Cumbres and Toltec D&RGW

Wilsongineer

Hello,

I recently accidentally deleted my 60% finished Cumbres and Toltec Route on the DEM version off the DLS. Would anyone be able to help me and have this route under construction that I could use and continue to build? I have countless hours in it already and would love to not have to start from scratch again.

Many thanks,
Wilsongineer

What version of Trainz are you using and how recently did you delete it?
It might still be in your daily saves (or whatever they are called).

How did you delete it? Was it in Content Manager? Check in Content Manager to see if you have a "autosave".cdp of the route.

If you have a .cdp "autosave" in Contents Manager, check to see if the size of the autosave .cpd is approximately the same size as your 60% completed route.

When you have launched your version of Trainz, check in the "Route column" as to whether or not you have a Route called "autosave" (Years ago I accidentally deleted a route that I was working on. I was able to recover everything by open this "autosave" .cdp of the route)...

As a last resort, do a full Database Repair, then see if the deleted route is showing again.

Good luck.

Cheers, Mac...

If you deleted the route within the last 7 days and you have backups turned on for 7-days maximum you might be in luck.

Check your Backups folder.

Go to the folder where TS12 is installed - usually C:\Program File s(x86)\N3V Games\TS12.
Go to User Data folder.
Go to Backups folder.

In the Backups folder, the folders are arranged by date in DD-MM-YY format, meaning it's 16-09-16 for yesterday.

In the folders is additional folders which might have edit x9085xEf or something like that. One of these might be your route, but there's more....

Check for a folder that begins with your Kuid and part of the name like this:

kuid 124863 100339 Enfield Rail Revision

Here's the one from my current route I've been working on. It doesn't have the complete name, but it's enough to know what it is.

To restore the route, knocking on wood you found it, simply start Content Manager and drag this folder into a CM window.

The data will be restored.

You might have to check the Open for Edit tab and commit the route if it's there, but you should be all set to go from there.

Now for the lecture:

I can't stress this enough. This is why backups are so important. A simple backup to an external device - a USB hard drive is highly recommended because of the space available works for this - by copying your User Data folder to the drive will work wonders and save you a lot of time and worry. A great program for this, and free too, is Fast Copy.

https://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

External drives are inexpensive today. You can get an 8TB external drive for about $350 or half that for a 4TB!

The reason for a simple copy is this will give you access to your files without needing a special backup/restore program, which may or may not work or require a special install to operate. These programs are not always reliable and have been known to go through the motions of backing up data and failing all without displaying an error message.

In addition to backing up the whole User Data folder, make periodic backups of your important routes. Use Content Manager and create a CDP of the route and session if available. There are various naming conventions you can use which will help. I use the Route Name --- version ---- date backed up.cdp format.

Perform the backup frequently - at the minimum of once a week. Using Fast Copy, you can perform what is called a Diff copy, which means only the data that has changed will be backed up. The initial backup will take the longest, however, all others will be much quicker and the time will vary depending upon how much data you have to backup.

With this safety net in place, you will not worry about losing important data since it will always be available.

Is it listed in surveyor under your own KUID?
If so, chances are you didn't delete it at all but instead removed the favorite flag and you are only showing favorites. Check the star in game.

I did find the route in my content manager. How do I restore it?

All is not lost then...

Is the found route .cdp in Contents Manager showing as "warning" of "faulty" ???

Make sure you save the "found" route .cdp in Content Manager before you do anything else...

Find the route .cdp in Content Manager, right click on it (or highlight it, then Ctrl+Shift+D) then "Save as .cdp". (Note where you save the .cpd to).

Now, no matter what, you have a copy of the route .cdp that you can always import into your current version of Trainz (or higher) should the current route .cdp somehow disappear.

Cheers, Mac...

Thanks for your help. I did save it as .cpd. Where should I save it?

I am quite sure I deleted it off the surveyor list accidentally but It is listed at faulty in the Content Manager

What should I do next?

Thanks again for your help!

When you do find your backup of your route, you will (like all of us) remember to backup your route on an external HD, or save as a CDP every once in awhile

Thanks for your help. I did save it as .cpd. Where should I save it?

I am quite sure I deleted it off the surveyor list accidentally but It is listed at faulty in the Content Manager

What should I do next?

Thanks again for your help!

If you have the CDP....

Open up Content Manager.

Drag the CDP into Content Manager.

In the event that the CDP doesn't install that way:

Click on File on the menu.
Click on Import CDP...

Browse to where you saved the CDP to.
Click on it.
Click Open to install.

The route is already listed in my Content Manager but doesnt show up in my route list in game. It is faulty, is that why? how do I fix that?

Last edited:
The route is already listed in my Content Manager but doesnt show up in my route list in game. It is faulty, is that why? how do I fix that?

There are three causes.

1) It's open for edit.

Check Content Manager and Open for Edit tab.

If it appears in there highlight and press CTRL+M to commit.

2) It's faulty and won't load.

Check Content Manager

If this is the case, list the error here by viewing the errors and warnings and post the message here if there are any errors.

3) It's installed but you clicked on the star next to its name and this removed the route from your favorites.

Click on the gold star at the very top to show all the routes not marked favorite. Your route should appear there if this is the case.

Click the gold star next to the route and this will now make it a favorite.

Click the gold star at the very top to only show favorite routes.

Back