Turnout control and AI

How do you stop a turnout from not allowing me to change the point directions when a car or engine are “too” close? I currently have to be about two or more car lengths from the turnout before I gain control Versus AI control (what does this mean?). That seems like a lot, and I have seen videos where people are controlling turnouts where the car is just past the points. I assume there is some setting or preference that allows me to control the distance. Correct??? I looked via the Wiki site and searched on this site but did not find an answer. Help?

You can set the distance to be less than the overly pessimistic 20 meters. This is done by setting the trigger radius of the switch lever.

Click on the track tab in Surveyor then the track marks and triggers tab. This is the third tab to the far right on the pullout.
Located at the bottom of the panel are some radius-setting tools.

Click on the Advanced tab on the bottom to show them.

Located inside a small space is the radius-value, which is 20 meters or the default. You can also get the radius by clicking on the Get Radius button to the left.
When you click, a yellow slice will appear.

In the small space where the 20.00 is located, type in the radius you want to set. There are caveats here. There can be such a thing as being too close. 5 or 10 meters seems comfortable to me. Remember this is nearly 18 feet for 5 meters. (39.5 X 5), so that may be plenty far away.
Click on Set Trigger Radius to set the value, otherwise it'll jump back to 20 meters.

Hope this helps. I've done this too in those places where the default distance is a bit too far away.

JCitron
Am I correct that you would have to adjust the radius of each switch lever? I went into Surveyor Classic following your instructions and would set the default on 'Trigger' to 5 and Set Trigger Radius but when I went into Driver then back to Surveyor Classic 'Trigger' showed 20 again. Also is it possible to do this in Surveyor 2?
Thanks

JCitron
Am I correct that you would have to adjust the radius of each switch lever? I went into Surveyor Classic following your instructions and would set the default on 'Trigger' to 5 and Set Trigger Radius but when I went into Driver then back to Surveyor Classic 'Trigger' showed 20 again. Also is it possible to do this in Surveyor 2?
Thanks
That is correct because you did not save before you went to driver mode.

Back