-2 bogeys.
    First, I resized the drivers(which worked out well). Since I'm using alpha texturing to make the holes for the bopox drivers, I used the cap holes modifier to fill in the holes formed by the spoked drivers. When I use the unwrap UV modifier, I discovered that the uv coordinates for the capped part of the mesh was rotated edge-on. Is there any way to flip it flat end-first?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    United States of America, Iowa
    Posts
    375
     

    Default

    Would it be possible for you to share with us a screenshot of this to help us get a better look at it?
    My attitude =/= The Back Shop's Attitude
    Models, Scripts and dependencies.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States of America, TX, Houston
    Posts
    754
     

    Default


  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States of America, TX, Houston
    Posts
    754
     

    Default

    Uptrainz is proud to announce its next 4 projects: A Payware Southern Ps4, a Freeware PRR H9 and I1, and a Payware NYC J3a with Commodore Vanderbilt and Dreyfuss casings.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •