NE Mass Route -page 12

steamboateng

NE Mass Route – page 12

In Defense of DEM's
Fellow Trainzers, Trainz fans, Bloggers and Trolls............
Those of you that have followed this blustery blog know that the NE Mass Route was generated in TransDEM. It covers approximately 1800 base boards in a 52 by 46 mile quadrant of northeastern Massachusetts. Such aroute would never had been even contemplated if it weren't for aprogram such as TransDEM!
Most of us have settled into Trainz because it is such an open ended program.A program that opens frontiers in creativity and imagination for all; on many levels! Admittedly, there are those who simply like to run trains. No argument there, that's why most of us are into the hobby.The route creators and content creators keep the hobby moving on. But many also give to us, the majority of Trainzer's, their creative gifts, on the DLS. Gifts well appreciated.
Many route creators use a DEM program to lay the foundations of their scenery. Some prefer to follow a prototype route. Many opt for totally fictitious routes and carriers! I certainly don't fault them for imagination or planning.
I useTrans/TrainzDEM. I'm very satisfied with the program and its ease ofuse. It was built to compliment Trainz and it does an excellent job of it. The program has the ability to generate hundreds of miles of terrain, with maps and routes applied, in just a few hours! I recommend this program to any Trainzer who wishes their terrain to be as Mother made it!
Any implication that this is a sterile approach to route building is outrageous! It is Mother Nature's work, after all, that the program models! It is ourselves, in the end, that dress Mother in her appealing garb. If I can do her some justice, I am well pleased. Ican only trust she forgives my ignorance and occasional faux pas in the ways of fauna and foliage.................
Generating a DEM route in Trainz is a rewarding experience. Sure, it's a technical challenge in itself, but beyond that it's an exercise in organization and planning. And any layman who has jumped the hurdles of cartographic linguistics certainly deserves a credit or two. They have also mastered the art of Google; researching and collecting all those maps and photos! Then there are the those that have mastered the intricacies of manipulating Google Earth; defining those often subtle lumps and bumps; and some even choosing to lay those vivid images across Mother' shapely DEM curves.
For some strange reason (ignorance, most likely), some seem to think that laying down the DEM in Trainz is all there is to it. This definitely is not so. Mother Nature, in all her beauty can be a curvacious beast; and unless your modeling Area 51, a flat surface is almost nonexistent! Aside from the tedious tasks of laying roadbed (and deciphering map information for the placement and elevation of cuts and fills), laying horizontal roads, nudging a Sears bungalow to sit on a hill, etc, etc.; one still has to paint Mother in her most appropriate attire. Green is generally a good color to start with,but hardly the last ….........
Need I say more?

We're off soon for summer vacation, Virginia's Massanuten, DC and Orlando being our primary targets. We're leaving the dog, a wambat and one responsible offspring home, to shoot nosy neighbors and roust inquisitive furry things.
I doubt I'll post again until August as the Chief Mate is somewhat demanding of my undivided attention when on such excursions.
Regards to all. Have a fun Summer. And thanks again for dropping by.

PS: I will continue with wetland modeling upon my return.

mbk
6/24/12

I agree with that. I just picked TransDEM up and have only scratched the surface of it. In that I have only done one little test route with it. And, other then one problem that I cant figure out, I am more then 100% satisfied. And I look forward to building some fantastic routes with it.

Ask away on the Forums. There are plenty of TransDEM users who may be able to help.; and Dr. Z is almost always available for comment.
Personally, I find TransDEM to be the one most powerful tool which opens a whole new dimension in route creation.

Back