UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

AppenPug1_zpsfd5986a2.jpg~original

Appen docks pilot ventures out towards the station.

It's a chilly time of year, as an early evening freight eases out of the north curve through Lavenham en route towards Bury St Edmunds....

paulsw2_20141218_0019.jpg

Paul

AynsVPw.jpg

We're off to Blackpool, August Bank Holiday 1959 style!

This was a charter by the Daily Mirror for a bank holiday excursion to Blackpool . The loco, which was shortly due for withdrawal, was specially painted in the Daily Mirror colours: red cab and splashers, bright yellow boiler and tender, white wheels and black smokebox and Daily Mirror, Andy Capp and Blackpool Special painted on the tender sides. In addition a chime whistle was borrowed from a Clan Pacific for the trip. The "artistry" was reportedly carried out by Gorton Works, amid rumours that Derby had refused to do it. After the trip 41101 quickly disappeared to Derby for cutting up. A photo appeared in Trains Illustrated (10/59) of the loco on Newton Heath shed carried the heading, "Sacrilege"!

It actually ran from Manchester to Blackpool, I've posed it at ECML York.

Last edited:
16637182502_14d2ab4473_b.jpg

On the Metropolitan sometime between 1961 - 71, an A Stock set hurries past a London Transport pannier performing shunting duties on glen1974's LMR South route.

I tried reproducing the old Kodachrome effect you see on old photos from that period, although I'm not too keen on it, I think it looks better than the 'crystal' appearance of an ordinary screenshot.

War Department 2-8-0 'Austerity' leads an empty sandstone train back towards Murkle Quarry.

paulsw2_20150619_0002.jpg

Paul

Norton Manor is near Norton Fizwarren, Taunton, and is these days the home of 40 Commando. The WSR renamed 7828 Odney Manor in 2011 as recognition of the service given by the Royal Marines. She still runs as Odney occasionally at gala's etc.

Anthony

Last edited:
A BR Austerity on a winter time rehash (WIP) of Rosworth Vale route.

eKk61sU.png

Very shiny wheels on those coal wagons... must be new.

Regards,

Dave

Back