TS2009-Beta2

barbeam

I received the email for TS2009-Beta2, downloaded the new version and installed it.
In the email were no instructions about reporting new bugs. (of course this version has no bugs??!!:) ).
If I find new bugs, do I have to report in the same way as beta1?

I received the email for TS2009-Beta2, downloaded the new version and installed it.
In the email were no instructions about reporting new bugs. (of course this version has no bugs??!!:) ).
If I find new bugs, do I have to report in the same way as beta1?

You will have to wait till the magic of service packs, because: "Regular Service Packs are the best way of making sure that we continue to improve Trainz on an ongoing basis." -- Tony Hiliam Let me remind you: TRS2006 ... only one SP and only for the English language version and none for the other language versions. TC1+2 ... no SP TC3 ... one minor patch that only shut off problems instead of fixing them. Let us wait and see how much truth there is in the quote. I think I will wait with ordering till after at least 2 service packs.

Past performance is not necessarily a good indication of the future :)

Yes barbeam - submit new bugs as per the same system.

As our colleague has pointed out, testing and improving Trainz is an ongoing process. Some people will want to wait until others have put the product through its paces, and others are keen to jump in as soon as they can.

Our total focus as a company is on making sure that Trainz 2009 is the defining version of Trainz. We have put this version through far more rigorous testing than ever before and I believe (and Beta testers could probably back me up on this) that Beta 1 was more like an "old Auran" V1 release. The Gold Master release next week is already at about SP1 or 2. The Service Pack 1 for 2009 which WILL be released this year is even well advanced and we have already begun internal testing on that version.

It is true that we could wait another month until SP1 has been externally tested, bug fixed and polished, and then make that our official release. We could also wait another month after that and fix another 100 issues. The key is whether the release build is stable and enjoyable. We're 99% of the way there.

I'm sorry for the software development lesson but it's understandable that people want a "bug free" product. The reality is that this will never ever happen.

Past performance is not necessarily a good indication of the future :)

Yes barbeam - submit new bugs as per the same system.

As our colleague has pointed out, testing and improving Trainz is an ongoing process. Some people will want to wait until others have put the product through its paces, and others are keen to jump in as soon as they can.

Our total focus as a company is on making sure that Trainz 2009 is the defining version of Trainz. We have put this version through far more rigorous testing than ever before and I believe (and Beta testers could probably back me up on this) that Beta 1 was more like an "old Auran" V1 release. The Gold Master release next week is already at about SP1 or 2. The Service Pack 1 for 2009 which WILL be released this year is even well advanced and we have already begun internal testing on that version.

It is true that we could wait another month until SP1 has been externally tested, bug fixed and polished, and then make that our official release. We could also wait another month after that and fix another 100 issues. The key is whether the release build is stable and enjoyable. We're 99% of the way there.

I'm sorry for the software development lesson but it's understandable that people want a "bug free" product. The reality is that this will never ever happen.

The problem is not that you will release SP's but that you haven't for previous ones. I am still waiting for my TC3 update because it is still crap. THAT is bad business.

There is a patch for TC3 available and there have been packs for all previous releases. One of the main ideas behind 2009 is to bring everyone on to one platform so that it is possible to provide better support. Trainz is already a very niche product and with a fragmented user base it is impossible to simultaneously support 6 different versions.

In other words, if we get lots of customer support for TS2009 we can provide far better support in return. Right now pre-orders indicate that we will get a good percentage of customers upgrading which means service packs will be bigger and better than in the past.

Back