TRS22 - New Terrain Behaviour Or Bug

Vern

Trainz Maverick
When creating a model railway I normally copy and paste the terrain height (usually -48m) to lower the floor level. In TRS19 you could overlap the edges to get a neat finish.

Applying the same technique in TRS22, Surveyor is auto generating an additional tile/baseboard where the paste tool goes over the edge of the "world".

This is not needed or required? Any way of suppressing this behaviour in Settings?

Vern,

I'm sorry to inform you that this is a new "feature". I complained about it and was told in so many words that it's by design and deal with it.

If you upgrade to Trainz+, you can use the new Surveyor 2.0. With S20, you can drag out the number of baseboards you want using the overhead view and an area tool.

Vern,

I'm sorry to inform you that this is a new "feature". I complained about it and was told in so many words that it's by design and deal with it.

If you upgrade to Trainz+, you can use the new Surveyor 2.0. With S20, you can drag out the number of baseboards you want using the overhead view and an area tool.

I refuse to buy into the subscription model, John.

Got to wonder what bright spark dropped that idea on the whiteboard. Obviously not someone who uses Surveyor on a regular basis to build model style routes! :)

I refuse to buy into the subscription model, John.

Got to wonder what bright spark dropped that idea on the whiteboard. Obviously not someone who uses Surveyor on a regular basis to build model style routes! :)

I agree regarding the bright spark this has been an itch I scratch and rub in every time I find something that needs attention such as this.

Eventually, like most features both good and bad, the new Surveyor most likely will make its way into TRS22. At the moment, it's still truly a work in progress. While it functions okay, there's still a lot of real annoyances and things that still haven't been fixed because HD terrain is more fun to work on instead. The good news is that by the time the new features make their way into the new product, the bugs for the most part have been worked out.

For some, the subscription works. I don't mind it. I won't go into the "politics" of it. It's not worth it.

15 Bucks is cheap for a subscription for all the DLC you get to use. I never believed in subscription based services in the past, But this is a really cheap way to get to use so much for so little. Trainz is still a company, And needs to make money. I paid a fortune to play the other train sims. Subscription base is going to be the future for most companies. When Trainz 19 and 22 came out, I simply didn't have the extra money to buy full games. What Trainz did, was a blessing for me. I understand how some people feel, But the subscription also includes the FCT. Just my thoughts, All is well.

Unlike TSW or TSC I almost never play the routes that come with or can be purchased for Trainz. I use it almost entirely to build model railway style routes these days. Until such time as N3V offer the ability to create proper timetables with the AI signaller/dispatcher sorting out routing, not to mention dubious physics and ancient/aliased cabs and sounds on much of the traction in the game. No proper simulation of vacuum or stepped braking.

So $15/£12 a month subscription not value in my use of the game, especially if you cancel and lose everything. At least with TSC or TSW once you spend £25 or £30 on a route (less in a sale) it's yours to own forever. I picked up TRS22 for £30 in a recent Steam sale, which is less than three months on the so called Netflix style model.

Anyhow that's kind of beside the point. Like John I can't see why they introduced a totally not need function into the terrain copy and paste function.

I’ve been using set height tool in Trainz 22+ S2.0 a lot and haven’t had any baseboards added and my edges are crisp. The only time I see additional baseboards is when I add them manually. Granted I’m not using Surveyor 1.0 or classic.

I’ve been using set height tool in Trainz 22+ S2.0 a lot and haven’t had any baseboards added and my edges are crisp. The only time I see additional baseboards is when I add them manually. Granted I’m not using Surveyor 1.0 or classic.
Set Height is not quite the same. This is when you use the copy and paste tool to copy a section of terrain height to quickly flatten the surrounding area, e.g. setting floor level in a model railway room. As noted previously in TRS19 you could go right up to and overlap the tile edge and it would cleanly lower the terrain. In TRS22 it's adding an unwanted extra baseboard/tile.

Back