Who Wants Some Money!!?!

Kegg_Works

Well, hopefully that got all of your attention!

Hey all, and I am honestly asking who wants some money! But there is a small-ish catch here. Without beating around the bush I am looking to make a locomotive commission with someone. Preferably someone who will do a QUALITY job and make a finely detailed model for Trainz. This commission is a part of a large project I'm working on, of which I will go into brief detail.

The project is recreating the United Verde & Pacific Railroad, a 3ft gauge 26 mile long common carrier in central Arizona. It's a unique line which features a standard gauge interchange at the western terminus, a generally flat and strait western half, and an extremely rugged, twisting and winding eastern half which terminates in Jerome, AZ. The railroad's facilities about 50 feet above the copper smelter that was once there. The UV&P employed the exclusive use of Baldwin built 2-6-0s as they had wheelbases short enough to negotiate the sharp, flange squalling curves of the railroad. Below are some photos of the locomotives being mentioned.

1024px-United_Verde_%26_Pacific_Railway_Locomotive_Number_2.jpg

The above photo is of engine #2, part of the first "batch" of Moguls ordered by the UV&P. Note the Vouclain compound cylinders and uneven driver spacing. (As well as the locomotive's overall color scheme)

589_281723_430000000.jpg

This next photo is of UV&P #8, part of the second batch of engines ordered by the UV&P. These engines are the ones I am most interested in commissioning. Engines 2 and 3 were of the first batch of locomotives, however they were replaced with the larger design pictured above. So models of engines 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are what I am hoping to commission.

I have a series of photos I've been able to accumulate as well as scale drawings for engine #5 as-built by Baldwin in 1905. The locomotives originally had low sitting wooden cabs and Stephenson Valve Gear. The locomotive did not last long with this configuration and were later rebuilt as you see above with #8. (#8 was the only engine to be delivered with a steel cab and Walschaerts Valve Gear from the builder, or at least that's what my research as shown) Unfortunately I do not have drawings for the locomotives after their rebuilds, but I believe the supplied photos and references I hope would be enough to model them in this appearance, which is also their most common look throughout their operating careers. However if that is too difficult the As-Built configuration will suffice.

In any case, I am very much looking for someone to create these locomotives for me and perhaps some generic versions as well. The design of these engines were done exclusively for the UV&P and were not a standard Baldwin Catalog model. That said I still think some may find these unique, massive domed Moguls useful on their own freelance narrow gauge pikes.

Feel free to respond to this thread, but for all serious inquires please send me a private message. From there we can work out particulars and the compensation for your time and effort. As well as other contact info so I can sent you the drawings and references needed. (Oh, and I have a digital copy of the Baldwin Spec sheet for these very locomotives. That should prove useful with scripting.)

Anyway, thanks in advance for your consideration and I look forward to any an all responses. :D

I look forward to any an all responses. :D
Since you want "quality", I like to do some math for you, just so you know what will be coming at you...

Making a (steam) engine will take 6-12 months work. Lets assume 6 months. That is 26 weeks x 40 hours of work or 1040 hours.
Even if you can find some who will do it for $5.- per hour, it would cost you at least $5200, but I doubt anyone is crazy enough to do it for a hobby even as low as $20/hour plus probably will only do it part-time (so easily taking 1+ years to make).

... and based on your time-line it will also have to be for TS2006. Well, for that money you can probably throw in a newer version on the side.

I wish you good luck and wisdom.

A 2-6-0 huh.. Pretty cool!
Sorry. Unfortunately, I'm new to the Content Creation Industry, so I won't be able to make something like this for a while.. Maybe I can create a few of the parts/assets.
Like what Ken mentioned, try asking trainboi1, since he has a nice collection of high quality content for Trainz. :)

Since you want "quality", I like to do some math for you, just so you know what will be coming at you...

Making a (steam) engine will take 6-12 months work. Lets assume 6 months. That is 26 weeks x 40 hours of work or 1040 hours.
Even if you can find some who will do it for $5.- per hour, it would cost you at least $5200, but I doubt anyone is crazy enough to do it for a hobby even as low as $20/hour plus probably will only do it part-time (so easily taking 1+ years to make).

... and based on your time-line it will also have to be for TS2006. Well, for that money you can probably throw in a newer version on the side.

I wish you good luck and wisdom.

Well I somewhat shot myself in the foot here. I've actually upgraded to TRS12 already and have forgotten to update my profile. That said, a commission is not the same thing as hiring someone full time to build a Trainz model. I understand full well that it takes time and effort, and I am quite a patient individual. If it is to take a year+ I can wait. If I had the knowledge or expertise than I would have attempted to build the locomotives myself, but alas I do not. (however I do plan on learning at some point)

I have spoken with Trainboi and yes, he does offer some wonderful content! However I have approached him previously and respectfully declined. He has a number of projects on his plate ranging from the Carson & Colorado 4-4-0s to the Central Pacific's 4-6-0s and even the infamous 4-10-0 "El Gobernador". All of which I look forward to when he eventually releases them. Although he has agreed to "kitbash" one of his C&S moguls for another project, but only because only minimal changes would be required. (Check out my thread on the Carson Car Shops forum if you're interested)

http://carsoncarshops.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=437

Anyway, these UV&P moguls are pretty unique and I think would be welcome among the Trainz Narrow Gauge community as well as aid with my UV&P project.

Well I somewhat shot myself in the foot here. I've actually upgraded to TRS12 already and have forgotten to update my profile. That said, a commission is not the same thing as hiring someone full time to build a Trainz model. I understand full well that it takes time and effort, and I am quite a patient individual. If it is to take a year+ I can wait. If I had the knowledge or expertise than I would have attempted to build the locomotives myself, but alas I do not. (however I do plan on learning at some point)

I have spoken with Trainboi and yes, he does offer some wonderful content! However I have approached him previously and respectfully declined. He has a number of projects on his plate ranging from the Carson & Colorado 4-4-0s to the Central Pacific's 4-6-0s and even the infamous 4-10-0 "El Gobernador". All of which I look forward to when he eventually releases them. Although he has agreed to "kitbash" one of his C&S moguls for another project, but only because only minimal changes would be required. (Check out my thread on the Carson Car Shops forum if you're interested)

http://carsoncarshops.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=437

Anyway, these UV&P moguls are pretty unique and I think would be welcome among the Trainz Narrow Gauge community as well as aid with my UV&P project.

It would probably take you three months to learn Blender and say nine months to roll your own, so I'd say you could probably do it in a year. Other than that $20,000 would be a reasonable price for the work involved. A warning when you commision work it doesn't always turn out as you expected its very much a gamble.

Cheerio John

WOW thats my great grandfather the engineer George McMillan in Jerome Arizona

I too want to find a model of this train please let me know if you had any luck?!

The "time to make" listed above are way off, engine #2 and #8 are not the same that's two locos to make and probably no plans so I would think 2 years if you know what you are doing, for a beginner 4 to 5 years.

Back