What should a Multi-player Session Look Like?

Dap

Prototype Operations Guru
I have participated in quite a few multi-player operating session over the years with model railroads from N scale to 7-½” live steam. I think we would do well to adopt some organizational standards from these successful gatherings. To that end, I have put together a sample Posting of a multi-player session that I would be willing to host.

I am looking for comments - pro & con. Is this the level of organization you would like to see in a multiplayer Op Session?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Op Session for Krashnburne

Tuesday 7pm - 10pm CDT

Operation Plan:
- Switch engines stationed at Krashnburne Yard and at Port Yard to service local industries
- Eastbound and Westbound trains depart from Krashnburne Yard servicing industries along the way as instructed by Train Order

Jobs available:
Host/Dispatcher - manages session, issues train orders __position filled_______

Krashnburne Yard Switcher - makes up trains and services freight house, MOW, Container & TOFC Terminal and Anchor Flour Mill. This is a yard crew position and is confined to Krashnburne Yard Limits _position filled by___ff503750________

Port Switcher - services Port Industries and Phoenix Foundry except for coal and iron ore. This is a yard crew position and is confined to Port Yard Limits and PH Foundry __Position filled by____von hammer 87_______

Road Crew1 - runs trains East or West from Krashnburne, servicing industries along the way. Will run multiple trains during operating session as assigned by the Dispatcher. __Position filled by francis5653__

Road Crew2 - runs trains East or West from Krashnburne, servicing industries along the way. Will run multiple trains during operating session as assigned by the Dispatcher. _ Position filled by Danny5 _________

Road Crew3 - runs trains East or West from Krashnburne, servicing industries along the way. Will run multiple trains during operating session as assigned by the Dispatcher. _position filled by Philskene________

Sampling of various trains that may be run:

EB1 - Eastbound Train One - the wood and fuels run
Pick up log cars from Krashnburne Freight Depot
Take to Drysort 1 to load (do not go on log dump with loads unless you mean to unload them there!)
Pick up one GB&W boxcar from yard track
With clearance from Dispatcher, proceed East to Multi Mfg
Pick up 2 tank cars from fuel siding
Proceed to Woodwurm work siding
fill tank cars you brought and tanks cars on Stoopid1 siding
Unload all tank cars at Woodwurm Fuel
Return to tank cars Stoopid to fill
Deliver logs to Woodwurm2
With GB&W boxcar, pick-up UP flatcar and GB&W boxcar at west end of Woodwurm 3
Stop boxcars at Woodwurm3 to pick up general goods
Unload UP flatcar logs to Woodwurm2
Load UP flatcar at Woodwurm1
With clearance from Dispatcher, Proceed Eastward with all cars to Port Passing Siding.
Do not proceed until dispatcher has granted track and time at Steptoe where you will stop your train on the main and deliver a tank car to the Steptoe Fuel track and pick up the tank car that is there.
With clearance from Dispatcher, Proceed to Krashnburne Yard
Drop train where directed by Yardmaster

WB1 - Westbound Train One - Coal & Ore
Pick up 2 GONX gons loaded with scrap from Lakeside Spur 2
Pickup and load 3 WL&G hoppers at Minerals Load
With clearance from Dispatcher, proceed West to Steptoe and back complete train onto Steptoe Scrap where scrap will be unloaded. Then pick up 2 gons from short spur and add to train without using the main.
With clearance from Dispatcher, proceed West to Phoenix Jct and back into PHFoundry2 to unload coal hoppers at PHFoundry2.
With clearance from Dispatcher, proceed West to Lakeside Main.
Drop three gons on Spur 2
With clearance from Dispatcher, proceed with 3 hoppers and one gon to Minerals Load. Using Commodity picker, label gon for Iron Ore. Load all cars.
With clearance from Dispatcher, run around train
With clearance from Dispatcher, proceed East to Multi Mfg Work siding
Run around train and unload coal and ore at Multi Mfg 2
With clearance from Dispatcher, proceed West to Lakeside Main
Drop 3 hoppers on Lakeside Spur2 and pickup two gons.
With clearance from Dispatcher, proceed with 3 gons to Minerals Load.
Using Commodity Picker, label gons for Iron Ore. Load all cars.
With clearance from Dispatcher, proceed West to Phoenix Jct
Back into PHFoundry3 to unload gons
Run around train on foundry tracks.
With clearance from Dispatcher, back onto main and proceed East to Krashnburne Yard
Drop train where directed by Yardmaster

There are more train orders. This is just a sampling of what to expect.

Last edited:
I've got you down for the yard crew. Since there is no yard master, that gives you some of that authority. However, you also have to run an engine and get some work done and not just sit behind a desk like a Yardmaster would. Read the job descriptions in post 1.

I've got you down for the yard crew. Since there is no yard master, that gives you some of that authority. However, you also have to run an engine and get some work done and not just sit behind a desk like a Yardmaster would. Read the job descriptions in post 1.

HAHA OK.:p

I am looking for comments - pro & con. Is this the level of organization you would like to see in a multiplayer Op Session?

Hi Dap

Kudos to you for bringing trainz mutiplayer into realtime railroad operations. Also it nice to see that u are starting out with a small route. I have only run that route a couple of times, and get lost easily. So on that note I would like to watch.

Strongly recommended Teamspeak 3 for communication. It would make your job a whole lot easier.

Cheers

Get lost - never!

"Also it nice to see that u are starting out with a small route. I have only run that route a couple of times, and get lost easily."

Wot?~! "Get lost easily"?

If you come off the turntable, head out of the main Krashnburne yard and then go north (upwards on the map) in essence you will find it's just an oval track folder back on itself several times. Eventually it will bring you back to where you start:

KrashnburneRRCo_MultiPlayer.jpg

You downloaded the "Iowa Central" route? Thats the name of the one were using. I'm test running it so to speak and theirs no land/terrain yet.

I origianlly posted this topic on August 25 to prompt a discussion of what MP sessions should look like.

4 weeks later ff503750 requested the Krashnburne Yard Switcher position. Three days later, francis5653 requested a position.

In the mean time, I am working on a bigger route, the Iowa Central, that I have discussed with ff503750 and which he is testing for me.

Sorry about any confusion, but there can be no session until we have a full compliment of 6 players and we can all agree on a time and duration for the session.

I am willing to running a Krashnburne MP session whenever we can get a total of 6 players (that includes me).

As Philskene said in his post, this is not a complicated route. I find the best way to keep properly oriented is to make a schematic diagram. Cut the loop just east of Krashnburne and stretch the main line out into a straight line. Then you just need to keep track of which way is east and west and you will never be lost.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

David

Back