Article: Trainz “the Next Era”

Thanks Tony for the info, and update of NV3 status, we all have to move forward, and good wishes

Thank you, Tony. Not just for removing the DRM from the core game, but also for caring and for listening to your customers.

I'd also like to thank the team, including those leaving, for creating and keeping Trainz such a great sim.

Thanks Tony and good luck with the restructured team.
Hopefully this will put the DRM issue to bed - we can dream!

Just hope you are looking at the content compatibility issue as a must fix - sort out now!!!???

Will you release an Open GL version anytime soon? My system likes Open GL better than Direct X (for some weird reason).

And thanks to all you guys at N3V.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks go to you, Tony, and all the members of the N3V team. I will be looking forward to working towards building the best simulator around!

Thanks for your update, as I have limited internet access will be looking forward to the updated disc for Tane.

Macka

Great news about DRM, and being open about the future, just a bit sad that some people will lose their jobs, just hope they find work quickly.
Again thanks for the update.

rail

Thank you for listening....

Thank you Tony, I hope this will end the "excitement" in the forum and quiten it down considerably. Thank you for listening to us, who had been somewhat vocal about various issues and now to changing some of these concerns.

My best wishes to the team members leaving and a big thank you all for steering T:ANE towards the goal we all want it to be.

VinnyBarb

Never saw that coming, but whatever. Hope it ends the bi-polar debate on the forums. I certainly prefer DRM free. But I remain by my earlier stance, if you guys feel it'll help against anti-piracy, with in the realm of certain standards, I'll live with some things. ke sera sera.

I'm curious about the re-structure? Was this "Well Jimmy, you packed the wrong CDs, so bye bye"? Or was this more like "Sorry guys, they didn't want DRM, so no more DRM Department"? Company restructure's make me nervous, as there are so many possible reasons that can cause them. Also Lay-Offs + promises of continuing service makes me worry as well. I trust ya'll, but makes one worry none the less.

-Falcus

This looks like a positive step forward and should allow focus on the game/simulator itself rather than perceived negative aspects. This can only be a good thing.

I do regret the loss of staff positions and wish those who are leaving the very best for the future.

Paul

So just exactly where does this leave me? My pre-ordered (last August) Collectors Edition hasn't even arrived here yet so of course it is presumably still in virgin condition somewhere out there.

Could someone just do a simple step by step guide for dummies like me, please. Frankly, I'm totally bamboozled.

Thanks -if anyone cares.

NOOJEE31

The words 'company restructure' sound familiar :( and although a reduction in staff numbers was inevitable post Kickstarter lets hope this does not go too far. Thanks to those departing for all their hard work and good luck with the future.

I'm not anti DRM in principle but I think the decision to remove it is a good one given the amount of concern it has generated. Perhaps a little subtle anti piracy propaganda would help to minimise piracy in the future ? How about a piracy reporting hotline (email) setup ?

Chris

Thanks for the information Tony.

Is it permissible for the community to know who remains at N3V and what their responsibilities will be?

If Chris got the bullet us Mac owners (I own a Mac by the way ;)) will be quaking in our footwear. Thanks and good fortune to those who have worked on Trainz and now moved on.

PS Finally got a straight answer to a straight question.

Last edited:
One would assume that extra bums were put in seats to achieve Tane build and release etc - now that's done - short term contracts are up!

Maybe it's just my pessimistic nature, but I don't see the announcement of what appears to be a significant downsizing following a troubled release which looks as if it struggled for resources and missed the target date as particularly good news. Where does it leave further enhancement/optimisation of the new graphics engine to deliver the original target graphics, or the other new features, in a timely manner (which is what will be needed to attract new customers and ongoing FCT subs)? The removal of DRM from TANE is in effect the killswitch referred to earlier that allows the basic programme to continue working should N3V go belly up. (I guess my Steam version will continue to work regardless).

Hedging my bets it seems that any major route projects at present are best contemplated in TS2010 out the box (patched) which contains enough resources that a finished route can be produced without any DLS content and hosted elsewhere, as a guarantee against the DLS suddenly not being there. I know Tony has said that isn't going to happen, but better safe than sorry.

Hopefully N3V can come through this difficult period as, despite my love/hate relationship with the programme, the demise ofTrainz would be a loss to the wider hobby.

Tony, please don't forget to put the issue of self-illuminated signal lights texture to the top of the bug-fix list for the next patch! This bug is critical for Signaling systems from Romania and Russia!

Have to agree with you Falcus.................... Restructuring after Target Funding Reached = NOT GOOD NEWS

Removing DRM (which I am in agreement with) for anti-piracy but only following a close time frame of a new release should be considered.......
I think this is spelling potential: NOT GOOD NEWS..................

Gut Feelings, but not confirmed.........

Thanks for the support guys, and the pessimistic angles too - can't have everyone seeing the glass half full now can we ;)

We'll be releasing more info on structure, plans etc in good time - lot's of mundane things right now to ensure our ex-staff are looked after. Having recently been to my 80 year old father's funeral, this day was pretty much the same but without the emotional release of the wake. Seeing the support here certainly helped a little.

And just in case you've missed the other Trainz news today - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p94L0tXb1PQ

Back